An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Greatest Book Ever Anywhere O.o !

Hassan

that sounds tempting. I'm almost inclined to read it just to see it is as good as you say such as Dosteoevsky. And I love stream of conciousness literature. There is this one book by a certain Mark Z. Danielewski that I particularly like and its almost pure stream of conciousness. If done well it can be incredibly powerful narrative form.

[quote name='kafka' post='1767967' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:06 PM']that sounds tempting. I'm almost inclined to read it just to see it is as good as you say such as Dosteoevsky. And I love stream of conciousness literature. There is this one book by a certain Mark Z. Danielewski that I particularly like and its almost pure stream of conciousness. If done well it can be incredibly powerful narrative form.[/quote]

Yes, unfortunately both Selimovic and Dostoevsky novels are, from what I hear, a bit muddled by the English language. A friend of mine from Croatia recommended Selimovic's work to me and she mentioned some particular instances. For example at one point early on the English translation reads something like "But who almighty God, you who have abandoned me to the greatest of human miseries, which is to know oneself" by this implication the protagonist is implying that the greatest of human miseries is to be forced to "know oneself" to be forced to come to accounts with who one is. At the same time it could be translated in such a way as to imply that God abandoned him to the greatest of human miseries so that he may know himself.

I'm not a slavophile in any sense I find the culture no more interesting than any other. But for some reason I love Slavic literature. I think it might be the focus on detail. Anyway, it is a really good work. I'd hesitate to say that his thought is any deeper than Dostoevsky, but it is similarly deep (which is saying a lot considering what a genius Dostoevsky was) and much more stylistically pleasing, more poetic.

I'll check out that author you mentioned. He looks like a fascinating author.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1768034' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:55 PM']Yes, unfortunately both Selimovic and Dostoevsky novels are, from what I hear, a bit muddled by the English language. A friend of mine from Croatia recommended Selimovic's work to me and she mentioned some particular instances. For example at one point early on the English translation reads something like "But who almighty God, you who have abandoned me to the greatest of human miseries, which is to know oneself" by this implication the protagonist is implying that the greatest of human miseries is to be forced to "know oneself" to be forced to come to accounts with who one is. At the same time it could be translated in such a way as to imply that God abandoned him to the greatest of human miseries so that he may know himself.

I'm not a slavophile in any sense I find the culture no more interesting than any other. But for some reason I love Slavic literature. I think it might be the focus on detail. Anyway, it is a really good work. I'd hesitate to say that his thought is any deeper than Dostoevsky, but it is similarly deep (which is saying a lot considering what a genius Dostoevsky was) and much more stylistically pleasing, more poetic.

I'll check out that author you mentioned. He looks like a fascinating author.[/quote]
Very interesting. I'm attracted to Slavic music, like Chopin's mazurkas. There culture tend to be very intense, very sad. The Slavs from what I've gathered from their literature and music, tend to be very deep, very soulful. I read an expression of theirs which goes something like they are happy when they are sad and sad when they are happy.

I'm not against the idea that someone may be more profound and better than Dostoevsky. Its surprising how many great artists out there that are under the radar.

Yeah Danielewski is amazing. I would venture to say his two novels "House of Leaves" and "Only Revolutions" are among the finest in American literature, yet they are ultra-modern, and difficult for anyone who is used to traditional narrative. His book "Only Revolutions" is probably the most unique novel I have ever encountered. Its out of this world in ambition, and it works for someone with an open mind, and willing to put in a little effort. It is inconceivably layered. An average person would say it is contrived and dismiss it. One critic called it a cult object in search of a cult, and that was meant as a compliment. I also like Nabokov's Pale Fire, and anything by Murakami.

Next time I am at one of the four bookstores I regularily visit I will try and find Selimovic.

[quote name='kafka' post='1768052' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:13 PM']Very interesting. I'm attracted to Slavic music, like Chopin's mazurkas. There culture tend to be very intense, very sad. The Slavs from what I've gathered from their literature and music, tend to be very deep, very soulful. I read an expression of theirs which goes something like they are happy when they are sad and sad when they are happy.[/quote]

I know almost nothing about music but I will definitly check out that Chopin fellow.

[quote]I'm not against the idea that someone may be more profound and better than Dostoevsky. Its surprising how many great artists out there that are under the radar.[/quote]

I only say he's better than Dostoevsky because he combines the depth of thought with beautiful style. I just always loved him (Dostoevsky) primairly because of his amazing raw intelectual power. I mean I appreciate his style, but I just am always aware of how much of his style is lost due to the translation.

