An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kids These Days...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Apparently facebook is free from all expectations of being on a peer ministry team due to first amendment rights. Apparently, it is also acceptable to call for the impeachment of your youth minister on facebook as well.

What is wrong with these kids?

I have more stories, but why? This makes me angry. And I'm not even the youth minister or involved with the peer ministry team!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1772939' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:15 PM']Apparently facebook is free from all expectations of being on a peer ministry team due to first amendment rights. Apparently, it is also acceptable to call for the impeachment of your youth minister on facebook as well.

I have more stories, but why? This makes me angry. And I'm not even the youth minister or involved with the peer ministry team![/quote]

Kids lack critical judgement until about 25. So while their mouths may be working, their brains are not always in gear, so they don't always see the practical ramifications or future consequences of their behavior.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1772939' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:15 AM']Apparently facebook is free from all expectations of being on a peer ministry team due to first amendment rights. Apparently, it is also acceptable to call for the impeachment of your youth minister on facebook as well.

I have more stories, but why? This makes me angry. And I'm not even the youth minister or involved with the peer ministry team![/quote]
+J.M.J.+
that's really sad. i'll pray for that youth minister :sign:

HisChildForever

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1772942' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:21 AM']Kids lack critical judgement until about 25.[/quote]

...I resent that.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1772955' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:40 AM']...I resent that.[/quote]

As always, there are exceptions to the rules...rarely in this case but there are.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1772955' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:40 AM']...I resent that.[/quote]

Yes but you're not old enough to properly resent it :P

(Apparently me neither BTW)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1772939' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:15 AM']Apparently facebook is free from all expectations of being on a peer ministry team due to first amendment rights. Apparently, it is also acceptable to call for the impeachment of your youth minister on facebook as well.

I do not know what you mean by the first one but the second is not acceptable. Only in facebook world.

What is wrong with these kids? The internet to them is a safe haven to do things that otherwise they could not do. Everyone scoffs at this but if you sit back and see what is going on you'd all understand.

dominicansoul

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1772942' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:21 AM']Kids lack critical judgement until about 25. So while their mouths may be working, their brains are not always in gear, so they don't always see the practical ramifications or future consequences of their behavior.[/quote]

I find that 18-22 is an age when you truly believe you know more than anybody else, not even your peers and your elders know more than you do....

(...this is usually the first thing you encounter in a novitiate filled with teens and 20 year olds....)

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1772964' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:47 AM']I find that 18-22 is an age when you truly believe you know more than anybody else, not even your peers and your elders know more than you do....[/quote]

IAWTC!!!!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='rkwright' post='1772958' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:43 PM']Yes but you're not old enough to properly resent it :P

(Apparently me neither BTW)[/quote]
lol.
The frontal lobe of your brains reaches maturity at about 25. Interestingly this is when society and the church has usually considered the beginning of adulthood. I can definitely see a difference in judgement in many kids between even say 23 and 25.
Its sad that society today expects kids to make so many life-defining decisions and pushes autonomy and freedom from parental ties before the person is even physically ready.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1772942' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:21 AM']...so they don't always see the practical ramifications or future consequences of their behavior.[/quote]
I only wish they would... :(

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1772950' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:38 AM']+J.M.J.+
that's really sad. i'll pray for that youth minister :sign:[/quote]
She'll appreciate it. She's been doing this for just over 10 years now and this is the worst its been in about 5 or 6 years.

[quote name='picchick' post='1772962' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:46 AM']I do not know what you mean by the first one but the second is not acceptable.[/quote]
I meant that they feel that they can gossip and talk about other members of their team on facebook without consequence and that asking them to stop it is infringing on their first amendment rights.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1772988' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:05 PM']I only wish they would... :(

She'll appreciate it. She's been doing this for just over 10 years now and this is the worst its been in about 5 or 6 years.

I meant that they feel that they can gossip and talk about other members of their team on facebook without consequence and that asking them to stop it is infringing on their first amendment rights.[/quote]
You could point out they can be sued in court for slander, libel, and defamation of character.
It is also sinful.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1772983' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:03 AM']lol.
The frontal lobe of your brains reaches maturity at about 25. Interestingly this is when society and the church has usually considered the beginning of adulthood. I can definitely see a difference in judgement in many kids between even say 23 and 25.
Its sad that society today expects kids to make so many life-defining decisions and pushes autonomy and freedom from parental ties before the person is even physically ready.[/quote]
That is interesting. And I agree with you about society pushing youth to grow up faster and faster. I can already see the difference from when I was in junior high and now with my sister in junior high. It's changed so much.

The kids I'm talking about though are in high school. They aren't even 18 yet.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1772994' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:10 AM']You could point out they can be sued in court for slander, libel, and defamation of character.
It is also sinful.[/quote]
That is a good point to bring up. I didn't even think of something like that... this is serious stuff.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1772997' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:11 PM']That is interesting. And I agree with you about society pushing youth to grow up faster and faster. I can already see the difference from when I was in junior high and now with my sister in junior high. It's changed so much.

The kids I'm talking about though are in high school. They aren't even 18 yet.[/quote]
Then their parents can get in trouble as well as them for what they post.