An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kids Choice Awards

BG45

rhetoricfemme

[quote]I don't think you should be part of the nominees if the kids voting can't buy your stuff without a parent.[/quote]
True story! It just goes to show how desensitized our country has let itself become...

[quote]Twilight series for best book...because obviously that's the best book series for a kid. Vampires and werewolves I have less problem with then the series sexual content and abortion talk.[/quote]
While I'd save Twilight for the older teens and not the younger, I'd like to defend it. Of the four books, the first two are rather innocent. Concerning the third and fourth books, [spoiler]the relationship matures with the couple, and they actually make a conscious decision to save sex until marriage, with reason of virtue being cited.[/spoiler]

As for the abortion part, I think it comes out very much in favor of pro-life. [spoiler]Bella gets pregnant while human, and they realize that carrying a hybrid (half human, half vampire) child could kill her at any time. However, Bella realizes straight from the beginning that this is a sacred life that she already loves, and she puts her needs second to the baby's.[/spoiler]

The book itself doesn't really even have an argument for or against abortion. [spoiler]The situation arises, and Bella's decision is final. No one really mulls over it, but instead all focus is on keeping her as healthy and comfortable as possible during the pregnancy. Not to mention, that eventually is becomes clear even to the doubtful that this is a precious life worth enduring pain for.[/spoiler]

Like I said, definitely the books target an older teen audience to grow up with, but I still think that they showcase good decision-making can happen at any age.

(/soapbox)(/hi-jack)
[size=1]Edited for mild spoilers.[/size]

Edited by rhetoricfemme

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1819151' date='Mar 28 2009, 07:36 PM']Rhetoricfemme is ALL about Team Edward. ;)[/quote]
I'm not gonna lie. It's true. We find out the gender of our child on Tuesday, and if it's a boy his name will be Edward. This decision is pre-Twilight days, however. If no one in my life ever believes, me, though... I'd totally understand. :topsy:

[quote](Jk, love ya. :P)[/quote]
Love you, too. :lol_roll: