An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kid's Dirtbikes(minibikes) About To Be Completely Banned!?&#33

Jesus_lol

[quote]I don’t know if you’ve been following this, but there is a law coming into effect on Feb 10th 2009 that effectively bans the sale of a huge number of children’s products, including dirt bikes. Honda and Yamaha have both sent letters to their dealers telling them to remove the kid’s bikes from display, and to cease selling them. Even private sales will break the law. OSET sent a letter to dealers yesterday with the same information.

This is all to do with lead paint in kid’s toys. The Govt. had a knee jerk reaction and made a law that bans lead in quantities of 600ppm or more… not just in paint, but in ANYTHING that a kid of 12 or under might use. What’s worse, is that the law has been deemed to be ‘retroactive’, so all inventory is affected. A bike that satisfies the law today, will be hazardous on Feb 10th.

It turns out that lead in steel alloys is normal, and necessary in fact. It make the steel more ‘pliable’, easier to machine, bend etc. Steel alloys without lead are more expensive to use in manufacturing. Thus, many steel frames contain lead in higher than 600ppm, so the frames are now a ‘hazardous’ material. The lead in steel is insoluble, and wouldn’t come out in a million years, but the CPSC and Govt don’t seem to get that. There is also lead in valve stems, vinyl seats, cable housings & spoke nipples. All will be ‘hazardous’ as of Feb 10th.

We’ve obviously been keeping a close eye on this. There is one final chance that a ‘stay’ will be granted on Feb 9th that will delay implementation while the CPSC sort themselves out. There are petitions from all sorts of industries in to the CPSC and the Government. The MIC and AMA are both on it. Unfortunately, it appears to have become a ‘political’ issue rather than a safety issue. How many kids have you seen sucking on spoke nipples??

Here’s a NY Times article [url="http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/dirt-bikes/"]http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/dirt-bikes/[/url]

Cycle News ran this: [url="http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=13414"]http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=13414[/url]

Honda’s letter here [url="http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=13413"]http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=13413[/url]

That was sent to me yesterday. As of today, not much has changed. Yes, there was stay awarded a few days ago. But it doesn’t affect the February 10th deadline. It only affects the actual testing of products that will be illegal once that deadline passes.

Scary? beaver dam right it is. If youth ATV and motorcycle sales stop in this down economy then expect to see less bikes in the 2010 shootouts.

Hell for Leather posted this update on Feb. 3rd that has a very serious and scary letter from Honda to its dealers on it. [url="http://http//hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/02/cpsia-resolution-elusive-as-de.html"]http://http//hellforleathermagazine.com/20...sive-as-de.html[/url]

Call your state representatives of congress. Call your state senators. Call your local dog catcher. Call anyone that will listen to how ridiculous this is.

Now, more than ever, we need to stand up for our, and our kids’, right to ride.

Oh, and don’t eat motorcycles. It’s bad for you.[/quote]

government being all kinds of dumb. again.
quite apart from being completely unnecessary and sad, this will probably drive a couple companies into the ground.
what are your thoughts?

Edited by Jesus_lol

Nihil Obstat

I always thought those things were lame. :P

Sorry, no contructive comments. I'm sure some libertarian/anarchists will have something to say.

No help from me. I remember what my brother Jimmy's backside looked like at 15 when he removed all the skin back there dumping his bike. My brother John broke his back on a 4 wheeler, and he was a strong, powerful man. I see no reason for children to be on motorized vehicles.

that isnt why they are being banned though. and i have seen and been part of some seriously nasty bicycle accidents, but there is no way they would ban those.

TotusTuusMaria

if it will protect children then I don't have a problem with it. Children do not NEED those bikes.

I was in a very serious accident with them and ran into a tree. My brother then a week later broke his femur bone on one. To this day he has a rod in his leg and now one leg is longer then the other one. Had no idea about the lead quantity in them... I personally have no problem with them being banned for children. A lot of accidents happen on those things.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='The Bus Station' post='1821736' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:45 AM']Give me a break. What's next, bungee jumping? :rolleyes:[/quote]

They don't allow 12 year olds to bungee jump. :rolleyes:

This isn't about outlawing dirt bikes altogether. It is outlawing them for children under 12. My brother was 12 when his accident happened. They just are not safe and the whole lead thing is an important issue for any parent.

You don't hear people petitioning for their seven year old to have the "right" to bungee jump. Same with dirt bikes. That is not a right that any child needs and certainly one that parents need to re-think giving to their children considering the dangers of them.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

piano_freak184

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1821743' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:48 AM']They don't allow 12 year olds to bungee jump. :rolleyes:

This isn't about outlawing dirt bikes altogether. It is outlawing them for children under 12. My brother was 12 when his accident happened. They just are not safe and the whole lead thing is an important issue for any parent.

You don't hear people petitioning for their seven year old to have the "right" to bungee jump. Same with dirt bikes. That is not a right that any child needs and certainly one that parents need to re-think giving to their children considering the dangers of them.[/quote]
...But I love dirt biking...it's fun... :weep:

and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric little 50cc dirtbikes arent really dangerous anyways. and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric as FORE!!! the fluffy pancake and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric delightable lead quantity, there Izzy no way that wicky wicky wack it, an okay but not SO great novel, could be ingested or "leak" out. soldier boy, YOU!!!!! would have to be together forever, soldier boy, YOU!!!!! AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!!! my love, practically melt it, an okay but not SO great novel, down into component parts to be together forever, soldier boy, YOU!!!!! AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!!! my love, seperate out any lead.

children dont need skateboards, rollerblades or scooters either. i have hurt myself pretty bad off all those, and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric soldier boy, YOU!!!!! can also take the fluffy pancake and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric delightable onto the fluffy pancake and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric delightable public roads, unlike minibikes.

and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric it, an okay but not SO great novel, wont be just FORE!!! children, the fluffy pancake and grapes, with seeds of a withering oak, under a canopy of saurkraut fabric delightable ban will effectively make no one able to be together forever, soldier boy, YOU!!!!! AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!!! my love, buy them or sell their used ones.

I rode dirt bikes from age 7 and up, but I was also taught how to ride carefully as well as wear protective gear (helmet, chest protector, riding boots, and kidney pads). I never had an accident that I didn't get up right away from. Riding a regular bike can be just as dangerous.

Archaeology cat

This effects any product being sold for use/wear by children under 12. Even products that don't normally contain lead have to be tested (like sweaters) from what I understand. Currently I don't think they're enforcing it, while it's under review. I wrote to my Rep & Senators about it. I think it's an insane law, personally.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1822481' date='Apr 1 2009, 11:24 PM']children dont need skateboards, rollerblades or scooters either. i have hurt myself pretty bad off all those...[/quote]

How often do children seriously harm themselves on skateboard, rollerblades, and scooters? When did a child last die from them?

Children have been[b] seriously harmed[/b] on motorcycles, dirt-bikes, and four wheelers. It happens [u]all the time.[/u]

I honestly don't think the two groups of "toys" can be rightly compared.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1822662' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:05 PM']This effects any product being sold for use/wear by children under 12. Even products that don't normally contain lead have to be tested (like sweaters) from what I understand. Currently I don't think they're enforcing it, while it's under review. I wrote to my Rep & Senators about it. I think it's an insane law, personally.[/quote]

Yeah, I think they're taking this a little too much to the extreme (testing sweaters and all natural wooden toys? seriously?). On the other hand, as to the OP, I don't think that this is necessarily a stupid reason. Aside from the dangers of actually riding the bikes, lead poisoning is not something to take lightly. I think that if they KNOW the product contains lead they should be taking measures to make it safer for kids, who are at a higher risk for lead poisoning than adults.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1822673' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:21 PM']How often do children seriously harm themselves on skateboard, rollerblades, and scooters? When did a child last die from them?

Children have been[b] seriously harmed[/b] on motorcycles, dirt-bikes, and four wheelers. It happens [u]all the time.[/u]

I honestly don't think the two groups of "toys" can be rightly compared.[/quote]

I know of several children who have been hit by cars while skateboarding, rollerblading, and on scooters. Many of these have happened in quiet residential areas where speed limit is 15 and their are children at play signs up all over.

It comes back to kids being instructed on safety and wearing proper equipment, as well as supervision on things such as motorcycles, etc.

cmotherofpirl

I hope they do ban dirt bikes for kids under 12.
However the worst effect of this law means you can no longer by used childrens books toys or clothing. That is a disaster for poorer people, and a crime against their children.