Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Muslim Student Seeks Place To Pray Boy's Mother Fights For His Rig


Recommended Posts

kenrockthefirst
Posted

[url="http://www.northjersey.com/news/aroundnj/Muslim_student_seeks_place_to_pray_Boys_mother_fights_for_his_right_to_privacy.html"]Muslim student seeks place to pray Boy's mother fights for his right to privacy[/url]

Where can Catholic students demand to have accommodation in order to pray the Angelus at noon?

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1785528' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:08 PM'][url="http://www.northjersey.com/news/aroundnj/Muslim_student_seeks_place_to_pray_Boys_mother_fights_for_his_right_to_privacy.html"]Muslim student seeks place to pray Boy's mother fights for his right to privacy[/url]

Where can Catholic students demand to have accommodation in order to pray the Angelus at noon?[/quote]

He can go in a corner with his prayer rug, catholics can go in another corner and recite the rosary, atheists can sit in the middle and twiddle their thumbs.

Posted

People are really afraid to offend Muslims, so it makes it easy to complain or request special rights.

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1785533' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:14 PM']He can go in a corner with his prayer rug, catholics can go in another corner and recite the rosary, atheists can sit in the middle and twiddle their thumbs.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:hehe:

Posted

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1785528' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:08 PM'][url="http://www.northjersey.com/news/aroundnj/Muslim_student_seeks_place_to_pray_Boys_mother_fights_for_his_right_to_privacy.html"]Muslim student seeks place to pray Boy's mother fights for his right to privacy[/url]

Where can Catholic students demand to have accommodation in order to pray the Angelus at noon?[/quote]


I fail to see how this is news, but assuming it is what is the bog deal. If he is obligated by his religion to pray who shouldn't he be given five minutes of privacy?

A Catholic student is not morally obligated to some simmilar duty with regard to some regular prayer at a fixed time of the day. Children can be cruel and this child should not have to worry about being mocked because he makes a number of funny motions on a rug. If a Catholic child wanted to read the Benadictine prayer book and had legitimate reason to need privacy I don't think there should be any problem letting him go to the library or some other quite place where his reading a religious text would not be evident and consequently he would not have to worry about bullies.

Posted

Ken, how many Catholics pray the Angelus?

Muslim 5 day prayer is mandatory; if they need to pray let them.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Hassan' post='1785712' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:14 PM']I fail to see how this is news, but assuming it is what is the bog deal. If he is obligated by his religion to pray who shouldn't he be given five minutes of privacy?

A Catholic student is not morally obligated to some simmilar duty with regard to some regular prayer at a fixed time of the day. Children can be cruel and this child should not have to worry about being mocked because he makes a number of funny motions on a rug. If a Catholic child wanted to read the Benadictine prayer book and had legitimate reason to need privacy I don't think there should be any problem letting him go to the library or some other quite place where his reading a religious text would not be evident and consequently he would not have to worry about bullies.[/quote]
I actually think there is no problem with him going to a corner and saying his prayers. The other kids can learn a lesson in tolerance and other cultures and manners that will hurt no one.

Posted

[quote]He can go in a corner with his prayer rug, catholics can go in another corner and recite the rosary, atheists can sit in the middle and twiddle their thumbs.[/quote]

:lol:

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1785756' date='Feb 19 2009, 08:03 PM']I actually think there is no problem with him going to a corner and saying his prayers.[/quote]

Well such is your oppinion. The mother, however, wishes for her son to have privacy. Considering the elevated numbers of hate crimes against Muslims since 9/11 and the general tendency of little children to tease and torment children who are "different", or simply the fact that the child may wish to be able to pray without feeling like he's being watched like some exotic circus attraction I thib this is a reasonable oppinion on her part.

[quote]The other kids can learn a lesson in tolerance and other cultures and manners that will hurt no one.[/quote]

Perhapse he does not want to be the test dummy in seeing how well exposure to new culture makes other school children openminded. Perhapse he does not want to be singled outas essentially other than them, something for them to watch and study to learn about his quaint customs. Perhapse the child simply wants to fufil his religious duties without standing out like a sore thumb.

I just don't see what is wrong with the kid simply wanting five minutes of privacy to pray.

Posted

[quote name='mortify' post='1785734' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:45 PM']Ken, how many Catholics pray the Angelus?

Muslim 5 day prayer is mandatory; if they need to pray let them.[/quote]


When I was religious I prayed kept the Benedictine prayers for a bit in high school. Unlike this kid I didn't have to make a lot of funny looking movements, but could simply read my book of the prayers for a few minutes at the appinted times.

But I guess I'm with you :shock: if the kid wants to pray in private just let him pray. If a Catholic child did come from a religious family and did want to keep the Angelus during his free time I think the school should do the same for him if he needs privacy.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Hassan' post='1786152' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:58 AM']Well such is your oppinion. The mother, however, wishes for her son to have privacy. Considering the elevated numbers of hate crimes against Muslims since 9/11 and the general tendency of little children to tease and torment children who are "different", or simply the fact that the child may wish to be able to pray without feeling like he's being watched like some exotic circus attraction I thib this is a reasonable oppinion on her part.



