An Old School Catholic Message Board

History Channel Angst

sweens8403

HisChildForever

I'm almost done with [i]The Lamb's Supper[/i] by Scott Hahn and it really explains Revelation (which is where all the rapture theorists get their material from).

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1775876' date='Feb 8 2009, 02:24 PM']I have often thought that it comes from the shattering of Protestantism. If you are a Protestant, you believe the Catholics are clearly wrong, but how do you differentiate your denomination from all the others. How do you "feel" yours is the right one. Believing in the Rapture gives you a feeling that Jesus will pluck you and yours up thereby proving you picked the right denomination.[/quote]

So then when they dont get taken away their going to be in aww of the antichrist. He is going to have a "church" setup and claim to be Christ. The Bible says even the elect will be decieved. The antichrist will have angels to that may offer to "fly" these "christians" away. In my opinon it all boils down to knowing that the false christ comes at the sixth trump and the real one at the seventh. But if you dont know that and you are very anticatholic there is a good shot you will be decieved.

Edited by Guest

rizz_loves_jesus

Is it just me or do they bring up aliens/Atlantis in everything they do? :unsure:

And yeah, they do tend to shed Christianity in bad light. I once saw a History's Mysteries about Fatima and they claimed Our Lady was really an extraterrestrial :blink: I really don't watch much on there besides The Naked Archaeologist and occasionally Ancient Discoveries.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1775894' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:55 PM']I'm almost done with [i]The Lamb's Supper[/i] by Scott Hahn and it really explains Revelation (which is where all the rapture theorists get their material from).[/quote]
I really want to read that!

Starlightdreamer

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1775964' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:54 PM']I once saw a History's Mysteries about Fatima and they claimed Our Lady was really an extraterrestrial :blink:[/quote]

I've heard of far out there stuff but this one takes the cake! :shock:

I used to like their shows from several years ago when they actually still aired programs about history. Now its all programs that are far out alien gunk or reality shows on loggers. :ohno:

I watch a lot of their shows too...well at least I used to. I noticed that most of the things they say about Christianity are wrong. And their shows aren't even interesting to me anymore. :idontknow: Oh well.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1775690' date='Feb 8 2009, 02:56 AM']Ya the antichrist comes at the sixth trump and a big part of the "church" is going to be fooled by him because they dont know Christ comes at the seventh trump.

There expecting to fly away from all the false teachings they get from their "churches".

So when the antichrist appears they will be fooled and believe it to be Christ since all the supernatural signs he will be performing.[/quote]
Hold fast to the rock. All I gotta say.

eagle_eye222001

:bible:

For informational purposes, below is some information on the rapture and passages used to defend it and how it runs into problems.

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

[i]15 We can tell you this from the Lord's own teaching, that we who are still alive for the Lord's coming will not have any advantage over those who have fallen asleep. 16 At the signal given by the voice of the Archangel and the trumpet of God, the Lord himself will come down from heaven; those who have died in Christ will be the first to rise, 17 and only after that shall we who remain alive be taken up in the clouds, together with them, to meet the Lord in the air. This is the way we shall be with the Lord for ever. [/i]

This is a common passage used to support the rapture. Reading this passage by itself, you can see how one can get the idea of jumping on the rapture bandwagon.

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/staind/track/so+far+away"]Staind - So Far Away[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Matthew 24:37-41

[i]37 'As it was in Noah's day, so will it be when the Son of man comes. 38 For in those days before the Flood people were eating, drinking, taking wives, taking husbands, right up to the day Noah went into the ark, 39 and they suspected nothing till the Flood came and swept them all away. This is what it will be like when the Son of man comes. 40 Then of two men in the fields, one is taken, one left; 41 of two women grinding at the mill, one is taken, one left. [/i]

See. 1 taken one left. Rapture lives!!

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/relient+k/track/my+girls+ex-boyfriend"]Relient K - My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend[/url]

Luke 17:26-36
[i]
27 People were eating and drinking, marrying wives and husbands, right up to the day Noah went into the ark, and the Flood came and destroyed them all. 28 It will be the same as it was in Lot's day: people were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, 29 but the day Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and it destroyed them all. 30 It will be the same when the day comes for the Son of man to be revealed. 31 'When that Day comes, no one on the housetop, with his possessions in the house, must come down to collect them, nor must anyone in the fields turn back. 32 Remember Lot's wife. 33 Anyone who tries to preserve his life will lose it; and anyone who loses it will keep it safe. 34 I tell you, on that night, when two are in one bed, one will be taken, the other left; 35 when two women are grinding corn together, one will be taken, the other left.' [/i]

Rapture….it lives…..one problem.

The coming of the Son of man is being compared to the days of Noah and Lot.

After the flood, who was left behind? The good guys. Who was taken? The bad guys were taken and killed. Sodom….who was left behind? Lot and his daughters. The bad were destroyed.

