An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kid's Dirtbikes(minibikes) About To Be Completely Banned!?&#33

Jesus_lol

Archaeology cat

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1822682' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:38 PM']Yeah, I think they're taking this a little too much to the extreme (testing sweaters and all natural wooden toys? seriously?). On the other hand, as to the OP, I don't think that this is necessarily a stupid reason. Aside from the dangers of actually riding the bikes, lead poisoning is not something to take lightly. I think that if they KNOW the product contains lead they should be taking measures to make it safer for kids, who are at a higher risk for lead poisoning than adults.[/quote]
Agreed.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1822694' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:48 PM']However the worst effect of this law means you can no longer by used childrens books toys or clothing. That is a disaster for poorer people, and a crime against their children.[/quote]
:yes:

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1822682' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:38 AM']Yeah, I think they're taking this a little too much to the extreme (testing sweaters and all natural wooden toys? seriously?).[/quote]

For the most part, I also think it's a bit extreme. However, when I worked at Borders, a good portion of our Bratz dolls were pulled from the shelves for containing lead. We were weirded out that there's lead in these horrible ugly dolls, but perhaps it was just divine intervention getting them out of the kids' department for all to see...

As for the dirt bikes, I think it's more about teaching your children common sense and how important safety gear is. It seems not much different from letting children learn to ski or snowboard. Safety is so major in all of these sports, and children shouldn't be doing them alone, anyways.

Are we talking Canada or the US?
'cause that will make a difference in my reaction you know.

If we're talking about Quebec for instance, I wouldn't have any reaction at all.

The US is getting to be more like Canada all the time. And I thought the US was supposed to influence us rather than the opposite.
US citizens must be thrilled.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1822673' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:21 AM']How often do children seriously harm themselves on skateboard, rollerblades, and scooters? When did a child last die from them?

Children have been[b] seriously harmed[/b] on motorcycles, dirt-bikes, and four wheelers. It happens [u]all the time.[/u]

I honestly don't think the two groups of "toys" can be rightly compared.[/quote]

seriously? loads of kids get hurt badly riding bikes, skateboards and rollerblades. apart from the fact they can go pretty fast, they are used on hard pavement, are just as high of the ground if not higher than minibikes, they are at huge risk from passing cars.
lots of kids have accidentally swerved onto the street, fallen or otherwise been ran over with those.

minibikes are off road only. adult supervision is needed. even then, there is probably more danger from snowboarding with the speeds and no brakes.

and as i was saying before i got rudely april fooled :D , the lead content in these bikes is almost impossible for a kid to ingest. for one thing, kids don't tend to chew on motorcycles. for another, it isn't in the paint or an easily chippable, chewable part, it is part of the molecular structure of the steel making the bike. i dont even know how you would go about separating that out.

this means adults wont be able to buy them either, and its gonna put a harsh damper on a lot of motorcycle companies, sorta like telling Ford they cant make pickup trucks anymore, this will put the hurt on the companies. for no real reason.