An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kids These Days...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Just wondering... I don't know how your peer team is set up

But often times they have requirements like 'Be of upstanding character' or something similar.

The students are correct that they can hide behind their 1st amendment rights and are free to post whatever they want. But that doesn't mean what you say doesn't have consequences. They could be kicked off the team for their speech - which is fine. Its a private organization and can have rules and enforce them as it pleases.

If people are acting unbecoming of their position, kick them out.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1772999' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:12 PM']That is a good point to bring up. I didn't even think of something like that... this is serious stuff.[/quote]

I wouldn't consider this a valid option. One it would then cause more trauma to all involved, and force a split in the church. Two it sends the wrong message. The problem isn't what was said, the problem was how it was said. Third, libel, slander, and defamation of character are the hardest things to ever prove in a court. Simply put, it's not worth the time, nor the energy.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1772955' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:40 AM']...I resent that.[/quote]
I actually agree. We kids are pretty stupid.
We hope there's exceptions, but on the other hand, it's probably healthiest just to assume that we personally are no better. Keeps us humble.

eagle_eye222001

Ah, the internet. Where you can hide behind a computer, become a fan and friend of millions by making a click, and joining in the invisibility of millions.

I bet this petition wouldn't happen outside computer-space. :nerd:

The dangers of the internet continue to express themselves.

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/linkin+park/track/what+ive+done"]Linkin Park - What I've Done[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1772955' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:40 PM']...I resent that.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't get it either. Kids are very good at being judgemental and critical.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1772939' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:15 PM']Apparently facebook is free from all expectations of being on a peer ministry team due to first amendment rights. Apparently, it is also acceptable to call for the impeachment of your youth minister on facebook as well.

What is wrong with these kids?

I have more stories, but why? This makes me angry. And I'm not even the youth minister or involved with the peer ministry team![/quote]

What's wrong with them? Same thing that's wrong with everyone who bristles against authority figures...

Without knowing the people involved and all sides of the story, we should stay out of it.

P.S. To clarify why I say this, in many cases of abuse, kids are ignored because their parents/guardians or other authority figures think they're just being kids. Maybe these kids on facebook are just being kids, or maybe they have serious reasons for disliking their youth minister that they aren't making public.

Edited by LouisvilleFan