takebacktonight Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 *If this is posted in the wrong spot please move it!* I randomly ran across this and I felt compelled to post a link here... [color="red"]Warning: The link has mature content, and is inappropriate for minors. Viewer beware. --Era Might[/color] [url="http://blog.amandapalmer.net/post/75463717/on-abortion-rape-art-and-humor"]http://blog.amandapalmer.net/post/75463717...e-art-and-humor[/url] A word of warning: there is a LOT of swearing in this blog post, so if that is the type of thing that offends you... well... at least *try* to read it! I had never heard any of this woman's music before, but this video just broke my heart more than anything else. I have just spent a considerable amount of time teaching at a public/secular girls school, and this is the best depiction of their inner struggles as I have ever seen. I think of a (15 year old) student who I discovered had miscarried at the beginning of the school year, and now, two months later, discovered she had ovarian cysts.. She would always be sitting at the back of the room with a little smile on her face.. but you could just see that her pain was so immense.. maybe she would have related somewhat to this video No matter what we think of her values and opinions (which are decidedly liberal) does this video serve a purpose? I do.
HisChildForever Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 (edited) That is the most atrocious music video I have ever seen, if you even want to call it "music." [quote name='takebacktonight' post='1794861' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:04 AM']I had never heard any of this woman's music before, but this video just broke my heart more than anything else. I have just spent a considerable amount of time teaching at a public/secular girls school, and this is the best depiction of their inner struggles as I have ever seen.[/quote] [b]Please[/b] tell me these statements are a joke. Edited March 2, 2009 by HisChildForever
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 I liked it. It's good dark humor A bit crass, but funny
takebacktonight Posted March 2, 2009 Author Posted March 2, 2009 I was shocked too at first (and thank goodness a mod put that mature warning up because I forgot to! thank you and oops) ...But did you read her post? It's meant to provoke (obviously). I see it as a commentary on a) the frivolousness of teenage culture as a whole and b) the coping mechanisms young people often use to hide the abuse they suffer. Her video, as grotesque and disgusting at it is seems on the surface..speaks to the way that many (non-religious) teenagers handle these situations... which is with sarcasm, crass humour, and objectionable defense mechanisms.
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='takebacktonight' post='1794915' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:12 AM']I was shocked too at first (and thank goodness a mod put that mature warning up because I forgot to! thank you and oops) ...But did you read her post? It's meant to provoke (obviously). I see it as a commentary on a) the frivolousness of teenage culture as a whole and b) the coping mechanisms young people often use to hide the abuse they suffer. Her video, as grotesque and disgusting at it is seems on the surface..speaks to the way that many (non-religious) teenagers handle these situations... which is with sarcasm, crass humour, and objectionable defense mechanisms.[/quote]
takebacktonight Posted March 2, 2009 Author Posted March 2, 2009 (edited) [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794909' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:03 AM']That is the most atrocious music video I have ever seen, if you even want to call it "music." [b]Please[/b] tell me these statements are a joke.[/quote] I'm serious. Try to see where I am coming from (a relatively heathenish background, who has seen a [b]lot[/b] both firsthand and through her students). I'm not easily moved. Edited to add: *I am not posting this to get a rise out of people. I really would like a religious/moral viewpoint on this!* I'm not a troll I promise! Edited March 2, 2009 by takebacktonight
HisChildForever Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='takebacktonight' post='1794915' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:12 AM']Her video, as grotesque and disgusting at it is seems on the surface..[b]speaks to the way that many (non-religious) teenagers handle these situations[/b]... which is with sarcasm, crass humour, and objectionable defense mechanisms.[/quote] Oh, so when an adolescent girl is raped she typically looks bored? When she goes in to get an abortion she is indifferent?
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794923' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:17 AM']Oh, so when an adolescent girl is raped she typically looks bored? When she goes in to get an abortion she is indifferent? [/quote] I think your missing the point. I beleive it's intended to be an ironic contrast, as he mentioned.
HisChildForever Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='takebacktonight' post='1794920' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:16 AM']I'm serious. Try to see where I am coming from (a relatively heathenish background, who has seen a [b]lot[/b] both firsthand and through her students). I'm not easily moved.[/quote] And I am not easily impressed. Regardless of your religion you should not be applauding a "music" video that takes a serious crime like rape and makes it into a joke.
Vincent Vega Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794909' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:03 AM']That is the most atrocious music video I have ever seen, if you even want to call it "music." [b]Please[/b] tell me these statements are a joke.[/quote] Allow me to add that HCF is a bona fide feminist. (References available upon request)
HisChildForever Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1794927' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:21 AM']Allow me to add that HCF is a bona fide feminist. (References available upon request) [/quote] Does one have to be a feminist in order to be appalled by the mockery of rape and abortion?
Vincent Vega Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794929' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:21 AM']Does one have to be a feminist in order to be appalled by the mockery of rape and abortion?[/quote] No, I didn't want our new visitor to think that we were all the backwoods, women-folk-go-with-no-shoes type. We do have some cityfolk among us.
mcts Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794929' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:21 AM']Does one have to be a feminist in order to be appalled by the mockery of rape and abortion?[/quote] agreed. I am definitely not a feminist and i agree with you completely.
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1794927' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:21 AM']Allow me to add that HCF is a bona fide feminist. (References available upon request) [/quote] mmmmmm....A Catholic feminist. I don't know how secular feminism would feel about her feminism (that's not a shot in any way, I just think it's important to point out)
HisChildForever Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1794934' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:25 AM']mmmmmm....A Catholic feminist. I don't know how secular feminism would feel about her feminism (that's not a shot in any way, I just think it's important to point out)[/quote] My feminism has been brought up and explained on numerous threads. As you can see, USAirways seems to have a stockpile so you can ask him for references.
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794926' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:19 AM']And I am not easily impressed. Regardless of your religion you should not be applauding a "music" video that takes a serious crime like rape and makes it into a joke.[/quote] You know the artist in the video was raped when she was 20 right? And it's not making rape a joke, it's British dark humor. I come from that tradition strong on my moms side so perhapse that's why I find it funny. That's British humor in my experience, it's deeply ironic and often dark.
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794935' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:26 AM']My feminism has been brought up and explained on numerous threads.[/quote] lol, I noticed
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 Well I'm a feminist and I find the video both thoughtful and funny. I I cancel at least one of you out
Hassan Posted March 2, 2009 Posted March 2, 2009 yes, see here [i] sat down one day in or around 2002 and wrote a tongue-in-cheek, ironic up-tempo pop song. a song about a girl who got drunk, was date raped, and had an abortion. she sings about these things lightly and joyfully and says that she doesn’t care that these things have happened to her because oasis, (her favorite band) has sent her an autographed photo in the mail. and to make things even better (!!), her [mod]Language. --Era Might[/mod] friend melissa, who told the whole school about the abortion, is really jealous. if you cannot sense the irony in this song, you’re about two intelligence points above a kumquat.[/i]
takebacktonight Posted March 2, 2009 Author Posted March 2, 2009 (edited) In terms of the video.... the songs is about a teenage girls rememberings (or mis-rememberings) of what actually happened. It is very much reminiscent and of course this fictional little girl would not have actually been looking bored during either event. Miss Palmer then continues on to make clear her intent for the song and video. She obviously does feel as though rape or abortion are not serious things. She has been a victim of both, but that is besides the point. Rather, she is approaching these subjects in a VERY different way in an attempt [b]to get people talking[/b] about these issues. Religious people, I would guess are very used to talking about this stuff, but lost kids are not. This is where media lit comes in I think...we really need to look past what we see and think critically about what the intent is. That is why I posted here. From reading the posts I know people here are willing to discuss and dissect and think critically. In terms of the feminist thing....yes I definitely believe you can be a feminist and pro-life (although my ex-Catholic, former women's studies prof would kill me). No quibbles there. I also do not believe in making light of the issues of abuse, rape, abortion either. Edited March 2, 2009 by takebacktonight
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now