An Old School Catholic Message Board

Curious Commercials

sweens8403

Have any of you seen the "that's so gay" commercials? I'm curious what your thoughts are.

For those who haven't seen them they are a series of commercials being run on television that are attempting to get people to stop using the word "gay" in a negative context.

Here's a link to one of them: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0[/url]

I just see it as yet another attempt to normalize homosexuality in the eyes of the impressionable youth.

There is power in language, and if someone is expending these efforts to 'normalize' a mere word, you can bet its important to someone.

The question would be why is it important to that 'someone'? To what purpose?

Lets talk amongst ourselves and see if we can figure it out.

Ok, correct me if im wrong but isnt being Homosexual fine with the church? Its just the sexual act that is a sin and homosexuals arnt allowed to marry.

[quote name='Oliver' post='1794982' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:41 AM']Ok, correct me if im wrong but isnt being Homosexual fine with the church? Its just the sexual act that is a sin and homosexuals arnt allowed to marry.[/quote]

Homosexuals [i]are[/i] allowed to marry, as long as they can/will preform the marital act.

Wanda Sykes is so gay.

Wait... I'm being told that Wanda Sykes is indeed a homosexual... And I am the last person on earth to know that fact!

Well ok then! Carry on

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1795021' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:18 AM']The commercial is probably right. No sense in estranging people if unnecessary :)[/quote]

You know, you're right--if a word is hurtful, there's no sense in using it.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1794996' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:42 PM']Homosexuals [i]are[/i] allowed to marry, as long as they can/will preform the marital act.[/quote]

wait what?

cmotherofpirl

Since the word gay means happy and cheerful, as well as something is so dumb, as well as a self-proclaimed reference to someones supposed sexual choice, context is everything. No group has the right to censor someone's language to suit themselves.

we could start saying thats so wanda...