An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Friday, Observed

add

Everything's closed here except 7/11 and stores like that. And although the trains go less often, they still go.
But everyone at school has it off.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1830379' date='Apr 9 2009, 11:03 PM']I was thinking about that today. We have it off for school, along with Monday (to allow people to travel to be with families), but official recognition of Good Friday (and Easter) is increasingly rare. It's interesting, because Easter is the most important Christian holiday, but it doesn't warrant the same level of secular recognition that Christmas gets. I wonder how many Christians take their cue from secular society and place a lesser importance on Easter celebrations than Christmas?[/quote]
I was talking to the HSsprouts about this the other day.... even they recognized that Easter is the BIGGEST holiday... then we talked about secularization and it was pretty sad after that.

We take all of Holy Week off from school as our Spring Break. In just a few more weeks we are done for the year! :dance: (Makes for a long winter, but oh well....) HSDad takes GF off, too. (Gotta get the taxes done... )

elizabeth09

I have Holy Thursday and today off, because I go to Catholic High School. We also get Easter Monday off as well. But not all school get that day or do they?

Edited by elizabeth09

elizabeth09

My school use to take the week off after Ester off as our Spring Break. But now it is in March this year.

puellapaschalis

In the Netherlands Good Friday is not an official public holiday; however my employer (a university) is closed today (although the main library is open) as are other educational institutions and schools. Many business may have closed early. Normally there is no such thing as an "Easter Holiday" here in the sense that I grew up with in the UK, where schools have two weeks off and my first university had a three week vac.

However, the Netherlands has a couple of religiously-themed public holidays almost surprising in such a secularised country with no "official" established church:
Easter Monday (tweede Paasdag, lit. second Easter-day)
Ascension (Hemelvaart - yes, really!)
Monday immediately after Pentecost (tweede Pinksterdag, lit. second Pentecost-day)

There are other public holidays, of course:
New Years' Day
Koninginnedag (Queen's Day, 31st April)
4th May (Remembrance of the war dead; not an official holiday but many people will take the day off)
5th May (Liberation Day, a statutory holiday)

And so on. But it really tickles me that in the Netherlands, with no real established church, we get days off for [i]Ascension and Pentecost[/i], whereas in the UK, a country which [b]does[/b] have an established church, such a notion would be prepostorous! :lol_roll:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1831054' date='Apr 10 2009, 05:32 PM']I'm hungry. :mellow:[/quote]
I am also hungry. And I have bags of Easter candy up in my room calling to me. :mellow:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1830382' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:07 AM']Many.
Many, Many.
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to explain to my protestant friends that Easter is the more important holiday (vs. Christmas).
I've been told by many that they "don't [i]do[/i] lent". :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:[/quote]
Easter was always the shortest service of the year at the Baptist church I attended. Of course, they never had a service on Christmas Day, and only started doing one on Christmas Eve a few years back.

The Mater Dolorosa

I clean the church....(great job!! :yahoo: ) My son and I were getting the hall ready for the reception tonight for the new candidates. Have more to do today....very busy weekend!!!!!

I remember my senior year in (public) high school, they tried to make Good Friday a snow day (I lived in Fort Worth and we needed four!), so I told them it was against my religion to go to school that day...amazingly they let me take that day off and it cost me nothing!

At my undergraduate we always had classes on Holy Thursday, which made me sad since it was a solidly Catholic school!

CUA gives off Holy Thursday, which is great.

Edited by qfnol31

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1832054' date='Apr 11 2009, 10:24 PM']I was off school on Feria Sexta in Passione and Morte Domini, but I go to a Catholic school.[/quote]

The Latin numbering of the days of the week is just [i]so[/i] cool :)