An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Greatest Book Ever Anywhere O.o !

Hassan

I can't tell you how may phatmassers approach me on the street and say "Hey Hassan, you may be a young man but I've always look upon you as a grandfatherly figure, far wise beyond your years." Obviously this is correct, as you can tell from my habits of handing out change and candies to children, my jolly laugh, an many wise metaphors :mellow: But these phatmassers usually continue, "well besides your grandfatherly ways I really admire your screenname. It's obviously the greatest screen name on phatmass and prolly ever made ever on the whole internet. Anyway, I've heard the name is a literary reference and being the wise grandfather figure you all I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me what amazing book it is from". So to avoid this situation from now on (I mean goodness, I'm actually really busy and can't engage in all this small talk), I thought I'd do some more blatant advertising :detective:

"Death and the Deverish" by Mesa Selimovic.

[i]From Publishers Weekly
Lauded by the publisher for its contribution to understanding "the current crisis" in the former Yugoslavia, this tale of moral failure takes place at some undefined point during the Ottoman occupation of Muslim Bosnia. It was a bestseller when published in Yugoslavia in 1966, but it seems probable that its popularity lay more in its portrayal of a Yugoslavia oppressed than in any intrinsic artistry. Ahmed, the dervish of the title, has lived in religious seclusion for most of his life; his searching, self-centered and at times deranged internal dialogue constitutes most of this lengthy narrative. Selimovic (The Island; The Fortress) portrays a man hopelessly out of touch with himself and others, viciously in need of being right, secretly coveting power for himself. Groveling before authority, he knowingly betrays innocent people, yet rationalizes everything with perverted interpretations of the Koran. His brother's death, towards the beginning of the novel, and the near-destruction of the community's purest and most generous soul, by the end, enclose a tortuous psychological exposition of the perils of delusion and the ease with which fear destroys the most unyielding moral good. It is a probing portrait containing some valuable insights, yet with a character as insipid as Ahmed, it is hard to really care.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal
Sheikh Ahmed Nuruddin is a dervish (an Islamic ascetic) and spiritual leader of a community during the Turkish occupation of Bosnia. Having spent most of his adult years deliberately avoiding the turmoil of everyday life, he finds himself sucked into its vortex by the arrest of his brother. His reluctant investigation into the matter brings him face to face with his own moral cowardice and causes a devastating crisis of faith that calls into question the value of his entire life. Originally published in Yugoslavia in the 1960s, and subsequently translated into several languages, this late author's chef-d'oeuvre is highly recommended both for Eastern European collections as well as any collection of serious fiction.?Sister M. Anna Falbo, Villa Maria Coll. Lib., Buffalo, N.Y.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title. [/i]

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Death-Dervish-Writings-Unbound-Europe/dp/0810112973"]http://www.amazon.com/Death-Dervish-Writin...e/dp/0810112973[/url]

Selimovic was an ethnic Serb writer who came from a Bosnia. He came from a Muslim family but was an atheist and became a member of the communist party, in fact the book is about the execution of his brother who was killed by the Yugoslavian communist party for (I believe) stealing furniture. The book is steeped in Baltic culture which can make some of the allusions difficult. However there is a glossary and it's well worth it. Like many Slavic writers Selimovic is high on detail, but even more importantly the book is big on character introspection and stream of consciousness.

It's even better than Dostoevsky :shock:

So read it or no more candy and change :annoyed:

:topsy: :topsy: :topsy:

Dude what did you have for dinner? Was it a light colored liquid or a dark colored one? More importantly, do you have any left?

missionseeker

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1767193' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:39 PM']Dude what did you have for dinner? Was it a light colored liquid or a dark colored one? More importantly, do you have any left?[/quote]

:lol_pound:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1767193' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:39 PM']Dude what did you have for dinner? Was it a light colored liquid or a dark colored one? More importantly, do you have any left?[/quote]

I don't drink. I just think it's a really great book, but few people outside of ex Yougoslavia ever read it, which I think is a shame.

It's like when Dostoevsky went so long without being recognised as great in the US.

Dostoevsky is widely read among Catholics at our university. In fact the dean of students gives a copy of his works to every student who remains on the honor role.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1767118' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:57 PM']I can't tell you how may phatmassers approach me on the street and say "Hey Hassan, you may be a young man but I've always look upon you as a grandfatherly figure, far wise beyond your years." Obviously this is correct, as you can tell from my habits of handing out change and candies to children, my jolly laugh, an many wise metaphors :mellow:[/quote]

That is one of the funniest things I've ever read! ROFL! -Katie

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1767361' date='Jan 31 2009, 01:06 AM']Dostoevsky is widely read among Catholics at our university. In fact the dean of students gives a copy of his works to every student who remains on the honor role.[/quote]

wise man.

And lucky students, I've been on the Chencelor's list for two of three semsters and all I've gotten is a signed letter from that chap congradulating me. When I get mine for this semester I'll write a return letter, "Send Books Jerk!" :smokey:

Edited by Hassan

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1767379' date='Jan 31 2009, 01:20 AM']That is one of the funniest things I've ever read! ROFL! -Katie[/quote]

:topsy:

missionseeker

[quote name='Hassan' post='1767581' date='Jan 31 2009, 01:37 PM']wise man.

And lucky students, I've been on the Chencelor's list for two of three semsters and all I've gotten is a signed letter from that chap congradulating me. When I get mine for this semester I'll write a return letter, "Send Books Jerk!" :smokey:[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='rachael' post='1767642' date='Jan 31 2009, 02:49 PM']no. really? :mellow:[/quote]

well because in real life my candy distribution habits, wise metaphores, and jolly laugh are so well known I wanted to be clear that in this cane I was just joking :unsure: