An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mac Users

rkwright

For the other Mac users here... are you using Tiger or Leopard?

I have Tiger and have been wondering if I should update... is it really worth it? Part of me wants to just to have the most up-to-date system, part of me says I don't have $129!

i have leopard, but that's what came on my comp, so i don't really have an opinion of tiger. All i can tell you is that leopard is pretty awesome.

sorry!

Theologian in Training

[quote name='rkwright' post='1795090' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:45 PM']For the other Mac users here... are you using Tiger or Leopard?

I have Tiger and have been wondering if I should update... is it really worth it? Part of me wants to just to have the most up-to-date system, part of me says I don't have $129![/quote]

I like the little things that Tiger did not have..stacks, the "ipod interface" for Finder and all the other little subtle differences that make it a little more robust than Tiger. However, you might do well waiting for Snow Leopard, the update to Leopard, to fix a few things that need to be entirely overhauled, and also to add a few more things. If that is not important to you, then updating is recommended. I got mine with my rebate check for being one of the idiots for buying an iPhone when it first came out...

I'd like to... but again don't have the money right now

I really want Time Machine, theres nothing like it on Tiger and after I lost my HDD over Christmas break I'd like to have a free automatic backup (right now I'm using a license my parents bought for a program...)

Father have you tried the new Safari? I like it, though I miss the reload and stop buttons! But I like the top sites thingy...

RemnantRules

as a hardcore Mac user I would encourage you to get Leopard. I know it is a bit much, and if you are needing the money for other things, please don't spend it on Leopard. However, if you are able to set aside some money each month I would say go for it. Time Machine, spaces, hot corners, and preview documents/video without opening the documents is really nice.

franciscanheart

i'd wait for the next version to come out. i have tiger on my imac and leopard on my macbook and theres not enough of a difference for me to encourage you to spend the money. but at the same time, that's just me.

also, hot corners are available to you in tiger. i have hot corners enabled on both machines.

i don't even use spaces. there's not enough purpose for me to do that. hiding one application here or there doesn't save me much time. it takes just as long to click on the icon in my dock and have stickies load or hit "command + Q" when i want to quit as it does to use hot corners (or my spaces button) to change spaces. that's just me though.

are there any features or applications you know of that are packaged in leopard that you don't have with tiger? if not, i wouldn't worry about the upgrade yet. there were 300+ new features with leopard, however, the ones even Apple features aren't THAT huge a deal if (again) you aren't dependent on them.

some features i've enjoyed but don't NEED:
[list]
[*]'to do's in mail that show up in iCal
[*]RSS feed in mail (so i don't always have to be in google reader, though i didn't appreciate the automatic subscription to the apple feed. losers.)
[*]the wikipedia section in dictionary (yes, i'm a nerd)
[*]video recording/exporting in PhotoBooth
[/list]
you can view all the features here: [url="http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html"]Mac OSX Leopard: 300+ New Features[/url]

considering that mac has confirmed snow leopard will focus more on performance and less on new features, i'd really suggest you just wait for that (only a few more months now) if you're only updating to have the most current version. even if you're upgrading based on need or convenience, i'd say wait.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Seven77' post='1795264' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:47 PM']I have Tiger and I'm waiting for Snow Leopard -- anybody know when it's supposed to be coming out?[/quote]
the most consistent answer to that i've seen is late Q2, early Q3 of this year. amazon has a holding date of july 1st and i've seen a lot of "rumors" of a june release - direct competition for windows new release.

What is snow leopard all about - aside from sounding cool?

Edit: I think I'm with you Hughey... I don't see enough in Leopard to warrant $129. I have hot corners set up, the only big advantage would be time machine.

Edited by rkwright

franciscanheart

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1795260' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:40 PM']considering that mac has confirmed snow leopard will focus more on performance and less on new features, i'd really suggest you just wait for that (only a few more months now) if you're only updating to have the most current version. even if you're upgrading based on need or convenience, i'd say wait.[/quote]
this is what i said above.

other than that, here's what apple has published on their main site:

[quote]Since 2001, Mac OS X has delivered more than a thousand innovative new features. With Snow Leopard, the next major version of the world’s most advanced operating system, Mac OS X changes more than its spots, it changes focus. Taking a break from adding new features, Snow Leopard — scheduled to ship in about a year — builds on Leopard’s enormous innovations by delivering a new generation of core software technologies that will streamline Mac OS X, enhance its performance, and set new standards for quality. Snow Leopard dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X, making it even more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space for their music and photos.[/quote]
you can read that and more here: [url="http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/"]Mac OS X Snow Leopard: Core Innovation[/url]

Also, for more, here's a press release from June 2008: [url="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/06/09snowleopard.html"]Snow Leopard Press Release[/url]

franciscanheart

[quote name='rkwright' post='1795335' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:48 PM']What is snow leopard all about - aside from sounding cool?

Edit: I think I'm with you Hughey... I don't see enough in Leopard to warrant $129. I have hot corners set up, the only big advantage would be time machine.[/quote]
right. and for that, you could just wait for snow leopard, set to ship in june.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1795345' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:01 PM']question: do you already have an external hard drive that you use for backup?[/quote]

Yes? I have a program called Synk Pro I use now

franciscanheart

The question mark following your response makes me wonder if you know what the hell I'm talking about. On the other hand, you could just be wondering why I'm asking if you have one. The only reason I ask is this: if you don't already own an external hard drive, rationalizing the cost of the upgrade based on the Time Machine seems illogical.

Oh yes I realize that.

I bought an external HDD this Christmas after mine crashed.

Yes Time Machine would be rather pointless without it :)