Perhapse he does not want to be the test dummy in seeing how well exposure to new culture makes other school children openminded. Perhapse he does not want to be singled outas essentially other than them, something for them to watch and study to learn about his quaint customs. Perhapse the child simply wants to fufil his religious duties without standing out like a sore thumb.

I just don't see what is wrong with the kid simply wanting five minutes of privacy to pray.[/quote]

You are the last person I expected to disagree with me on this one. This is a perfect opportunity to teach tolerance and respect to little kids, and STOP the teasing and tormenting of anyone different. How can children learn tolerance except by seeing it in action? If you don't make a big deal out of it, it won't be a big deal. Sending him to another room etc simply reinforces the difffernce instead of minimizing it. :wacko:

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1786155' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:05 AM']You are the last person I expected to disagree with me on this one.[/quote]

got to keep you on your toes <_<

:topsy:

[quote]This is a perfect opportunity to teach tolerance and respect to little kids, and STOP the teasing and tormenting of anyone different. How can children learn tolerance except by seeing it in action? If you don't make a big deal out of it, it won't be a big deal. Sending him to another room etc simply reinforces the difffernce instead of minimizing it. :wacko:[/quote]

It does not need to be obvious. I had a muslim friend in high school who just went to the auditorium room thingy every lunch and prayed. I never once noticed until she happened to mention why she was always a few minutes late. If the school wants to teach tolerance that is wonderful, I think they should take the kids to a Mosque (and Church and any other local religious establishment). I understand your point and I don't think you and I disagree on our ends, but our means. If a Muslim kid wants to pray in public that's just fine. We do not know what the circumstances here are, if the child has been bullied, simply feels uncomftorable etc, but seeing as the child is so you I really think the mother's wishes should be respected.

Madame Vengier
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1785592' date='Feb 19 2009, 04:25 PM']People are really afraid to offend Muslims,[/quote]

I wonder why.

Posted

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1785528' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:08 PM'][url="http://www.northjersey.com/news/aroundnj/Muslim_student_seeks_place_to_pray_Boys_mother_fights_for_his_right_to_privacy.html"]Muslim student seeks place to pray Boy's mother fights for his right to privacy[/url]

Where can Catholic students demand to have accommodation in order to pray the Angelus at noon?[/quote]

There are several Muslim students at the school my sister student teaches at-she says she thinks there is a room that can be used for prayer if students need to (any denomination). She says most of the kids in her class don't do it during school but one boy occasionally comes in late because he stays with his family to pray before school. I think having a room designated for anyone who needs to pray is a good thing. I'm sure if a Catholic wanted to pray the Angelus at noon that would be respected. -Katie

Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1785592' date='Feb 19 2009, 04:25 PM']People are really afraid to offend Muslims, so it makes it easy to complain or request special rights.[/quote]


I know an outdoor preacher who screamed at Muslims walking around that Muhammad was a liar, a pedophile, and Allah was a moon god.

So I don't think that all people are afraid.

Posted

[quote name='Hassan' post='1786454' date='Feb 20 2009, 01:30 PM']I know an outdoor preacher who screamed at Muslims walking around that Muhammad was a liar, a pedophile, and Allah was a moon god.

So I don't think that all people are afraid.[/quote]

When my boys had to deal with bullies at school, I always told them to act over the top nuts, because then the bullies would be afraid of them instead. I've had lots of soap box standing, corner preachers scream at me, and no one takes them serious. That means they can get away with stuff that the rest of us can't.

I'm aware that all people aren't afraid. I don't lose sleep over it because I don't have any more control over planes flying into buildings than I do drunks running over me in cross walks, so I might as well focus on stuff I can control.

Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1786491' date='Feb 20 2009, 04:30 PM']When my boys had to deal with bullies at school, I always told them to act over the top nuts, because then the bullies would be afraid of them instead. I've had lots of soap box standing, corner preachers scream at me, and no one takes them serious. That means they can get away with stuff that the rest of us can't.

I'm aware that all people aren't afraid. I don't lose sleep over it because I don't have any more control over planes flying into buildings than I do drunks running over me in cross walks, so I might as well focus on stuff I can control.[/quote]

Colbert and Maher have both been fairly offensive to Islam in general and, in the case of Colbert, Muhammad. I had some friends in a classical islam class. One's a hard core Catholic who did a presentation on John of Damascus's report on Islam which was not to flattering and talken openly about his end of the year major paper being in Islam as a Christian heresy, another showed a video by Spencer and Horawitz which was pretty bad, about half the class was Muslim and it wasn't a problem.

That does not discount things like what happened to Rushdi or with the cartoon mess I know.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Hassan' post='1786454' date='Feb 20 2009, 02:30 PM']I know an outdoor preacher who screamed at Muslims walking around that Muhammad was a liar, a pedophile, and Allah was a moon god.[/quote]

I thought he had sexual relations with a nine-year-old.

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1786728' date='Feb 20 2009, 09:21 PM']I thought he had sexual relations with a nine-year-old.[/quote]


Aisha, yes, somewhere around that age.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Hassan' post='1786757' date='Feb 20 2009, 08:44 PM']Aisha, yes, somewhere around that age.[/quote]

Would that not make him a pedophile?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...