An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do Some Christians Say Catholics Aren't Christian?

Hilde

Roamin'Catholic

[quote name='Socrates' post='1765181' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:17 PM']I'm sorry - not to sound like a proddy here - but that is an incredibly ignorant statement, and one that will not bring any protestants to the Faith if they heard it.

While it is true that the fullness of Catholic Faith is much deeper than any protestant form of Christianity, it's simply not true that all non-Catholic Christians have a faith that's "so juvenile and so dumbed down, it seems a monkey would have the capacity to know and articulate such a faith."
Many protestants, while unfortunately holding erroneous beliefs, have a knowledge of Scripture much deeper and extensive than many self-professed Catholics.
And it is false to claim that all protestant Faith is juvenile and dumbed-down. Many non-Catholics have a genuine love for Christ and desire to know truth, despite the fact that they do not have the fullness of Faith, and hold erroneous beliefs.
My parents were both converts from protestant sects, and my mom from a young age had read the Bible forwards and backwards. Unfortunately, I've seen many Catholics whose knowledge of Scripture is next to nil (and many know little more about the Catechism, for that matter). And many show no serious desire to learn about their Faith, either.
We need to face that there is a huge problem of lack of good catechesis among Catholics , and while the depths of the Catholic Faith are infinitely deep, the sad reality is that many know less of their faith than protestants not because of the depth of the Faith, but because many make little effort to even skim the depths of their Faith.
We should not be smug in our superiority over Protestants, but humbly try to bring non-Catholic Christians into the Church, acknowledging that some have a sincere Faith, and are seeking truth. Some of these may be brought into the fullness of Faith in the Church. But glibly (and ignorantly) writing off the Faith of all protestants as dumb and juvenile will achieve nothing, and likely turn sincere Christians away from the Catholic Faith.[/quote]

All very true. My apologies for letting my pride get the best of me and for not representing Catholicism in a more charitable manner. May God bless you.

Today one of my protestant friends asked me about the eucharist. He asked, "So is the wine REALLY the blood of Christ?" So I patiently explained why (from scripture since he wont accept tradition) it [i]has[/i] to be the blood of Christ.

after that he had this "Oh! .... that actually makes sense" look on his face, but didn't inquire further.

Often times that's all God needs. Afterall its not up to our arguementative prowess to win converts. All we need to do is be ready with an answer, and then pray of course. God is the only one who can affect a heart.

Edited by sweens8403

dominicansoul

why do they say this? because they are ignorant, bigoted, modern-day pharisees who are the only ones "saved" while everybody else around them are going to hell in a handbasket....and they memorize certain Scripture passages (out of context) and use these to condemn everybody else around them but themselves....

...that's why!

HisChildForever

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1766059' date='Jan 29 2009, 06:47 PM']because they are ignorant, bigoted, modern-day pharisees[/quote]

Oh dear...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1766063' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:57 PM']...i apologize...i am speaking from my own personal experiences with this.....[/quote]
I can understand your frustration, my baptist aunt reminded me at regular intervals that I was going to hell for being catholic.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1765181' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:17 PM']I'm sorry - not to sound like a proddy here - but that is an incredibly ignorant statement, and one that will not bring any protestants to the Faith if they heard it.

While it is true that the fullness of Catholic Faith is much deeper than any protestant form of Christianity, it's simply not true that all non-Catholic Christians have a faith that's "so juvenile and so dumbed down, it seems a monkey would have the capacity to know and articulate such a faith."
Many protestants, while unfortunately holding erroneous beliefs, have a knowledge of Scripture much deeper and extensive than many self-professed Catholics.
And it is false to claim that all protestant Faith is juvenile and dumbed-down. Many non-Catholics have a genuine love for Christ and desire to know truth, despite the fact that they do not have the fullness of Faith, and hold erroneous beliefs.
My parents were both converts from protestant sects, and my mom from a young age had read the Bible forwards and backwards. Unfortunately, I've seen many Catholics whose knowledge of Scripture is next to nil (and many know little more about the Catechism, for that matter). And many show no serious desire to learn about their Faith, either.
We need to face that there is a huge problem of lack of good catechesis among Catholics , and while the depths of the Catholic Faith are infinitely deep, the sad reality is that many know less of their faith than protestants not because of the depth of the Faith, but because many make little effort to even skim the depths of their Faith.
We should not be smug in our superiority over Protestants, but humbly try to bring non-Catholic Christians into the Church, acknowledging that some have a sincere Faith, and are seeking truth. Some of these may be brought into the fullness of Faith in the Church. But glibly (and ignorantly) writing off the Faith of all protestants as dumb and juvenile will achieve nothing, and likely turn sincere Christians away from the Catholic Faith.[/quote]

All so true - it saddens me that alot of Catholics I know think that just going to church will save them, (or some think just mere self proclamation as a Catholic like its a membership will save them, and they dont need to go to mass or do anything) and some have no idea about who Jesus is and why he died for us. To them, its become more just a ritual and tradition than knowing the true meaning of mass.

I still struggle to wonder why there is lack of good catechesis among Catholics. Some dont even own a bible, and some dont even read it. I can relate because I was once one of them. Only by the Grace of God that I somewhow came to own one and read and study it.

So - why do some non-Catholics think Catholics are'nt Christian?
Theres a variety of reasons of which most have already touch on so i wont add to it.

But I like to have an explanation (preferably from a protestant) as to why Catholics are not Christian if we agree and profess that Jesus Christ is our personal Lord and Savior - as every Catholic would agree - as that is the formula for alot of non-Catholic Christians to become "born-again" or become Christians so to speak?

Peace to all,
Rob