An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Young Is Too Young For The Death Penalty?

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/us/03bar.html?_r=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink"]the NY Times[/url] asks if it is 'cruel and unusual' punishment to send a 13 year old boy to death row for raping a 72-year old woman twice at knifepoint.

[url="http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/50578575.html?FMT=FT&dids=50578575:50578575&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Dec+14%2C+1989&author=ap&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&desc=Teen+gets+life+terms+for+raping+woman"]this was the original article in 1989.[/url]

HisChildForever

How horrendous.

The norm - juvenile court. However, for severe crimes, a juvenile can be treated like an adult and be sent to adult court. While the juvenile would get an adult sentence, he or she would be first placed in a juvenile facility until 18 (and then will be moved to an adult facility). As for the death penalty? I would have to say "no" because he committed the offense at age 13.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1771250' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:09 PM']I would have to say "no" because he committed the offense at age 13.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
why? i think in the original article, it did say that he already had a long criminal record (which usually in adults leads to harsher sentencing/punishments).

also, i think the NY Times article is intentionally pushing the emotional buttons.

+J.M.J.+
btw, i'm not saying i advocate for the death penalty in his case. just trying to play devil's advocate. ;) i think a life sentence would be appropriate though.

How young is too young for the death penalty?

Oh I'd say executing anyone under 175 is immoral and unnecessary in America...

Edited by VoTeckam

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1771267' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:31 PM']How young is too young for the death penalty?

Oh I'd say executing anyone under 175 is immoral and unnecessary in America...[/quote]

Except that murders tend to keep murdering, even inside jail.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1771287' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:46 PM']Except that murders tend to keep murdering, even inside jail.[/quote]

Any stats on this? Even if there is a larger percentage of murders in jail than there is in the general population there are certainly other ways to prevent this than to murder murders, no?
We must persue every option before the death penalty is used.

Edited by VoTeckam

My father would have said you are just as dead if you are killed by a 16 year old or a 60 year old. As a very outspoken opponent of the death penalty, I would agree that 175 is still too young.

However, as someone from the last state to execute someone who committed murder before the age of 18, I would like to point out that a child's brain doesn't work the same way as an adult's brain. I can't remember where I saw it, but the human brain is still developing until the age of 25 or so.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1771253' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:14 PM']+J.M.J.+
why? i think in the original article, it did say that he already had a long criminal record (which usually in adults leads to harsher sentencing/punishments).[/quote]

We discussed this in class (Community Corrections) just last week. If an individual commits a crime at age 15 (for example) and does not get caught until they are 40, they committed the crime as a juvenile, therefore for that specific crime, it will be in juvenile court (unless, as I mentioned above, the offense is serious enough and the case is waivered to adult court).

HisChildForever

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1771292' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:52 PM']Any stats on this? Even if there is a larger percentage of murders in jail than there is in the general population there are certainly other ways to prevent this than to murder murders, no?
We must persue every option before the death penalty is used.[/quote]

Basically, if you sentence a dangerous individual (in this instance, a murderer) to life in prison without parole, they have absolutely no motivation to be on their best (or at least civilized) behavior. Perhaps if they behave themselves they will be able to apply for certain programs (such as community service - just to get out of the prison for a few hours), but this would be short-term motivation. And even then some may not bother to care about such programs.

What would you suggest, may I ask? Solitary confinement? How is that any more humane than the death penalty?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1771353' date='Feb 3 2009, 05:26 PM']Basically, if you sentence a dangerous individual (in this instance, a murderer) to life in prison without parole, they have absolutely no motivation to be on their best (or at least civilized) behavior. Perhaps if they behave themselves they will be able to apply for certain programs (such as community service - just to get out of the prison for a few hours), but this would be short-term motivation. And even then some may not bother to care about such programs.

What would you suggest, may I ask? Solitary confinement? How is that any more humane than the death penalty?[/quote]

As someone who is involved in prison minstry I would suggest an actual rehabilitation system instead of the kennels that are currently in use.

Access to education, therapy, work programs and FORGIVENESS... all of these would be a good start.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1771353' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:26 PM']Basically, if you sentence a dangerous individual (in this instance, a murderer) to life in prison without parole, they have absolutely no motivation to be on their best (or at least civilized) behavior. Perhaps if they behave themselves they will be able to apply for certain programs (such as community service - just to get out of the prison for a few hours), but this would be short-term motivation. And even then some may not bother to care about such programs.

What would you suggest, may I ask? Solitary confinement? How is that any more humane than the death penalty?[/quote]

oh gee... I dunno, they're not dead?

HisChildForever

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1771367' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:37 PM']As someone who is involved in prison minstry I would suggest an actual rehabilitation system instead of the kennels that are currently in use.

Access to education, therapy, work programs and FORGIVENESS... all of these would be a good start.[/quote]

Do you work with murderers? (Genuine question stemming from great interest).

I do not have much time to type an appropriate response to this but I will after work.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1771369' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:38 PM']oh gee... I dunno, they're not dead?[/quote]

Rudeness really has no place here.

I think the death penalty, while seemingly 'just' by our innate human craving for exacting justice, is an affront to God when there is any other course of action available. In the US there is always another option beyond the death penalty. Sentencing a child to death, no matter how grave or depraved the crime, just demonstrates a lack of belief in the capacity for redemption in the human person.

Edited by Veridicus

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1771367' date='Feb 3 2009, 05:37 PM']As someone who is involved in prison minstry I would suggest an actual rehabilitation system instead of the kennels that are currently in use.

Access to education, therapy, work programs and FORGIVENESS... all of these would be a good start.[/quote]
Forgiveness and justice are two different things. You can be forgiven but still have to serve your sentence. If you eventually are going to be released or not getting the death penalty - education, therapy, religious ministry and work programs are excellent programs.