An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Many Catholics Actually Believe Like We Do?

southern california guy

[quote name='Socrates' post='1860185' date='May 6 2009, 09:31 PM']Yes they are, as are all the Church's teachings regarding morals.[/quote]

Cool. Would the teaching havoc brought up be found in the catacism. (im to lazy to find out how to spell it if i spelled it wrong)

Bubblicious

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1860191' date='May 6 2009, 10:35 PM']Cool. Would the teaching havoc brought up be found in the catacism. (im to lazy to find out how to spell it if i spelled it wrong)[/quote]

Start at Article Six, The Sixth Commandment. . . page 560 of the green catechism.

For direct reference to masturbation see 2352.

Edited by Bubblicious

[quote name='Bubblicious' post='1860235' date='May 6 2009, 11:03 PM']Start at Article Six, The Sixth Commandment. . . page 560 of the green catechism.

For direct reference to masturbation see 2352.[/quote]

cool thank you.

[quote name='Bubblicious' post='1860255' date='May 6 2009, 11:15 PM']Our pleasure. Glad to see you're still around.[/quote]

i'm not going nowhere lol

southern california guy

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1859532' date='May 6 2009, 09:06 AM']I had to laugh at the thought of the NCSC as "rebellious"!

BTW, Anastasia's last name is Northrup.[/quote]

Maybe I should have qualified that.

They called the event the "National Catholic Singles Conference". They didn't call it the "National Catholic Young Adults Conference" or the "National Catholic Alumni Club Conference". I've noticed that the Catholic hierarchy avoids the word "singles". Have you ever tried suggesting a "singles" ministry or event to a priest? Or have you ever tried to post a calendar of local Catholic Singles events on a bulletin board at the local Catholic church? I have and let's just say the reaction was NOT positive.

It almost seems that the Catholic church has become the religion of the "underdogs" -- homosexuals, divorcees, , illegal immigrant "rights", "Social Justice". The Catholic church up in Logan Utah (Supposedly a very "conservative" state) had both a "Gay and Lesbian" and a "Divorced" support group. That was the church where I tried to post the "Utah Catholic Singles Club" calendar...

Another thing about the "National Catholic Singles Conference" is that it wasn't age segregated. Now that wasn't such a big deal in the Catholic church in other areas I've lived, but it's become a big deal down here. It seems that the "Young Adults" have replaced the "Catholic Alumni Club". My parents met at the Catholic Alumni Club, down here in San Diego. But I don't think that there is one anymore.

It's not easy to put together an event like a singles conference. There are a lot of details, and it takes time and resources. Not only that, you probably will run into friction from the Catholic church. Of course there are ways of dealing with that friction. I initiated and helped push through a "Life Chain" in Davis Ca. But people at every church I visited told me it was impossible. However the way you do it is by finding people in every church or group -- who support the idea. You get together with them, and then as a group you start plugging the idea. It's interesting, right at first few people will want to get involved, but once you get a little group growing it seems to gain momentum and pretty soon you find that you have a lot of people who want to get involved. In Davis we got over one thousand. It's generally at this point when the Pastors and Priests start becoming receptive.

I imagine that this is the sort of thing Anastasia experienced with the first conference in Colorado. And that was something like three or four years ago (I can't remember the exact details). These haven't been around long.

Dave Sloane's "Singles Serving Orphans" has only been around a little over a year. He said that the Catholic hierarchy were not supportive of ANY singles event he suggested -- until he tried combining a charitable event with a "singles" one. He says now even some priests have expressed interest in joining the group to go down to Mexico to work on the orphanage.

A lot that is taken for granted wasn't always approved of at the beginning. In fact I think that they may still be holding "Life Chains" each year in Davis. But I don't know that for sure. A realtor, named Royce Dunn, up in Yuba City north of Sacramento California is the guy who started the whole thing.

[quote name='southern california guy' post='1861236' date='May 7 2009, 09:06 PM']Maybe I should have qualified that.

They called the event the "National Catholic Singles Conference". They didn't call it the "National Catholic Young Adults Conference" or the "National Catholic Alumni Club Conference". I've noticed that the Catholic hierarchy avoids the word "singles". Have you ever tried suggesting a "singles" ministry or event to a priest? Or have you ever tried to post a calendar of local Catholic Singles events on a bulletin board at the local Catholic church? I have and let's just say the reaction was NOT positive.

