Vincent Vega Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 Without sinning by virtue of failing to fulfill my fasting obligation on Friday?
CatherineM Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 That's an interesting question. Has to do with the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law. I would say if you open your Christmas or Birthday presents right after midnight, then you have a precedence for considering that the next day already. You couldn't eat meat after midnight on Thursday though. Just remember that the fast is supposed to be looked on as a blessing for us, and not something to just endure.
Vincent Vega Posted March 21, 2009 Author Posted March 21, 2009 I suppose (well, know) you're right, Cathizzle. I guess I'll wait until morning to have some of that leftover meat lovers. (Fridays are rough with non-Catholics in the house. )
Guest Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 (edited) haha last week at 12 I rushed for my left over burger king in the fridge. Edited March 21, 2009 by Guest
LouisvilleFan Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 I think it's fine... how frequently are you actually eating after midnight anyway? Sometimes I make a little game out of it to celebrate midnight FWIW, I gave up meat for all of Lent, and when it comes to dinner on Saturday, I figure if the vigil is good enough for celebrating Sunday Mass, it's good enough for me to enjoy a hamburger
TotusTuusMaria Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 last week i did it. my house is bare. it is either PB&J or Macaroni and coagulated milk... on most Fridays I would just rather not eat... I guess the "lentful" thing to do would be eat the mac and coagulated milk with a smile.
ardillacid Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 I didn't know fasting was obligatory on Fridays...
KnightofChrist Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 You can't eat after midnight you'll turn into a Germlin
mcts Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='dauntingknight' post='1812752' date='Mar 20 2009, 10:53 PM']I want to hold a 12:05 Barbecue.[/quote] that would be fun!
Theologian in Training Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1812690' date='Mar 21 2009, 12:12 AM']Without sinning by virtue of failing to fulfill my fasting obligation on Friday?[/quote] Happened at the seminary all the time
Theologian in Training Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1813094' date='Mar 21 2009, 04:31 AM']You can't eat after midnight you'll turn into a Germlin[/quote] What's a Germlin?
homeschoolmom Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1813187' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:47 AM']What's a Germlin? [/quote] It's a horrible little beasty that goes around infecting people with nasty cold viruses... icky.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1812919' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:22 AM']I think it's fine... how frequently are you actually eating after midnight anyway? Sometimes I make a little game out of it to celebrate midnight FWIW, I gave up meat for all of Lent, and when it comes to dinner on Saturday, I figure if the vigil is good enough for celebrating Sunday Mass, it's good enough for me to enjoy a hamburger [/quote] Church time starts at sundown which is why you can have a vigil saturday night.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1812946' date='Mar 21 2009, 02:43 AM']last week i did it. my house is bare. it is either PB&J or Macaroni and coagulated milk... on most Fridays I would just rather not eat... I guess the "lentful" thing to do would be eat the mac and coagulated milk with a smile.[/quote] You can always take the macaroni, and add tuna and peas to make a casserole. Or you can drain the macaroni, add broccoli and other diced veggies, and add italian dressing and have pasta salad.
Ash Wednesday Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 At midnight it's officially Saturday so I don't see why not. But hey, I guess there are graces to be gained by waiting a couple of extra minutes or so.
Galloglasses' Alt Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 To simplify things I always considered the end of the day was when I fell asleep and the moment I woke up the moment the next day began. The time inbetween doesn't count, those hours are hours of secret lies.
Resurrexi Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1813196' date='Mar 21 2009, 08:14 AM']Church time starts at sundown which is why you can have a vigil saturday night. [/quote] In general the Church sees the day beginning and ending at midnight. "In law, a day is understood as a period consisting of 24 continuous hours and begins at midnight unless other provision is expressly made." (Can. 202 §1) However, the liturgical celebration of major feasts begins at first vespers.
ardillacid Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='notardillacid' post='1813085' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:25 AM']I didn't know fasting was obligatory on Fridays...[/quote] anybody?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now