An Old School Catholic Message Board

Curious Commercials

sweens8403

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1795021' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:18 AM']The commercial is probably right. No sense in estranging people if unnecessary :)[/quote]
I agree. It doesn't personally bother me, but I see no point in inflicting offense for insignificant things. It makes it more difficult to have meaningful conversations later.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1795066' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:52 AM']Since the word gay means happy and cheerful, as well as something is so dumb, as well as a self-proclaimed reference to someones supposed sexual choice, context is everything. No group has the right to censor someone's language to suit themselves.

we could start saying thats so wanda...[/quote]

They are not forcing you to cencor yourselves, it's a perfectly reasonable request.

The Church claims that there is no sin in being a homosexual, just leading the lifestyle, you all seem to want gay individuals to enter the Church and live holy lives, I doubt turning their identity into a belittling word will help this mission much.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1795111' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:14 PM']They are not forcing you to cencor yourselves, it's a perfectly reasonable request.

The Church claims that there is no sin in being a homosexual, just leading the lifestyle, you all seem to want gay individuals to enter the Church and live holy lives, I doubt turning their identity into a belittling word will help this mission much.[/quote]

The point is its not their identity. Humanity is not defined thru the narrow lenses of sexuality, a person is much more then their genitals.
It goes along with the idea that the rainbow now exclusively refers to something other than the colors produced by sunlight on water droplets in the atmosphere. WORDS and CONCEPTS are not exclusively property, and letting any group foolishly thinking they can trademark definitions is BS.

I remember when I was in college, my dad said that the people in our family were qwerty for sticking our necks out in front of several of my friends. I had to explain to him how many things were wrong with that sentence, and why he couldn't use that word anymore. He was very flustered and asked how many more perfectly decent words were going to be taken out of our vocabulary. I guess the answer is, as many as they want to claim.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1795123' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:24 PM']The point is its not their identity. Humanity is not defined thru the narrow lenses of sexuality, a person is much more then their genitals.
It goes along with the idea that the rainbow now exclusively refers to something other than the colors produced by sunlight on water droplets in the atmosphere. WORDS and CONCEPTS are not exclusively property, and letting any group foolishly thinking they can trademark definitions is BS.[/quote]

Identity is amorphous and often self imposed. No an individual is not defined by their genitals but human sexuality is a major part of their identity. I understand that gays do not own the word, just like if I wanted to produce a new sort of Frisbe called "The Eucharist" I would be within my rights. Yet while I can do that I may want to keep in mind that Catholics might get offended by tons of comercials and everyday encounters of "hey! Let's toos around the eucharist!" "Go to the park and play with your dog by throwing the eucharist around and letting him bring it back to you, just don't let him gnaw it up too much!".

While I have every right to do this is would be a fairly rude and insensitive thing to do. You're free to use "gay" as a pejorative all you want, just don't be mystified as to why homosexual teens leave the Church.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1795031' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:49 AM']You know, you're right--if a word is hurtful, there's no sense in using it.[/quote]
I disagree with this (I sense sarcasm anyway)

There are plenty of times when hurtful words are necessary. Take Texas for example... :ohno:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1795140' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:40 PM']Identity is amorphous and often self imposed. No an individual is not defined by their genitals but human sexuality is a major part of their identity. I understand that gays do not own the word, just like if I wanted to produce a new sort of Frisbe called "The Eucharist" I would be within my rights. Yet while I can do that I may want to keep in mind that Catholics might get offended by tons of comercials and everyday encounters of "hey! Let's toos around the eucharist!" "Go to the park and play with your dog by throwing the eucharist around and letting him bring it back to you, just don't let him gnaw it up too much!".