So in following the similarity, you do not want to be taken. You want to be left behind if you want to live-eternal life.

Again, the events used as comparison do not completely rhyme with rapture theology.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
[i]
1 About the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, brothers, and our being gathered to him: 2 please do not be too easily thrown into confusion or alarmed by any manifestation of the Spirit or any statement or any letter claiming to come from us, suggesting that the Day of the Lord has already arrived. 3 Never let anyone deceive you in any way. It cannot happen until the Great Revolt has taken place and there has appeared the wicked One, the lost One, 4 the Enemy, who raises himself above every so-called God or object of worship to enthrone himself in God's sanctuary and flaunts the claim that he is God. 5 Surely you remember my telling you about this when I was with you? 6 And you know, too, what is still holding him back from appearing before his appointed time. 7 The mystery of wickedness is already at work, but let him who is restraining it once be removed, 8 and the wicked One will appear openly. The Lord will destroy him with the breath of his mouth and will annihilate him with his glorious appearance at his coming. 9 But the coming of the wicked One will be marked by Satan being at work in all kinds of counterfeit miracles and signs and wonders, 10 and every wicked deception aimed at those who are on the way to destruction because they would not accept the love of the truth and so be saved. 11 And therefore God sends on them a power that deludes people so that they believe what is false, 12 and so that those who do not believe the truth and take their pleasure in wickedness may all be condemned. [/i]

The Great Revolt must come.

Revelation 13 has some good stuff but I will omit it for space.

In all these passages, the evil one is allowed to break good. Scripture is very clear that many Christians and saints will be destroyed. Well, if all the saints and Christians had been raptured, why are good people left? This is why many pre-tribs move to mid or post-tribs. Scripture is very clear that the anti-Christ will persecute Christians.

Some will point out that…the rapture will come out after the anti-Christ is revealed. They point to 2 Thessalonians 2. Pre-tribs counter with that all Christians will be raptured before tribulation but after tribulation, there will be a new wave of new believers. But where does the bible say this? Also since all the Christians will have been raptured, who will be left to teach about Christ?

These passages about the Anti-Christ also are launch-pads for those who believe in multi-raptures. They believe in pre-rap, post-rap, etc. Since there is multi-raptures, then you also have multi-resurrections of the dead. This spirals into…

1 Corinthians 15:20-24
[i]
20 In fact, however, Christ has been raised from the dead, as the first-fruits of all who have fallen asleep. 21 As it was by one man that death came, so through one man has come the resurrection of the dead. 22 Just as all die in Adam, so in Christ all will be brought to life; 23 but all of them in their proper order: Christ the first-fruits, and next, at his coming, those who belong to him. 24 After that will come the end, when he will hand over the kingdom to God the Father, having abolished every principality, every ruling force and power. [/i]

Can’t get away from “the end.” The dead in Christ will be raised at his coming. Not his comings. All dead raised at same time.

Hebrews 9:27-28

27 Since human beings die only once, after which comes judgement, 28 so Christ too, having offered himself only once to bear the sin of many, will manifest himself a second time, sin being no more, to those who are waiting for him, to bring them salvation.

Only 2nd time. No mention of more.

=======================

-Teaching of literal 1000 reign was pretty much all rejected by 4th century.

-Teaching on rapture specifically appeared in 18th\and 19th century here and there but spread because of John Darby between 1850s and 1870s. This is where rapture really took off. So this theory is pretty recent.

-Now, there is one obscure writing from an author know as Ephrem the Syrian, where there is one line in many lines of poems he wrote, that suggests a belief in some sort of rapture-trib event. Many will claim this offers support for rapture-theorists. There exists a couple problems.

1. The exact meaning is heavily debated because there is no mention of Christ coming in glory with his angels.
2. If you take one obscure writing in the 4-5th century to prove rapture, why do you deny the many writings of even earlier Church followers who wrote on true presence of Christ in Eucharist? What about authority? The list grows.

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/relient+k/track/hoopes+i+did+it+again"]Relient K - Hoopes I Did It Again[/url]

==================

All this information came from an Apologetics talk given by John Martignoni. at [url="http://www.biblechristiansociety.com/download"]http://www.biblechristiansociety.com/download[/url]

Basically rapture has many things going against it. One, it was invented in the 1800s by some guy. So why believe this guy? Where is his authority?

Also many rapturists, take more out of passages than there exists and then ignore other scripture as it is plain there will be one judgement and Jesus will come back once. Whereas rapturist will have there being multiple endings of the world with several judgements, all of which run contrary to scripture.

You really wonder how something like the rapture keeps going when it rests on a few mistranslated passages that ignore vast amounts of scripture.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1777861' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:11 AM']I ALWAYS take their religious programming with a HUGE grain of salt.[/quote]

Even a huge grain of salt is pretty small by my reckoning.