tinytherese Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 Therese is my confirmation name and I thought that tinytherese fit well with her little way. I'm actually not tiny.
CatherineM Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 Very unimaginatively on my part. When your husband is on wikipedia, and you've written a book, it is hard to even attempt anonymity.
Angel*Star Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 I like angels so I wanted something to do with angels. At coffee one day, my daughter came up with the name. When I typed it in to sign up, it looked blah!, but I liked the name, so I put the star in the middle and voila! An Angel*Star was born.
tinytherese Posted April 29, 2009 Author Posted April 29, 2009 [quote name='Christie_M' post='1852018' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:16 AM']I have no imagination.[/quote] Yet you have that amusing avatar.
unloud Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 (edited) My username has a little bit of a story behind it... Only a few years ago, I was at the darkest part of my life, with drug addiction, sexual promiscuity, homosexuality, and an abusive relationship of three years; and at the heart of all of it was my struggle to listen to God. I would take anything in my life and use it as a distraction because it was easier for me to deal with the consequences of ignoring God than to deal with the shame that I've ignored His deliberate call. I can definitively tell you that my life changed in the early morning hours of June 25, 2007... when I could not take the noise and the pain anymore and went for a walk around the arroyo behind my apartment complex. At 3 AM in the morning, the city was still and the quiet reverberated in me... I walked for ages in that darkness... and in that silence, pain, anxiety, and longing I heard in my heart a Voice that wasn't my own asking me [i]"Is this the life you have to live, or the life you choose to live?"[/i]... that night I broke down every part of me and gave it up to Him, even the parts that I held close to me my whole life... and my world has never been the same. :-) It was a while later before I changed my username online... I had another one that I had used before and the main reason why I changed it was because of the story of Jacob's wrestle with the angel in Genesis in which the angel renamed him Israel. My name is Jacob as well (and most appropriately named I might add!)... It seemed like a calling for me to make a clean break from my old online name and my bad online habits, and in my new user name be constantly reminded of my desire that all of my actions work to remove the noise of the world around me and focus only on God's voice and direction. (sorry for being so long-winded) Edited April 29, 2009 by unloud
tinytherese Posted April 29, 2009 Author Posted April 29, 2009 [quote name='unloud' post='1852035' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:37 AM'](sorry for being so long-winded)[/quote] There's nothing to apologize for. It's a good story.
CatherineM Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 [quote name='tinytherese' post='1852039' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:44 AM']There's nothing to apologize for. It's a good story. [/quote] Ditto from me. Just stay on the El Paso side of the Rio. It's nasty in Juarez right now. I probably don't have to tell you that though.
unloud Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 (edited) [quote name='CatherineM' post='1852043' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:51 AM']Ditto from me. Just stay on the El Paso side of the Rio. It's nasty in Juarez right now. I probably don't have to tell you that though.[/quote] Yup. I definitely know. It's not as bad as the media portrays it, but it's bad enough. Edited April 29, 2009 by unloud
Archaeology cat Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 Um, I like archaeology (at least I hope I do, since I was a field archaeologist and have my degrees in archaeology & Egyptology), and I like cats (have 2 of them).
unloud Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1852057' date='Apr 29 2009, 02:06 AM']Um, I like archaeology (at least I hope I do, since I was a field archaeologist and have my degrees in archaeology & Egyptology), and I like cats (have 2 of them). [/quote] What I think of when I hear "archaeology cat": [url="http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16467444.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B6EE1D032-B029-48CD-9399-B96299FB939F%7D"]http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16467444.j...B96299FB939F%7D[/url] Edited April 29, 2009 by unloud
tinytherese Posted April 29, 2009 Author Posted April 29, 2009 [quote name='unloud' post='1852058' date='Apr 29 2009, 03:09 AM']What I think of when I hear "archaeology cat": [url="http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16467444.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B6EE1D032-B029-48CD-9399-B96299FB939F%7D"]http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16467444.j...B96299FB939F%7D[/url][/quote]
abercius24 Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 (edited) I took the name of Bishop St. Abercius, the 3rd Century Early Church Father and author of the Epitaph of Abercius. On his epitaph he asked all who pass by to pray for him -- a very Catholic thing to do! The epitaph is also very Eucharistic and Marian in its poetry. The "24" came about because 1 - 23 were taken up on AOL, which is where I started my jouney in cybervangelism 11 years ago -- with my buddy Apotheoun, no doubt! For those interested, here is the inscription on St. Abercius' Epitaph: [quote name='Epitaph of Abercius -- from The Catholic Encyclopedia']"The citizen of a chosen city, this [monument] I made [while] living, that there I might have in time a resting-place of my body, [I] being by name Abercius, the disciple of a holy shepherd who feeds flocks of sheep [both] on mountains and on plains, who has great eyes that see everywhere. For this [shepherd] taught me [that the] book [of life] is worthy of belief. And to Rome he sent me to contemplate majesty, and to see a queen golden-robed and golden-sandalled; there also I saw a people bearing a shining mark. And I saw the land of Syria and all [its] cities Nisibis [I saw] when I passed over Euphrates. But everywhere I had brethren. I had Paul. . . . Faith everywhere led me forward, and everywhere provided as my food a fish of exceeding great size, and perfect, which a holy virgin drew with her hands from a fountain and this it [faith] ever gives to its friends to eat, it having wine of great virtue, and giving it mingled with bread. These things I, Abercius, having been a witness [of them] told to be written here. Verily I was passing through my seventy-second year. He that discerneth these things, every fellow-believer [namely], let him pray for Abercius. And no one shall put another grave over my grave; but if he do, then shall he pay to the treasury of [the] Romans two thousand pieces of gold and to my good native city of Hieropolis one thousand pieces of gold."[/quote] Edited April 29, 2009 by abercius24
the lords sheep Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 Because the Lord is my shepherd and I am His sheep. There's something you should know about sheep, though. Left to their own accord, they're hopeless. They're not very bright; they will literally eat themselves off a cliff if there is no one to stop them and that's where the grass leads them. They get also get lost very easily. But when they recognize their shepherd (which sometimes takes a while) they run after him and they follow him. This is basically how I am in my faith life: left to my own, I'm a mess and I don't make the best decisions. But when He finds me, I try to follow Him as best as I can- eventually I still need him to find me again, though...
Apotheoun Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 [quote name='abercius24' post='1852072' date='Apr 29 2009, 02:50 AM']I took the name of Bishop St. Abercius, the 3rd Century Early Church Father and author of the Epitaph of Abercius. On his epitaph he asked all who pass by to pray for him -- a very Catholic thing to do! The epitaph is also very Eucharistic and Marian in its poetry. The "24" came about because 1 - 23 were taken up on AOL, which is where I started my jouney in cybervangelism 11 years ago -- with my buddy Apotheoun, no doubt![/quote] Ah yes, ancient times! But of course in 1998 I used the AOL screen name PseudoDionysios. I only started using the name Apotheoun on AOL in 2001.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now