[quote]Yeah Danielewski is amazing. I would venture to say his two novels "House of Leaves" and "Only Revolutions" are among the finest in American literature, yet they are ultra-modern, and difficult for anyone who is used to traditional narrative. His book "Only Revolutions" is probably the most unique novel I have ever encountered. Its out of this world in ambition, and it works for someone with an open mind, and willing to put in a little effort. It is inconceivably layered. An average person would say it is contrived and dismiss it. One critic called it a cult object in search of a cult, and that was meant as a compliment. I also like Nabokov's Pale Fire, and anything by Murakami.[/quote]

lol wow. I'm checking him out on Amizon now. I think I'm going to order "House of Leaves" within the next week or so. Although it looks like it might take some time to digest (which is fine, in my experience most good books do).

[quote]Next time I am at one of the four bookstores I regularily visit I will try and find Selimovic.[/quote]

You'd prolly have to do it by mail, he's very rarely found outside of Yougoslavia unfortunatly.

Edited by Hassan

[quote name='Hassan' post='1768064' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:32 PM']lol wow. I'm checking him out on Amizon now. I think I'm going to order "House of Leaves" within the next week or so. Although it looks like it might take some time to digest (which is fine, in my experience most good books do).

You'd prolly have to do it by mail, he's very rarely found outside of Yougoslavia unfortunatly.[/quote]
You'd be surprised I have some unique bookstores over here.

when I first encounterd "House of Leaves" at my local Borders, it was broad daylight. I sat down and began to read it and I soon became as scared as a child who is afraid of the dark. Its creepy, and it isnt even a horror novel. I guess one could call it a conceptual novel. If you do read it, be prepared. :) He actually ate at soup kitchens and took odd jobs in order to focus on writing it.

Still I like "Only Revolutions" more. Its heavy with wordplay and heady with love. One person wrote, "its like a love story slipped into a particular accelerator" There are so many themes it is mind-boggling. I guess Danielewski spent five years on a strict regimen and spent all of his royalties from House of Leaves in order to write it.

I wish I had that sort of devotion and vision.

[quote name='kafka' post='1768094' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:52 PM']You'd be surprised I have some unique bookstores over here.

when I first encounterd "House of Leaves" at my local Borders, it was broad daylight. I sat down and began to read it and I soon became as scared as a child who is afraid of the dark. Its creepy, and it isnt even a horror novel. I guess one could call it a conceptual novel. If you do read it, be prepared. :) He actually ate at soup kitchens and took odd jobs in order to focus on writing it.

Still I like "Only Revolutions" more. Its heavy with wordplay and heady with love. One person wrote, "its like a love story slipped into a particular accelerator" There are so many themes it is mind-boggling. I guess Danielewski spent five years on a strict regimen and spent all of his royalties from House of Leaves in order to write it.

I wish I had that sort of devotion and vision.[/quote]

Well that was the one I was more interested in but for some reason I was under the impression that one ought to read "leaves" before Rebellion. Good luck hunting for Selimovic

[quote name='Hassan' post='1768318' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:08 AM']Well that was the one I was more interested in but for some reason I was under the impression that one ought to read "leaves" before Rebellion. Good luck hunting for Selimovic[/quote]
oh yeah they are both good. Enjoy! They arent connected though, as a matter of fact he purposely left the word "house" out of Only Revolutions, cause he was afraid people would think of his first book. :)

[quote name='kafka' post='1768325' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:13 AM']oh yeah they are both good. Enjoy! They arent connected though, as a matter of fact he purposely left the word "house" out of Only Revolutions, cause he was afraid people would think of his first book. :)[/quote]

ah, well then perhapse I will start with "Only Revolutions". Thanks

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Hassan' post='1767208' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:45 PM'][b]I don't drink.[/b] I just think it's a really great book, but few people outside of ex Yougoslavia ever read it, which I think is a shame.

It's like when Dostoevsky went so long without being recognised as great in the US.[/quote]
:huh:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1938763' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:05 AM']I don't drink. I just think it's a really great book, but few people outside of ex Yougoslavia ever read it, which I think is a shame.

It's like when Dostoevsky went so long without being recognised as great in the US.

[quote]:huh:[/quote][/quote]

That must have been from when you were a real muslim.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1938764' date='Aug 2 2009, 02:08 AM']That must have been from when you were a real muslim.[/quote]

I have never, ever been a Muslim :ohno:

That was a number of months ago, and I went about a year when I had determined never to drink because I learned a relative was an alcoholic.

I guess that was what was going on there :idontknow: