IcePrincessKRS Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='notardillacid' post='1813437' date='Mar 21 2009, 07:12 PM']anybody?[/quote] It's not. Abstaining from meat is obligatory. Fasting is required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. [url="http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm[/url]
cmotherofpirl Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1813359' date='Mar 21 2009, 04:40 PM']In general the Church sees the day beginning and ending at midnight. "In law, a day is understood as a period consisting of 24 continuous hours and begins at midnight unless other provision is expressly made." (Can. 202 §1) However, the liturgical celebration of major feasts begins at first vespers.[/quote] THats just what I said - church time
MissyP89 Posted March 21, 2009 Posted March 21, 2009 I gave up sweets, and will totally be having a cookie after midnight tonight.
ardillacid Posted March 22, 2009 Posted March 22, 2009 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1813441' date='Mar 21 2009, 06:19 PM']It's not. Abstaining from meat is obligatory. Fasting is required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. [url="http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm[/url][/quote] Thanks, that's what i've always thought
Brigid Posted March 22, 2009 Posted March 22, 2009 for fasting/abstaining purposes, I follow the midnight-to-midnight rule. I gave up facebook for lent, and it's sunday morning, so here I am. it evens out; tomorrow after midnight I won't get on because it's monday.
Vincent Vega Posted March 22, 2009 Author Posted March 22, 2009 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1813441' date='Mar 21 2009, 06:19 PM']It's not. Abstaining from meat is obligatory. Fasting is required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. [url="http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm[/url][/quote] Oh! Well that's news to me. I guess fasting can't hurt though, right?
Winchester Posted March 22, 2009 Posted March 22, 2009 It's not under pain of sin, though. [i]After [/i]midnight might be an issue. [img]http://www.wheresmyparade.com/images/gremlin.jpg[/img]
IcePrincessKRS Posted March 22, 2009 Posted March 22, 2009 [quote name='notardillacid' post='1813895' date='Mar 22 2009, 04:27 AM']Thanks, that's what i've always thought[/quote] You were right. [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1814049' date='Mar 22 2009, 03:49 PM']Oh! Well that's news to me. I guess fasting can't hurt though, right?[/quote] I think a lot of people get fasting and abstinence confused, or think they mean the same thing. I had one woman once try to tell me that when the Church says to abstain during Lent it meant abstain from sex. Obviously, fasting isn't a bad thing. I tend to do it most Fridays during Lent when I'm not preg or nursing (haven't done that in awhile though ). It's just not required every Friday.
LouisvilleFan Posted March 22, 2009 Posted March 22, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1813359' date='Mar 21 2009, 04:40 PM']In general the Church sees the day beginning and ending at midnight. "In law, a day is understood as a period consisting of 24 continuous hours and begins at midnight unless other provision is expressly made." (Can. 202 §1) However, the liturgical celebration of major feasts begins at first vespers.[/quote] Which is rooted in the Jewish/Eastern understanding that a day begins and ends at sunset.
T-Bone _ Posted March 22, 2009 Posted March 22, 2009 I work Friday graveyard shift--I eat lunch after midnight, and have meat. Thursday nights, not so much...
ardillacid Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1814095' date='Mar 22 2009, 03:57 PM']You were right. [/quote] If I had a dime for each time I heard that!
Lil Red Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 [quote name='notardillacid' post='1814936' date='Mar 23 2009, 01:41 PM']If I had a dime for each time I heard that![/quote] +J.M.J.+ you'd have 10 cents?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now