Fidei Defensor Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1817104' date='Mar 26 2009, 12:47 PM']The same better apply for shows that have Pro-Christian themes. It's a TV show. If you're offended, don't watch.[/quote] I've never complained about it. I don't watch those shows, doesn't mean I want them to be off the TV. [quote name='T-Bone _' post='1817333' date='Mar 26 2009, 05:54 PM']I own the airwaves. If you're offended by that, move to a country where private companies own the airwaves, or get cable, where such filth belongs. And you're wrong that the FCC knew about it before it aired. The FCC doesn't have the time to review everything before it airs. That's what network censors are for--to avoid problems with sponsors and the FCC. (If I were you, I'd get my facts straight before spouting off about thing which I know nothing about.)[/quote] Condescending much? You're painting the FCC out as a bunch of morons, like they have no clue that Family Guy could be offensive. If I were you, I wouldn't put money on that.
Saint Therese Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 (edited) How can we complain about big gov't or overregulation when we want the government to make the broadcasters only show the programs we like. That's not the solution. If you really want to get a show off the air, contact the sponsors. Government is not the solution. Edited March 27, 2009 by Saint Therese
LouisvilleFan Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1817223' date='Mar 26 2009, 06:27 PM']I find South Park to pretty much be nothing but trash and much of the time blasphemous. The Simpsons I can handle, but I still find some of their humor gross. I'm a firm believer that what we read or watch can have a great deal of influence on us morally. I mean you put trash in and what are you going to get out?[/quote] I don't watch South Park or any TV very much (besides Lost), but South Park often has a deeper message about society, politics, religion and all those taboo topics underneath the offensive language and humor. They're just speaking the language of their audience.
Winchester Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1817104' date='Mar 26 2009, 02:47 PM']The same better apply for shows that have Pro-Christian themes. It's a TV show. If you're offended, don't watch.[/quote] I don't think Advocatus illigitimus has ever argued in favor of removing Christian programs.
Lounge Daddy Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 I don't watch those programs for a reason. But if it bothers enough people, write to the manufacturers of the products advertising on the programs. Anything beats running to the Government, for one. And the advertisers do let the programers know when they hear complaints -- it does get results.
StColette Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1817728' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:06 AM']I don't watch South Park or any TV very much (besides Lost), but South Park often has a deeper message about society, politics, religion and all those taboo topics underneath the offensive language and humor. They're just speaking the language of their audience.[/quote] When shows like South Park make degrading comments about the Blessed Mother that's going way over the line. I don't care if it has a deeper message beneath the offensive language and humor. When a particular episode is aired the eve before the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and is degrading towards Mary, that's enough for me to right off a show completely. That's not mentioning all the episodes degrading Christ. When you watch these shows you are supporting them and keeping them on the air. And they may be speaking the language of their audience, but look at society today. Do we honestly want to continue on the path society at large is on?
StColette Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' post='1817730' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:10 AM']I don't think Advocatus illigitimus has ever argued in favor of removing Christian programs.[/quote] The point I was trying to make is there is always some type of double standard. If something is anti-Christian, etc.. we are told to just not watch it if it offends us. But if something is Christian and offends someone then it is taken off the air. One example I can think of is Veggie Tales. They were instructed to remove all Christian references from their shows. They could still have moral lessons but they had to avoid any Christian references. Umm another one that comes to mind is Touch by an Angel, which I remember being pulled because of it's Christian theme.
Luthien Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1817766' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:45 PM']When shows like South Park make degrading comments about the Blessed Mother that's going way over the line. I don't care if it has a deeper message beneath the offensive language and humor. When a particular episode is aired the eve before the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and is degrading towards Mary, that's enough for me to right off a show completely. That's not mentioning all the episodes degrading Christ. When you watch these shows you are supporting them and keeping them on the air. And they may be speaking the language of their audience, but look at society today. Do we honestly want to continue on the path society at large is on?[/quote] EXACTLY! Jennie makes some sweet points. How far do people have to go? Really?
StColette Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1817780' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:19 AM']EXACTLY! Jennie makes some sweet points. How far do people have to go? Really?[/quote] Laura, clear out your PM box lol
Luthien Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1817782' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:23 PM']Laura, clear out your PM box lol[/quote] Done.
StColette Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' post='1817790' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:44 AM']Done. [/quote] ty and sent and back to our regular scheduled program
LouisvilleFan Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 (edited) [quote name='StColette' post='1817766' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:45 AM']When shows like South Park make degrading comments about the Blessed Mother that's going way over the line. I don't care if it has a deeper message beneath the offensive language and humor. When a particular episode is aired the eve before the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and is degrading towards Mary, that's enough for me to right off a show completely. That's not mentioning all the episodes degrading Christ. When you watch these shows you are supporting them and keeping them on the air. And they may be speaking the language of their audience, but look at society today. Do we honestly want to continue on the path society at large is on?[/quote] I haven't seen that episode. It would probably be over the line for me too, but keep in mind their goal is to offend everybody, so it's not targeted at any specific group. Thus, making a fuss and boycotting only brings more attention to the show and that's all the really want. It may be cheap, but that's how the world works. The lesson to learn from the success of South Park and Family Guy is that a little shock therapy helps get a message across, where playing nice just gets you ignored. Most Catholic outreach isn't speaking the culture's language, so it's mostly disrespected. We could stand to command a bolder presence in society, in our cities through media, arts, and culture. How many parishes, priests, and evangelists are out there questioning today's status quo? Who's asking tough questions? What are Newman Centers, FOCUS, and other campus ministries doing? For the most part, we hold the door to politely allow society to continue along her course. Edited March 27, 2009 by LouisvilleFan
Thy Geekdom Come Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1817932' date='Mar 27 2009, 05:01 PM']I haven't seen that episode. It would probably be over the line for me too, but keep in mind their goal is to offend everybody, so it's not targeted at any specific group. Thus, making a fuss and boycotting only brings more attention to the show and that's all the really want. It may be cheap, but that's how the world works. The lesson to learn from the success of South Park and Family Guy is that a little shock therapy helps get a message across, where playing nice just gets you ignored. Most Catholic outreach isn't speaking the culture's language, so it's mostly disrespected. We could stand to command a bolder presence in society, in our cities through media, arts, and culture. How many parishes, priests, and evangelists are out there questioning today's status quo? Who's asking tough questions? What are Newman Centers, FOCUS, and other campus ministries doing? For the most part, we hold the door to politely allow society to continue along her course.[/quote] I don't understand...are you saying the church should do more shock therapy? I mean, you can be bold and dynamic without shocking people. You mention FOCUS, I think in a negative sense, implying that they also should do shock therapy, but the fact is that FOCUS has grown exponentially for the last 8 years from 20 at the first national conference to over 2400 total in three regional conferences a couple years ago. They are certainly getting a lot of attention, all without shocking people.
StColette Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1817932' date='Mar 27 2009, 05:01 PM']I haven't seen that episode. It would probably be over the line for me too, but keep in mind their goal is to offend everybody, so it's not targeted at any specific group. Thus, making a fuss and boycotting only brings more attention to the show and that's all the really want. It may be cheap, but that's how the world works.[/quote] If their goal is to offend, why watch it? What good is it doing your soul, or anyone's soul for that matter, by watching something that is nothing but filth. Watching such things usually causes us to become desensitized, and that's something that we do not want. And their goal may not be to offend a certain group but when they start doing things that are blasphemous and they think it's funny it's our duty to stand against that, not continue watching it! Did you ever hear about what led Ted Bundey to do the things he did? It start with the things he read and viewed and they slowly started to affect the way he viewed people. He began to objectify them and see them as nothing. And eventually began raping and killing them. All because he started reading smut. As for the second part of your post, I'll come back to that on Monday
ardillacid Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 I think this says more about Fox than anything else...
Hassan Posted March 28, 2009 Posted March 28, 2009 I enjoyed the first two seasons of family guy. I gave up on thenew ones. Just trashy, stupid andreally vulgar. I think South Park can have interesting social commentary and they can be funny. They can also be vulgar, it's something to balance.
LouisvilleFan Posted March 29, 2009 Posted March 29, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' post='1817942' date='Mar 27 2009, 06:14 PM']I don't understand...are you saying the church should do more shock therapy? I mean, you can be bold and dynamic without shocking people. You mention FOCUS, I think in a negative sense, implying that they also should do shock therapy, but the fact is that FOCUS has grown exponentially for the last 8 years from 20 at the first national conference to over 2400 total in three regional conferences a couple years ago. They are certainly getting a lot of attention, all without shocking people.[/quote] I don't mean to paint FOCUS in a negative light... in my experience, they are doing a much better job that the Newman Centers I've seen. But I think there is a place in evangelism for being a bit more ballsy in getting the Gospel out there in all the conversations in our society, especially on college campuses. I am curious, though, is FOCUS still growing? I've checked their web site a few times over the past couple years and it doesn't seem like they have more campuses listed than before. I hope it is... I've considered being a campus minister with them, after I finally knuckle down to pay off my credit card debt. To clarify what I mean, one good example I just learned about is an article John Piper, pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, wrote back in 1984 titled "A Frank Conversation on Masturbation." He caught a lot of criticism for it, but he also received a letter from a chaplain at West Point thanking him for the most important message some of those men had read in a long time. He also preached a sermon titled "Missions and Masturbation" that was obviously controversial, but also highly respected by at least some Evangelicals as one of the most important sermons of our time. My question is, where are the Catholics who have the guts and care enough to preach these tough messages? Who is challenging us? Why is it that in Catholicism, questioning the status quo can only mean pushing for liberal causes, and never means taking a stand on the very real issues among faithful Catholics? Edited March 29, 2009 by LouisvilleFan
LouisvilleFan Posted March 29, 2009 Posted March 29, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1817946' date='Mar 27 2009, 06:20 PM']If their goal is to offend, why watch it? What good is it doing your soul, or anyone's soul for that matter, by watching something that is nothing but filth. Watching such things usually causes us to become desensitized, and that's something that we do not want. And their goal may not be to offend a certain group but when they start doing things that are blasphemous and they think it's funny it's our duty to stand against that, not continue watching it![/quote] For a Christian interested in evangelism, one reason is to learn about our culture, like St. Paul did before he started preaching about the "unknown god" that the Greeks acknowledged. We must listen and observe before we earn the right to preach.
LouisvilleFan Posted March 30, 2009 Posted March 30, 2009 I watched Family Guy last night... Brian is the reasonable, enlightened atheist and Meg is a born again, "washed in the blood of the Lamb" Christian. For Catholics who believe that faith and reason do work together, I'd have to say in some ways they were spot on in their portrayal of emotionally-charged fundamentalism. But Catholics can look like that too sometimes. I think we need to keep that in mind... perception is everything, and good speakers listen to their audience. Are we listening to our audience, which is the non-Christian (or progressive/liberal Christian) culture that surrounds us? If we appear unreasonable, it doesn't matter how reasonable we claim to be.
HisChildForever Posted March 30, 2009 Posted March 30, 2009 (edited) [quote name='StColette' post='1817946' date='Mar 27 2009, 05:20 PM']Did you ever hear about what led Ted Bundey to do the things he did? It start with the things he read and viewed and they slowly started to affect the way he viewed people. He began to objectify them and see them as nothing. And eventually began raping and killing them. All because he started reading smut.[/quote] Ted Bundy was a sociopath (now known as antisocial personality disorder). One of the common behaviors of a sociopath is promiscuous sexual behavior. Being addicted to sadistic porn did not CAUSE him to murder and rape. The addiction was a RESULT of his mental illness. I know that was off topic but I just had to say it. There is a thread about him around here somewhere. Edited March 30, 2009 by HisChildForever
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now