An Old School Catholic Message Board

Proposal At U.n. To Criminalize 'defamation Of Islam'

cmotherofpirl

Vincent Vega

I'm glad it passed. No one deserves to have their religious beliefs mocked or belittled.
I hope the one for the defamation of Christianity is next on the list.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1818653' date='Mar 28 2009, 03:10 PM']I'm glad it passed. No one deserves to have their religious beliefs mocked or belittled.
I hope the one for the defamation of Christianity is next on the list.[/quote]
Right...you seriously believe that don't you. THis is simply another way to attack the West.
Religions do not have rights, only people do.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1818653' date='Mar 28 2009, 01:10 PM']I'm glad it passed. No one deserves to have their religious beliefs mocked or belittled.

Yeah well that's basically what happens anytime sacramental marriage, birth control, abortion, etc. etc. etc. are brought up in discussion at basically any academic institution in America. Mocking and Belittling. But as far as I know it's freedom of speech and I just have to bend over and take it. Maybe someday when active Catholics are reduced to a horribly small minority we will finally be protected by hate-speech laws or something.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1818668' date='Mar 28 2009, 01:50 PM']Right...you seriously believe that don't you. THis is simply another way to attack the West.
Religions do not have rights, only people do.[/quote]
[quote name='Veridicus' post='1818679' date='Mar 28 2009, 01:59 PM']Yeah well that's basically what happens anytime sacramental marriage, birth control, abortion, etc. etc. etc. are brought up in discussion at basically any academic institution in America. Mocking and Belittling. But as far as I know it's freedom of speech and I just have to bend over and take it. Maybe someday when active Catholics are reduced to a horribly small minority we will finally be protected by hate-speech laws or something.[/quote]
That was supposed to be kind of positive sarcasm, as indicated by the last line.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1818653' date='Mar 28 2009, 02:10 PM']I'm glad it passed. No one deserves to have their religious beliefs mocked or belittled.

Thanks for letting us know that you oppose free speech. Are you willing to give up your own rights to free speech, since you think it's so fine and well and a good thing to take these same rights away from others?

Furthermore, the resolutionn is NOT about "mocking and belitting". It is about **criticism**.

And, I wonder if you have even asked yourself why this resolution didn't include any other religion in the first place.

Edited by Madame Vengier

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1818679' date='Mar 28 2009, 02:59 PM']Yeah well that's basically what happens anytime sacramental marriage, birth control, abortion, etc. etc. etc. are brought up in discussion at basically any academic institution in America. Mocking and Belittling. But as far as I know it's freedom of speech and I just have to bend over and take it. Maybe someday when active Catholics are reduced to a horribly small minority we will finally be protected by hate-speech laws or something.[/quote]

It's not about bending over and taking it. Criticism of our religion is an opportunity to engage in dialogue about it. It is a chance to evangelize, to explain and support our Faith vocally. If no one ever criticizes and/or asks questions, how do we have an open door to dialogue? What does Islam have to hide that makes Muslims so hell-bent on forcing non-Muslims not to question or critique it??

I want to clarify again: This resolution is NOT about protecting Islam from belittling and mockery. It is about protecting Islam from ***criticism***.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1818717' date='Mar 28 2009, 02:29 PM']Thanks for letting us know that you oppose free speech. Are you willing to give up your own rights to free speech, since you think it's so fine and well and a good thing to take these same rights away from others?

Furthermore, the resolutionn is NOT about "mocking and belitting". It is about **criticism**.

And, I wonder if you have even asked yourself why this resolution didn't include any other religion in the first place.[/quote]
Uh oh, it appears I've been branded a Mooslim-Sympathyser.

I'm comin to the clubhouse, Hassan.

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1818722' date='Mar 28 2009, 02:33 PM']It's not about bending over and taking it. Criticism of our religion is an opportunity to engage in dialogue about it. It is a chance to evangelize, to explain and support our Faith vocally. If no one ever criticizes and/or asks questions, how do we have an open door to dialogue?[/quote]

I was just venting sarcasm. I do appreciate the dialogue, just not people's arrogant dismissivness. There is no dialogue when some one says "Oh you are Catholic, no wonder you vote pro-life" and then dismisses everything else you say as if you were only as intelligent as a brainwashed sheep. Anyway, this is beyond the scope of this post...

Madame Vengier

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1818729' date='Mar 28 2009, 03:38 PM']Uh oh, it appears I've been branded a Mooslim-Sympathyser.

:rolleyes:[/quote]

You branded yourself that. I made no such statement or suggestion. I said you've let it be known that you don't value the rights to free speech of others. It's notable that you refused to respond to any of the three comments contained in that post.

Edited by Madame Vengier

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1819074' date='Mar 28 2009, 09:47 PM']You branded yourself that. I made no such statement or suggestion. I said you've let it be known that you don't value the rights to free speech of others. It's notable that you refused to respond to any of the three comments contained in that post.[/quote]

Prolly because he was kidding. Remember when I was really, really dense and thouht that when you said "denial ain't just a river" you got "denial" confused eith "The Nile"? That, like his comment, was an attempt at what some call "humor". It's not usually a claim that is supposed to be taken on face value, it attempt to inject some comedic element into the discussion.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1818729' date='Mar 28 2009, 03:38 PM']Uh oh, it appears I've been branded a Mooslim-Sympathyser.

:rolleyes:[/quote]

<_<

You're welcome to try out but you don't just willy nilly announce yourself a member of the secret muslim/"Mooslim-Sympathyser" club house.

It's really a pretty exacting qualification process.

we get no respect :ohno:

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Hassan' post='1819085' date='Mar 28 2009, 08:55 PM']<_<

You're welcome to try out but you don't just willy nilly announce yourself a member of the secret muslim/"Mooslim-Sympathyser" club house.

It's really a pretty exacting qualification process.

we get no respect :ohno:[/quote]
Well the Queen of America kicked me out, so you're basically my last hope!

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1819087' date='Mar 28 2009, 09:57 PM']Well the Queen of America kicked me out, so you're basically my last hope![/quote]

FINE! <_<

If we keep doing this our street cred is going to plummet :unsure: