An Old School Catholic Message Board

History Channel Angst

sweens8403

Does anybody else here watch the history channel?

I enjoy some of their shows like "modern marvels", "histories mysteries", and so forth. Lately however it seems they've been running more religion based programming, and most of their attention is being given to Christianity.

That attention would be good if it weren't for the obvious errors about the Christian faith that they're teaching. They have shown pictures of the pope referring to him as the antichrist, they will interview people who aren't even theology majors, they take portions of scripture and take them out of context (most of them from revelation lately). They have even claimed that Adam had another wife before Eve, and that angels/demons have mated with humans.

It seemed to me that a few years ago they were at least giving Christians a decent representation, but now they're doing anything they can to make us look bad.

Any thoughts?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='sweens8403' post='1775153' date='Feb 7 2009, 03:59 PM']Does anybody else here watch the history channel?

I enjoy some of their shows like "modern marvels", "histories mysteries", and so forth. Lately however it seems they've been running more religion based programming, and most of their attention is being given to Christianity.

That attention would be good if it weren't for the obvious errors about the Christian faith that they're teaching. They have shown pictures of the pope referring to him as the antichrist, they will interview people who aren't even theology majors, they take portions of scripture and take them out of context (most of them from revelation lately). They have even claimed that Adam had another wife before Eve, and that angels/demons have mated with humans.

It seemed to me that a few years ago they were at least giving Christians a decent representation, but now they're doing anything they can to make us look bad.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

They have been anti-christian and particularly anti-catholic for a very long time. Because they are pushing a particular agenda, I see no point in ever turning on their channel again.

Galloglasses' Alt

I saw the documentary about the wife before Eve bit, it wasn't taken from Christian scriptures but from some Jewish Kabbala, (is that right?), and is referring to some woman who got into a fight with Adam over something and left the garden/was banished. I forget the rest of the documentary really, but the name of the woman in question was Lilith. Ironically the first I heard of this was one of my opponents in school who like to challenge me on various topics.

But yeah after a documentary regarding the 'lost book of Nostradamus I stopped taking them seriously when they put on religion documentaries, at the time I liked Nostradamus but I could see odious holes and leaps in logic. They make it for entertainment value, not historical fact in some cases. Like the Crusades: Crescent and the Cross. Entertaining to the max, altough some of the historical accuracy is to be questioned, especially after one of the people they interveiwed came out after words and claimed they manipulated his/her words to make them seem as if they supported something else.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1775206' date='Feb 7 2009, 04:59 PM']They have been anti-christian and particularly anti-catholic for a very long time. Because they are pushing a particular agenda, I see no point in ever turning on their channel again.[/quote]

I've noticed the same thing. I have a brother in law who would pass himself off as an expert regurgitating stuff like that - at least he still goes to Church.

I've often watched their Christianity-themed stuff, and while it is entertaining, I think nothing you see on TV should be taken as 100% historically, or esp. doctrinally, accurate. There are far better sources for these things (hint hint, Defense Directory ;) ) Actually, we sometimes watch those programs in my Catholic school....yikes.

I guess it's never offended me before because I've never looked at the history channel anything more than entertainment with a little intellectual flavor to make it interesting. When they present something anti-Christian or anti-Catholic, I just think of it as, "Hey, apparently some people actually think that about history/the Church/whatever." Although I probably should be offended because it's called the [i]History[/i] channel and so many people expect it to be true, unbiased information.

So what I'm saying is that never, ever, will people agree about everything. There's always going to be someone out there spreading a contrary POV or unfounded information. The scary part is that there are people who will take that and run with it as totally true. As long as we are confident in what we believe and we can separate fact from fiction, I see no problem with watching the History Channel.

eagle_eye222001

I saw their documentary thing on Nostradamus. Found myself really interested in it...then a week later realized most of their points in the documentary were plus or minus. By that I mean, their points were not really solid and grounded.

I do not get to watch the History channel a lot as my family does not have cable and I am at school. Interesting to note the opinion of those who do though.
----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/mudvayne/track/happy%3f"]Mudvayne - Happy?[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

History Television has been doing the same. I saw a while back that they were running a program that made the DaVinci Code out to be something factual. I was quite angered at their lack of intelligence from un-historical claims.

I used to just watch the religious stuff to see what I would have to be ready to refute when people brought it up, but now they just make me mad.

It's silly how they're trying to tie the book of revelation in with the 2012/nostradamus end of the world stuff.

The way i took it I thought they were giving the protestant view of revelation. Because I remember they had benny hinn on there talking. lol

I thought they also said how the scripture might not be interpited that way although I dont remember it was so long ago.

[quote name='sweens8403' post='1775391' date='Feb 7 2009, 08:58 PM']2012/nostradamus end of the world stuff.[/quote]

speaking of the 2012 stuff do you ever catch the jack van impre show ?
or however you spell his name.
i know hes up there outta windsor.
he wont let off on that croutons or about the pretribulation rapture.
what a false teacher.

Speaking of the rapture:

Now that I'm Catholic I've got a different perspective on things. I can't figure out now what the rationale for believing in it is. It was never really explained why folks at the baptist church where I grew up believed it, everyone just did.

I mean, there's the verse in one of the gospels where Jesus's second coming will be like the thief in the night. The point of the verse is that His second coming will be sudden and unexpected, which means we're supposed to maintain readiness. The problem may be in the use of the noun "thief"; since thieves take things it must mean that Jesus is coming to take His followers in the minds of those who believe in the rapture.

:shrug:

Ya the antichrist comes at the sixth trump and a big part of the "church" is going to be fooled by him because they dont know Christ comes at the seventh trump.

There expecting to fly away from all the false teachings they get from their "churches".

So when the antichrist appears they will be fooled and believe it to be Christ since all the supernatural signs he will be performing.

[quote name='sweens8403' post='1775669' date='Feb 8 2009, 01:13 AM']Speaking of the rapture:

Now that I'm Catholic I've got a different perspective on things. I can't figure out now what the rationale for believing in it is. It was never really explained why folks at the baptist church where I grew up believed it, everyone just did.

I mean, there's the verse in one of the gospels where Jesus's second coming will be like the thief in the night. The point of the verse is that His second coming will be sudden and unexpected, which means we're supposed to maintain readiness. The problem may be in the use of the noun "thief"; since thieves take things it must mean that Jesus is coming to take His followers in the minds of those who believe in the rapture.

:shrug:[/quote]

I have often thought that it comes from the shattering of Protestantism. If you are a Protestant, you believe the Catholics are clearly wrong, but how do you differentiate your denomination from all the others. How do you "feel" yours is the right one. Believing in the Rapture gives you a feeling that Jesus will pluck you and yours up thereby proving you picked the right denomination.