RemnantRules Posted February 25, 2009 Posted February 25, 2009 I voted for St. Thomas Aquinas but my others would be: Edith Stine (St. Benedicta of the Cross) John Paul the Great Gregory the Great
StColette Posted February 25, 2009 Posted February 25, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' post='1791289' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:18 AM']Modern - Balthasar[/quote]
LouisvilleFan Posted February 25, 2009 Posted February 25, 2009 Anybody read "Cur Deus Homo"? Not sure what it means in English... "God Cures Homosexuality"?
Resurrexi Posted March 2, 2009 Author Posted March 2, 2009 (edited) [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1791456' date='Feb 25 2009, 03:33 PM']Anybody read "Cur Deus Homo"? Not sure what it means in English... "God Cures Homosexuality"?[/quote] "Why is God Man?" Edited March 2, 2009 by Resurrexi
rkwright Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1791456' date='Feb 25 2009, 03:33 PM']Anybody read "Cur Deus Homo"? Not sure what it means in English... "God Cures Homosexuality"?[/quote] haha.... Why God became man... I read a while back... can;t say I remember a whole lot of it
Sojourner Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 I'm a fan of Bonaventure, although Aquinas is a close second. They both bring a unique theological perspective to the table.
laetitia crucis Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 (edited) Hmmm... nice to see another very OLD thread pop back up. Anyhooo.... since it's already here, might as well add to it. [quote]We so heartily approve the magnificent tribute of praise bestowed upon this most divine genius that [b]We consider that Thomas should be called not only the Angelic, but also the Common or Universal Doctor of the Church; for the Church has adopted his philosophy for her own, as innumerable documents of every kind attest[/b]. It would be an endless task to explain here all the reasons which moved Our Predecessors in this respect, and it will be sufficient perhaps to point out that Thomas wrote under the inspiration of the supernatural spirit which animated his life and that his writings, which contain the principles of, and the laws governing, all sacred studies, must be said to possess a universal character. -- Pope Pius XVI [url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/ENCYC/P11STUDI.HTM"]STUDIORUM DUCEM[/url] (On St. Thomas Aquinas), Encyclical promulgated on 29 June 1923.[/quote] (Emphasis added. ) [img]http://www.aug.edu/augusta/iconography/biggerFiles/aquinasZurbaran.jpg[/img] Edited April 10, 2010 by laetitia crucis
laetitia crucis Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 [quote name='Pio Nono' date='25 February 2009 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1235566092' post='1791218'] JMJ 2/25 - Ash Wednesday I'm surprised that Duns Scotus made the list...sure, he was beatified, so his works can't be condemned...[b]I've just never been comfortable with him. He seems to have provided the groundwork for nominalism and, ultimately, Protestantism[/b]. [/quote] I agree. However, I will say, "Blessed be God, Duns Scotus was SPOT ON about the Immaculate Conception!"
God Conquers Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 Out of these, I choose the Subtle Doctor. Almost entirely based on his name. Although I love the way he argues about immanence.
Saint Therese Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 Unfortunately, I'm not educated enough to say one way or the other.
Cherie Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='10 April 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1270905511' post='2090377'] Hans Kung [/quote] Whoa, for a second I totally thought I must have misread you all this time ... !
Ephrem Augustine Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 It is worth noting that St. Bonaventure integrated more of Augustinian thought into his theology, out of those listed.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 I like Calvin. [spoiler][img]http://digitalconversations.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/calvinacademiahereicome.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='10 April 2010 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1270933742' post='2090586'] I like Calvin. [spoiler][img]http://digitalconversations.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/calvinacademiahereicome.jpg[/img][/spoiler] [/quote] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/twothumbsup.gif[/img]
Apotheoun Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='10 April 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1270940989' post='2090671'] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/twothumbsup.gif[/img] [/quote] You were predestined to find that funny.
Laudate_Dominum Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 [quote name='Pio Nono' date='25 February 2009 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1235566092' post='1791218'] I'm surprised that Duns Scotus made the list...sure, he was beatified, so his works can't be condemned...I've just never been comfortable with him. He seems to have provided the groundwork for nominalism and, ultimately, Protestantism. [/quote] Sounds like the tiresome old diss on Ockham and to assert such a thing of Scotus strikes me as most absurd. Scotus was as much a realist as Aquinas and many Popes have given mad props the this saintly man and his thought. I'd be happy if he were canonized and declared a Doctor of the Church. P.S. I voted other.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now