An Old School Catholic Message Board

Curious Commercials

sweens8403

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1795604' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:59 PM']Yeah, you'd be a bit late on that one. We've already put up with that one. :mellow:[/quote]
Darn you papist. :smokey:

Interesting. I suppose I agree with the normalization of the word, though I'll probably continue to use it for jokingly-derogatory purposes amongst friends. It may be an unnecessary painful reminder for those homosexuals who do honestly strive to live a life of chastity, just as do heterosexuals. A better proposal would be returning to the traditional definition of "gay" and never using it to refer to homosexuality. Homosexuals usurped the definition of this word to have a psychological impact on the condemnation of a perverse lifestyle. Kind of like what atheists are currently trying to do with the word "bright".

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1795031' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:49 AM']You know, you're right--if a word is hurtful, there's no sense in using it.[/quote]

The word itself is not hurtful, but the intent behind them. The pursuit of cahnging the word's meaning, if intended to change the 'hurtfulness' it contains therein, is misguided in the least.

My grandmother used to call all black people 'nice black men' - because that is what they were called were she came from (up northern Canada, where people out there saw a black person maybe once or at most twice in their lives, and then only at a distance).

She would have been extremely surprised if anyone would have taken the time to explain to her the word was seen as 'hurtful' to a black person because she never met one and genuinely thought this was the 'proper' way to address them. But a black person with full understanding of her intent would not have been insulted at her saying the word, because he would have understood her intent of trying to be respectful in her own (I dare say, ignorant) way.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Didacus' post='1796190' date='Mar 3 2009, 11:05 AM']What does Obstat mean anyway? I know 'nihil' = zero.

(Still learning this latin thing)[/quote]

I believe "Nihil Obstat" is used to identify literature that is 100% in line with Catholic teaching.