An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Friday, Observed

add

Just an old fashion notion

It wasn’t that long ago those businesses would close or curtail the workday on Good Friday. Once upon a time Schools, Universities, banks, post office, bond and stock market closed on Good Friday?

Remember the Sunday blue laws. :cool!:

Are we as a society better off or less civilized, nowadays?

Edited by apparently

CoffeeCatholic

i have Good Friday off!!! :)

but then again, i work for a Catholic College (at least sometimes... it's Jesuit ;) )

txdinghysailor

[quote name='apparently' post='1830302' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:31 PM']Are we as a society better off or less civilized, nowadays?[/quote]

don't know, don't really care. it doesn't matter to me what society is like. all i care about is getting to heaven and having a good time along the way.

I was thinking about that today. We have it off for school, along with Monday (to allow people to travel to be with families), but official recognition of Good Friday (and Easter) is increasingly rare. It's interesting, because Easter is the most important Christian holiday, but it doesn't warrant the same level of secular recognition that Christmas gets. I wonder how many Christians take their cue from secular society and place a lesser importance on Easter celebrations than Christmas?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1830379' date='Apr 9 2009, 10:03 PM']I wonder how many Christians take their cue from secular society and place a lesser importance on Easter celebrations than Christmas?[/quote]
Many.
Many, Many.
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to explain to my protestant friends that Easter is the more important holiday (vs. Christmas).
I've been told by many that they "don't [i]do[/i] lent". :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

[quote name='Jutty1224' post='1830414' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:39 AM']I believe the stock market is closed on Good Friday.[/quote]
It does close early today, for Good Friday. Not all the bastions of our society have forgotten.
Give thanks and praise

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='apparently' post='1830699' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:58 AM']It does close early today, for Good Friday. Not all the bastions of our society have forgotten.
Give thanks and praise[/quote]

They could use a little penance.

Im taking the day off. Im schooling from home so I can do that whenever I feel like it (though I don't very often)

I have the day off, but I go to a Catholic College... :smokey:
Maybe it's slightly cynical of me, but I feel like as a whole, society is slowly doing worse and worse...
idk. I think it's something to we as a people need to work on.