It almost seems that the Catholic church has become the religion of the "underdogs" -- homosexuals, divorcees, , illegal immigrant "rights", "Social Justice". The Catholic church up in Logan Utah (Supposedly a very "conservative" state) had both a "Gay and Lesbian" and a "Divorced" support group. That was the church where I tried to post the "Utah Catholic Singles Club" calendar...[/quote]
If you want to know what the Catholic Church really teaches concerning "Gay and Lesbian Groups" go here: CDF Document [url="http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_df86ho.htm"]On the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons[/url] by Cardinal Ratzinger (now the Pope)
[quote]14. [b]With this in mind, this Congregation wishes to ask the Bishops to be especially cautious of any programmes which may seek to pressure the Church to change her teaching, even while claiming not to do so. A careful examination of their public statements and the activities they promote reveals a studied ambiguity by which they attempt to mislead the pastors and the faithful. For example, they may present the teaching of the Magisterium, but only as if it were an optional source for the formation of one's conscience. Its specific authority is not recognized. Some of these groups will use the word "Catholic" to describe either the organization or its intended members, yet they do not defend and promote the teaching of the Magisterium; indeed, they even openly attack it. While their members may claim a desire to conform their lives to the teaching of Jesus, in fact they abandon the teaching of his Church. This contradictory action should not have the support of the Bishops in any way.[/b]

We encourage the Bishops, then, to provide pastoral care in full accord with the teaching of the Church for homosexual persons of their dioceses.[b] No authentic pastoral programme will include organizations in which homosexual persons associate with each other without clearly stating that homosexual activity is immoral.[/b] A truly pastoral approach will appreciate the need for homosexual persons to avoid the near occasions of sin.

We would heartily encourage programmes where these dangers are avoided.[b] But we wish to make it clear that departure from the Church's teaching, or silence about it, in an effort to provide pastoral care is neither caring nor pastoral. Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral.[/b] The neglect of the Church's position prevents homosexual men and women from receiving the care they need and deserve.[/quote]

"Catholic" groups which promote homosexuality are [b]not [/b]truly Catholic and have been explicitly condemned by the Church.

Bishops and priests who promote them are acting in direct defiance of Rome.

Edited by Socrates

dairygirl4u2c

i remember hearing some stats. 10% of catholics follow the no contraception rule. and only a third believe in the real prescence. so least common denominator, 10%. how many of them have faults that cause them to not count? hard to say. probably most if they are willing to follow those rules, follow other rules. so it's at least a good 5-10% and i'd say prob approaching 10

Paladin D

With the alarming numbers, it kind of makes you wonder if practically all of us are going to hell. :unsure:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1861595' date='May 8 2009, 12:29 AM']With the alarming numbers, it kind of makes you wonder if practically all of us are going to hell. :unsure:[/quote]
Ach! Don't say that. :blink: (Please.)

AdAltareDei

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1859543' date='May 6 2009, 10:29 AM']Personally, i find your generalization about EF and OF Mass goers to be a little naive. ;) Are not EF Mass goers just as capable of/prone to/(fill in your verb) pride and dissent as those who prefer the ordinary prayers of the Church?[/quote]

Yeah, we all suffer from the affects of original sin. But the reality is that a lot of the people at the EF Mass ended up there because they were fed up with the liberalism thats found in many territorial parishes and because they believe the EF Mass is a more comprehensive expression of the entire Catholic faith (including some doctrines liberals would rather forget). I haven't met many "traditional" Catholics who go to the EF Mass just because they like latin or incense.

Where it's available, it has an almost magnet like affect in attracting orthodox catholics who are fed up with pseudo-catholicism. So, if Resurrexi attends a TLM, then chances are most of them were already more predisposed to traditional catholic doctrine than their Novus Ordo counterparts.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1861388' date='May 7 2009, 11:04 PM']i remember hearing some stats. 10% of catholics follow the no contraception rule. and only a third believe in the real prescence. so least common denominator, 10%. how many of them have faults that cause them to not count? hard to say. probably most if they are willing to follow those rules, follow other rules. so it's at least a good 5-10% and i'd say prob approaching 10[/quote]

and with that said, assuming these numbers are accurate. that's prob assuming 'catholic' means anyone so baptized. i heard a quarter of christians (or americans? don't remember) are catholic. obviously many don't count.

so hypothetically, if half of them don't count then the percentage of catholics who are good is probably higher, who actually go to church etc. so maybe 20% or more.

and if they go to church every week i bet it's closer to fifty percent? that seems more reconcilable with my sense of people going either way in terms of being good catholics. thinking about it though, if you include those ignorant of it all, it's probably less some, cause i doubt most have a clue about most of it all.

more stats would be interesting.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

southern california guy

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1861844' date='May 8 2009, 12:06 PM']and with that said, assuming these numbers are accurate. that's prob assuming 'catholic' means anyone so baptized. i heard a quarter of christians (or americans? don't remember) are catholic. obviously many don't count.[/quote]

If they're not "good" Catholic's than they don't count?? <_<

havok579257

[quote name='southern california guy' post='1864241' date='May 11 2009, 02:24 PM']If they're not "good" Catholic's than they don't count?? <_<[/quote]

exactly

Yeah, who is a good catholic? Someone who fails at trying to be a catholic? Then none of us are good catholics.