TradMom Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 +Praised be Jesus Christ! Forgive me if this has already been posted, I could not find anything. I am in shock and abject disappointment over what "our president" said last night about the Special Olympics. As the mother of a very special angel, I cannot imagine what would possess (well, actually, I can) someone to say something like that - let alone the president of the United States. I have already said a Rosary for him and for our country; I believe his off the cuff comment was a small glimpse into a very dangerous mind. Pax! TradMom
Lil Red Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 +J.M.J.+ he's already proven he doesn't value life (evidenced by his stance on the Born Alive Infants Act), why would he value life that is 'different' than 'normal' people. although, hubby and i were talking about it, the special olympics athletes probably bowl better than a 129.
rose wrought of iron Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 Yeah, that comment was rude and uncalled for. One of my sisters is special, and it really frustrates me when people make quips like that.
isilzha Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 That would end the political careers of some politicians, but he'll be fine after a day or two. I can't believe he said it, but I can at the same time.
isilzha Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 Here's the clip of it - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlYT2bseII"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlYT2bseII[/url]
Lil Red Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 +J.M.J.+ [url="http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/19/obama-insults-special-olympics/"]Transcript here[/url]
homeschoolmom Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='isilzha' post='1812321' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:30 PM']Here's the clip of it - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlYT2bseII"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlYT2bseII[/url][/quote] I see now why he sticks to the Teleprompter... he should never do improv.
Luthien Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 You know what really burns my rear? The fact that NO ONE cares about him saying this, that is pure [mod]Language. --Era Might[/mod]. The double standard is amazing to me.
Seven77 Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 as someone with a disability that offends me...i thought he wanted to help people with disabilities! isn't that what he said a few days ago?
HisChildForever Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 How rude. Furthermore, what is he doing on Leno? I thought that was for celebrities and musicians, not the PRESIDENT.
rhetoricfemme Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 This is disappointing to hear coming from anyone, but from the president it's unimaginable and extremely hurtful to everyone. Whether or not his comment was meant as an innocent joke, it's jokes like this that prolong stereotypes. People will either think, "Oh I don't really think of them that way, it's just a joke," and other people with lesser intentions can use those comments as a means to justify their own prejudices. Unacceptable. [quote name='Lil Red' post='1812308' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:20 AM']although, hubby and i were talking about it, the special olympics athletes probably bowl better than a 129. [/quote] When my husband was a teen he used to bowl with a disabled boy who could bowl games higher than most people expect themselves to bowl. And sometimes he'd knock the pins out of his lane, which he thought was hilarious.
CatherineM Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 I can think of a big toe I'd like to accidentally stomp with my crutch. I know what he was trying to say, and he just totally blew it. The point is that he's the President. He shouldn't be lowering the office trying to play comedian on TV. I don't think Eisenhower ever went on the Jack Benny Show.
Era Might Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 It was a bad joke, he shouldn't have said it, but I think it was a joke a lot of people could have made without thinking. It's like when people say that something is "retarded." They usually aren't trying to make fun of mentally challenged people, it's just a word people use (though they probably shouldn't).
cmotherofpirl Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 This is why POTUS should never leave TOTUS behind. When President Bush made a mistake he didn't insult people in the process and when he caught it or others did usually laughed at himself as well. Mr Obama simply shows his true feelings and his incompetance as a speaker , and no one is laughing.
BG45 Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 From the Beeb: [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7955842.stm"]Obama sorry for disability remark[/url]
CatherineM Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 I just saw a bit on it on Canadian news. What was funny is the commentator was talking about how composed and relaxed Obama was during these times of such difficulty. My thought was that during such somber times, we don't need a President who looks relaxed. I want him to look like Kennedy did during the Cuban Crisis or how Regan looked after the bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebanon. I want him to look like someone who looks focused on the task and like a grown up. Most Canadians are so in love with Obama, that he could take a dump on the Lincoln Memorial, and they'd spin it into a loving tribute.
Ash Wednesday Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Betterterm/bobbarkerfail.jpg[/img]
Luthien Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='BG45' post='1812388' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:57 PM']From the Beeb: [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7955842.stm"]Obama sorry for disability remark[/url][/quote] Of course he is, he looked like a judgemental jerk.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now