Luthien Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Era Might' post='1812384' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:51 PM']It was a bad joke, he shouldn't have said it, but I think it was a joke a lot of people could have made without thinking. It's like when people say that something is "retarded." They usually aren't trying to make fun of mentally challenged people, it's just a word people use (though they probably shouldn't).[/quote] He's president, he can't afford to "accidently" insult a whole category of people.
Arpy Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 I think we should try to publicize this as widely as possible. Oh yes.
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 I don't know. I think this is getting into liberal, PC, word-nazi type of stuff. People used to make jokes all the time using "Special Olympics" and no one died from it. Sure, nowadays it's considered a little insensitive, but he wasn't MAKING FUN of people in the SO, just using it as a phrase to indicate how poor his skills are at whatever it was...bowling or something? Let's face it, people are in the SO for a reason...because they have developmental or intellectual disabilities that keep them from being in the other Olympics. It's not like using the phrase to describe one's lacking in the sport of bowling is really that out of left field. Even though Obama is not my favorite person I am extremely wary of this kind of attention and pressure that is on not only famous people but even average people to be careful of every little thing we say. It seems that someone is constantly offended by something. America has become a nation of people with thin skins and easily bruised feelings. I think it's ridiculous. And embarassing.
MIKolbe Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote]ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- The top bowler for the Special Olympics looks forward to meeting President Barack Obama in an alley. "He bowled a 129. I bowl a 300. I could beat that score easily," Michigan's Kolan McConiughey (KO-lahn Mc-KAHNA-he) told The Associated Press in an interview Friday. ... McConiughey, who is mentally disabled, is just the bowler for the job. He's bowled five perfect games since 2005. The 35-year-old McConiughey has been bowling since he was 8 or 9. His advice for Obama? Practice every day.[/quote] [url="http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBAMA_SPECIAL_OLYMPICS?SITE=NWCN&TEMPLATE=USHEADS.html&SECTION=HOME"]ARTICLE HERE[/url]
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1812417' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:59 PM']He's president, he can't afford to "accidently" insult a whole category of people.[/quote] He did not insult a whole category of people. He was making fun of his own poor skills at bowling. Or whatever it was. In his defense, before he was president he was actually of the few politicians who vocally and publicly supported hiring people with disabilities in White House positions. If I'm not mistaken he has made sure some have gotten employment in the White House since he came in. He's hardly anyone that can be accused of "insulting" people with disabilities. He's insulted me as a Catholic lots of times, but never people with disabilities.
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1812356' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:02 PM']How rude. Furthermore, what is he doing on Leno? I thought that was for celebrities and musicians, not the PRESIDENT.[/quote] Well, I'm in the minority in this thread b/c I thought his remark was totally harmless. That being said...going on Leno is unpresidential? Please. Bill Clinton set the precedent when he went on MTV and told them what kind of underpants he wears. Granted, he wasn't president YET at that time, but it was a sign of things to come of the kind of crude and indecent behavior he was capable of. Anyway, I do agree...presidents do not belong on chat shows. I guess this dog-and-pony trick is supposed to make America look cool or something.
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Era Might' post='1812384' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:51 PM']It was a bad joke, he shouldn't have said it, but I think it was a joke a lot of people could have made without thinking. It's like when people say that something is "retarded." They usually aren't trying to make fun of mentally challenged people, it's just a word people use (though they probably shouldn't).[/quote] Agree, BUT, I don't think "retarded" is a word that is sacrosanct for people with developmental and intellectual disabilities. The actual meaning of the word doesn't mean "intellectually disabled" as we all know. It's a word that can be used for a lot of things, as one of its meanings is "to cause to slow down, delay or impede". Actually, nowadays it's considered politically incorrect to call retarded people retarded. The new accepted phrase is "intellecually challenged". But right before that it was "intellectually disabled" and people got offended by that TOO and changed it to "challenged". The greater concern is how we as a society are playing nazi with words. Edited March 20, 2009 by Madame Vengier
Luthien Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1812424' date='Mar 20 2009, 06:08 PM']He did not insult a whole category of people. He was making fun of his own poor skills at bowling. Or whatever it was. In his defense, before he was president he was actually of the few politicians who vocally and publicly supported hiring people with disabilities in White House positions. If I'm not mistaken he has made sure some have gotten employment in the White House since he came in. He's hardly anyone that can be accused of "insulting" people with disabilities. He's insulted me as a Catholic lots of times, but never people with disabilities.[/quote] Well, I guess my understanding of what he said is that he was saying he bowled like a disabled person, like it was an embarassment.
Era Might Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1812417' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:59 PM']He's president, he can't afford to "accidently" insult a whole category of people.[/quote] Why not? Every president makes mistakes.
jmjtina Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 if he didn't insult a whole bunch of people, why did he call and apologize to the leader of the "bunch of people" he insulted?
goldbug16 Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 I heard about it this morning. I was livid. What kind of cheap croutons comment was that? I have an Uncle who has a mental disability, and he is the most kind, wonderful person in the world. It makes me ILL when our President is making horrible statements like that.
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='jmjtina' post='1812442' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:35 PM']if he didn't insult a whole bunch of people, why did he call and apologize to the leader of the "bunch of people" he insulted?[/quote] They took personal insult to his comment and he apologized. So what? The fact that they FELT insulted doesn't mean his intention was to insult them. You can say sorry for being the cause of someone feeling bad and again, this doesn't mean you deliberately intended to make them feel bad.
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1812436' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:24 PM']Well, I guess my understanding of what he said is that he was saying he bowled like a disabled person, like it was an embarassment.[/quote] See, that's the thing. He DIDN'T say that. He didn't say WORD ONE *about* disabled people. He made a comment that he had been practicing at bowling and had finally worked himself up to a score that wasn't so bad, but not so great either, and ended with "like it was the Special Olympics". Isn't the SO all about trying to do something the best you can despite your disability?
jmjtina Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1812449' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:40 PM']They took personal insult to his comment and he apologized. So what? The fact that they FELT insulted doesn't mean his intention was to insult them. You can say sorry for being the cause of someone feeling bad and again, this doesn't mean you deliberately intended to make them feel bad.[/quote] People skills. And that is something that the President does have, which is why he apologized. It's actually something the average person has, though not everyone. Obviously.
TradMom Posted March 20, 2009 Author Posted March 20, 2009 (edited) +Praised be Jesus Christ! Dear Madame Vengier, I must respectfully disagree with you. Words, as we have come to find out, carry much weight and have great power. Especially labels. As the first minority president of our country, I would expect he knows this better than most. I just read your last two posts and am now going to amend my answer. He insulted many, many people. He used the disabilities of a group of people - who are challenged in ways we cannot imagine - to laugh about his lack of profiency in a particular sport. I am sorry you cannot better understand how and why he insulted so many. As for the use of language...we tend to be very careful of language today because we know what they can do to a person, a family, a community. Perhaps I am more sensitive regarding this issue than most because of my daughter; that I cannot answer. Pax! TradMom Edited for amendment Edited March 20, 2009 by TradMom
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='jmjtina' post='1812454' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:43 PM']People skills. And that is something that the President does have, which is why he apologized. It's actually something the average person has, though not everyone. Obviously.[/quote] But who defines "people skills"? The Japanese? The British? Groups who are world-renowned for manners and polite touches? Even a high-ranking member of the Japanese Diet used to get in trouble every few months for saying the most absurd and inappropriate things, but in reality he meant no harm. He just didn't have good judgment in expressing himself. He once said that he wanted to see Japan's economy grow so strong and stable "that even Jews would want to live here". People around the world went nuts. I think he may have finally been forced to resign on account of that and other insensitive remarks (there was also something about Japanese women should stay home and have babies as a way to contribute to society, because Japan is in a birth dearth). I'm just saying Obama's little comment really was not worth what people are making of it.
Madame Vengier Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='TradMom' post='1812459' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:46 PM']+Praised be Jesus Christ! Dear Madame Vengier, I must respectfully disagree with you.[/quote] And that's fine. I'm standing my ground on this in any case.
BG45 Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1812416' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:58 PM']Of course he is, he looked like a judgemental jerk.[/quote] Pretty much.
Lilllabettt Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 I know people who are offended by the word "special" being applied to people with disabilities. Because they say, my kids are healthy and normal, and just as special. Looks to me like the President first mistake was going on Leno and trying to be funny. 99% of the population tells, listens to, or laughs at jokes like that ... but President Obama went ahead and broadcasted his insensitivity. We like to think our Presidents are "super people" and better than the rest of us, so public sensibilities were doubly offended.
HisChildForever Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1812430' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:13 PM']Well, I'm in the minority in this thread b/c I thought his remark was totally harmless. That being said...going on Leno is unpresidential? Please. Bill Clinton set the precedent when he went on MTV and told them what kind of underpants he wears. Granted, he wasn't president YET at that time, but it was a sign of things to come of the kind of crude and indecent behavior he was capable of. Anyway, I do agree...presidents do not belong on chat shows. I guess this dog-and-pony trick is supposed to make America look cool or something.[/quote] I believe his being on Leno is all about appearances too - not [i]just[/i] to look cool or trendy but to "convince" the American people that he is not "above" appearing on a comedic talk show. That like the "average" American, he can sit back and be goofy. Like you, I also do not believe that he meant to insult the Special Olympics. We ALL misuse certain terms from time to time. If an arrogant driver cuts you off and you call him a [mod]edited for language --hugheyforlife[/mod], are you automatically insulting individuals who were born to unwed parents? No, of course not. Anyway I just think that due to his position he should pay more careful attention to his words.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now