An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Young Is Too Young For The Death Penalty?

Lil Red

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1779257' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:38 PM']The new testament supports the use of Capital Punishment, as shown earlier in the thread, so this null and voids your objection. The New Testament also teaches that the punishment must be equal to the crime committed. The only punishment truly equal to the crime of murder is capital punishment.[/quote]

BUT is the New Testament really saying that the point of the death penalty is revenge, not protection of society? -Katie

KnightofChrist

St. Paul under guidance of the Holy Spirit wrote as much in Rom 13:4.

[i]For he (the state) is God's minister to thee, for good. But if thou do that which is evil, fear: for he beareth not the sword in vain. [u]For he is God's minister[/u]: [b]an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil.[/i][/b]

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1779267' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:44 PM']St. Paul under guidance of the Holy Spirit wrote as much in Rom 13:4.

[i]For he (the state) is God's minister to thee, for good. But if thou do that which is evil, fear: for he beareth not the sword in vain. [u]For he is God's minister[/u]: [b]an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil.[/i][/b][/quote]

I don't see that this statement is at odds with the thinking that God allowed the death penalty in order to protect society from the dangers of violent criminals-perhaps vengeance can be understood in terms of something necessary and motivated by well being of the greater populace vs. how I usually think of vengeance as an emotional thing. Also, this statement doesn't really set limits for the death penalty so using this passage, couldn't we say that the death penalty may be used for a number of crimes? Where do you draw the line? -Katie

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1779274' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:49 PM']I don't see that this statement is at odds with the thinking that God allowed the death penalty in order to protect society from the dangers of violent criminals-perhaps vengeance can be understood in terms of something necessary and motivated by well being of the greater populace vs. how I usually think of vengeance as an emotional thing. Also, this statement doesn't really set limits for the death penalty so using this passage, couldn't we say that the death penalty may be used for a number of crimes? Where do you draw the line? -Katie[/quote]

Because it is not at odds with it, protecting society is a secondary reason for the death penalty. The primary reason of punishment, as the CCC says, is redressing the disorder introduced by the offense.

Capital Punishment is reserved for horrendous acts of violence, such as murder, and rape. But in some cases things like treason.

I can't debate how you usually think, and I can't play 20 questions tonight. Scripture is clear, the state is an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil. Because the state is God's minister to us, for good.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1779281' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:57 PM']Because it is not at odds with it, protecting society is a secondary reason for the death penalty. The primary reason of punishment, as the CCC says, is redressing the disorder introduced by the offense.

Capital Punishment is reserved for horrendous acts of violence, such as murder, and rape. But in some cases things like treason.

I can't debate how you usually think, and I can't play 20 questions tonight. Scripture is clear, the state is an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil. Because the state is God's minister to us, for good.[/quote]

Whatever, I'm against it so I guess that's all I need to know. -Katie

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1779288' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:02 PM']Whatever, I'm against it so I guess that's all I need to know. -Katie[/quote]

And you can be, personally. :saint:

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1779293' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:06 PM']And you can be, personally. :saint:[/quote]

Sweet. I wasn't trying to play 20 questions or anything, I was just confused by what you were saying, but I'm confused about everything so no worries. -Katie

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1779295' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:07 PM']Sweet. I wasn't trying to play 20 questions or anything, I was just confused by what you were saying, but I'm confused about everything so no worries. -Katie[/quote]

I know I'm sorry, I'm stressed again tonight.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='qfnol31' post='1778501' date='Feb 11 2009, 12:34 AM']If I were 13 and looking at a life sentence, I might almost prefer death.

If I were the state looking to impose a maximum penalty, I'd go for life imprisonment.

Wow, 13 years old would be an awful time to go to jail forever.[/quote]
I don't think any teenager should be sentenced to death.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1779302' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:15 PM']I don't think any teenager should be sentenced to death.[/quote]

My post was deleted and I didn't see your response, but I agree with you. I was just talking about how scary it would be to live in jail for that many years...I wasn't commenting on the state's rights, just on the perspective I think I would have as a 13-year-old.

Edited by qfnol31