While I have every right to do this is would be a fairly rude and insensitive thing to do. You're free to use "gay" as a pejorative all you want, just don't be mystified as to why homosexual teens leave the Church.[/quote]
The word is not rude or insensitive unless you choose to be offended. Ih has more than one definition. Words are not private property. A minority group doesn't get to pick a word and demand that it is now their personal property and the rest of the world has to bow to their new definition. Again, PC BS.

eagle_eye222001

First comment I saw under the video was "this commercial is gay"

:lol_pound:

The analogy the lady uses in the commercial fails and doesn't follow.

Society uses the word "gay" in the sense of stupid...however the lady when she comments on the pepper shaker, she uses a phrase that society does not use normally at all.

Edited by eagle_eye222001

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1794997' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:44 AM']those commercials are retarded. :mellow:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
seriously that's an offensive word.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1795198' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:37 AM']I disagree with this (I sense sarcasm anyway)

There are plenty of times when hurtful words are necessary. Take Texas for example... :ohno:[/quote]

I wasn't being sarcastic.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1795232' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:06 PM']The word is not rude or insensitive unless you choose to be offended. Ih has more than one definition. Words are not private property. A minority group doesn't get to pick a word and demand that it is now their personal property and the rest of the world has to bow to their new definition. Again, PC BS.[/quote]

They are not demanding it be their private property. It is a slang word commonly used to designate gay people, for some reason, who can imagain why, some gay people are offended by a word commonly used for them being turned into a pejorative. Rather than respecting a very simple request the attitude seems to be a childish stamping of the foot while exclaiming "you can't make me!". No, people cannot force you to show a bare minimum of respect, empathy, of simple common courtesy, just like you cannot demand people not turn the word "Eucharist" into something highly disrespctful, it is not about what one group can and cannot force another to do, it is simply about respect and consideration. So use gay all you want, I'm not gay so it does not bother me in the least, but don't scratch your head about why so many gay teens dismiss the Church's teachings on sexuality as non-sense. They don't, in my experience, feel welcome at Church events, they feel disrespected, marginalized, and like some unwanted garbage that the heterosexual Catholics will "tolerate" to a limited extent.

For instance if I decided to use the word Catholic as an insult, and decided to say that you were being a real catholic right now. I'm within my rights but if you heard a group of people useing the name of your faith as an insult you would not feel welcome (I imagain). I'm also within my rights to say that someone is being a real -inset "n" word here- but as a lot of the black community you find that hurtful and rude I don't.

You just seem defensive, as though you must defend the viability of this word as a pejorative or the "homos" win.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1795377' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:40 PM']They are not demanding it be their private property. It is a slang word commonly used to designate gay people, for some reason, who can imagain why, some gay people are offended by a word commonly used for them being turned into a pejorative. Rather than respecting a very simple request the attitude seems to be a childish stamping of the foot while exclaiming "you can't make me!". No, people cannot force you to show a bare minimum of respect, empathy, of simple common courtesy, just like you cannot demand people not turn the word "Eucharist" into something highly disrespctful, it is not about what one group can and cannot force another to do, it is simply about respect and consideration. So use gay all you want, I'm not gay so it does not bother me in the least, but don't scratch your head about why so many gay teens dismiss the Church's teachings on sexuality as non-sense. They don't, in my experience, feel welcome at Church events, they feel disrespected, marginalized, and like some unwanted garbage that the heterosexual Catholics will "tolerate" to a limited extent.

For instance if I decided to use the word Catholic as an insult, and decided to say that you were being a real catholic right now. I'm within my rights but if you heard a group of people useing the name of your faith as an insult you would not feel welcome (I imagain). I'm also within my rights to say that someone is being a real -inset "n" word here- but as a lot of the black community you find that hurtful and rude I don't.

You just seem defensive, as though you must defend the viability of this word as a pejorative or the "homos" win.[/quote]
Again, you miss the point.

Butting into other people's conversation is kind of rude.Like pepper lady does, and that Lizzie McGuire girl whose name escapes me atm.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1795377' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:40 PM']...
For instance if I decided to use the word Catholic as an insult...[/quote]
Yeah, you'd be a bit late on that one. We've already put up with that one. :mellow: