eagle_eye222001 Posted May 5, 2009 Posted May 5, 2009 [quote name='Moosey' post='1858492' date='May 5 2009, 01:04 PM'] I've never had an official boyfriend and Im 20. Im in no rush. I don't really make myself available to most people as a prospect. I kind of hide. I really don't intend to sometimes, I'm just really shy when it comes to giving my heart to someone. I get nauseous when my heart gets broken.[/quote] My parents don't want any of their children dating until college at the earliest. It's not been a big deal for me as when I was in high school I never really had a situation where I wanted to ask a girl out. I have a sibling though in high school and she's going through a rough time because she see's all these 15-17 year olds dating and while she does see our parent's wisdom, it's still tough nonetheless. [quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1858531' date='May 5 2009, 01:28 PM']We have a winner!!! I had a "girlfriend" when I was 15, terrible terrible idea. No idea of the complexities or emotions involved and she ended up getting hurt, and I felt like a dirtbag (really it was mutual, but she was more emotional than me so I felt I was in the wrong). Even at 19, when I had my next girlfriend I probably wasn't really ready, though it did go better... I'm 24 now, and have had 3 total (they were all psycho btw)[/quote] Glad to see someone agreeing that dating early wasn't a good idea. [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1858717' date='May 5 2009, 05:23 PM']BTW I bought her flowers and gave them to her this morning. She's not as upset now [/quote] Yeah but your not completely off the hook yet I bet. Flowers are a short term solution. ---------------- Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/harry+gregson-williams/track/a+narnia+lullaby"]Harry Gregson-Williams - A Narnia Lullaby[/url] via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]
rose wrought of iron Posted May 5, 2009 Posted May 5, 2009 Well, my parents set the rule that i couldn't date until I was 16, but by that time I guess I had matured enough to see that there was really no point to it. I've only had one "boyfriend" but it was pretty casual so I wasn't really hurt that badly when he ended it. In fact, it seemed to strengthen my belief that I don't need a boyfriend to be happy and that, unless you're willing to be serious about it, it's really not that important. just my 2 cents.
txdinghysailor Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 No clue what relationship troubles are... First girlfriend i had dumped me without warning. Second I dumped her without warning. Third isn't going to be the dumper/dumpee, we've never had a serious argument in roughly 3 years, and we communicate super well so we're not likely to get into a serious fight.
Moosey Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 Serious fights are okay to have. Just because a couple has a few serious fights doesn't mean they're doing something wrong and they shouldn't be together. My family voices their problems pretty outwardly to each other and it works pretty well for us. Some people aren't like that I understand but I think it's poor logic to say that a perfect relationship involves no serious arguments.
Resurrexi Posted May 6, 2009 Author Posted May 6, 2009 I think I might, for various reasons, be breaking up with her.
Moosey Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 *stifles laugh* Okay that isn't funny. Sorry Are you alright Resurrexi? I hope this isn't gonna be too much of a blow for you.
missionseeker Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 (edited) [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1859091' date='May 5 2009, 09:17 PM']so much for the flowers. [/quote] [size=1]that was my thought. I just wasn't sure if it was too far... [/size] Edited May 6, 2009 by missionseeker
tinytherese Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 Despite the times of loneliness and wishing that I had a boyfriend, I'm glad that I didn't have one in high school. I wouldn't have been mature enough and I don't think that I got that maturity until a rather short time ago and I'm 20. It's rare that people end up marrying their high school sweetheart anyway.
Jaime Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 [quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1858922' date='May 5 2009, 08:19 PM']No clue what relationship troubles are... First girlfriend i had dumped me without warning. Second I dumped her without warning. Third isn't going to be the dumper/dumpee, we've never had a serious argument in roughly 3 years, and we communicate super well so we're not likely to get into a serious fight.[/quote] It helps dating coma patients
rose wrought of iron Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 [quote name='hot stuff' post='1859187' date='May 5 2009, 11:04 PM']It helps dating coma patients[/quote] Oh wow... That was amazing...
Resurrexi Posted May 6, 2009 Author Posted May 6, 2009 [quote name='Moosey' post='1859099' date='May 5 2009, 10:21 PM']*stifles laugh* Okay that isn't funny. Sorry Are you alright Resurrexi? I hope this isn't gonna be too much of a blow for you.[/quote] No. But what am I supposed to do? She left after school before I could see her, she wouldn't tell me what was wrong tonight, and she didn't respond "I love you" back. I might as well end it tomorrow.
rose wrought of iron Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 I don't know if this belongs on this thread, but sometimes i feel like the phrase "I love you" is one of the most abused in the world. Sorry.... I rarely ever say it. I try to only use it when I mean it. And I think that too many people use that phrase without truly grasping what it means. Not just "I have strong feelings for you" but "I'm willing to do whatever is best for you even at the expense of myself." I really don't know your situation, and I have no way of knowing what is in you heart, so I'm not really saying anything against you. That's just my opinion.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 I want to comment on this whole thing. I was going to earlier, but then decided I was dumb and stopped, but now I want to elaborate on what I wanted to get at. Res, at our age, I absolutely agree that we're not even close to being ready for marriage. You and I are both immature and we know it. So is everybody else around our age. If this was, say, seven years down the road, and you were married or wanted to marry this girl, this would be the time that you put your face down on that grindstone and do everything you can to fix it. That takes giant maturity from both parties, which probably neither of you (and me, and anybody I know) have. At our age, and under our circumstances, I tend to think that it's best to chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. When it gets past a certain point, of course. Besides that, if it's actually meant to be, then just get back together in a couple years. No reason you can't. A friendly break up is a billion times better than an antagonistic one. That's something I learned. So yea... I'm rambling... but guys like us are supposed to be learning now. Not chaining ourselves down and pretending that we've got everything that adults do already. We're still developing, and that's fine. We can't be expected to be that mature yet. We do our best, that's all we can do.
missionseeker Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1859226' date='May 5 2009, 10:32 PM']No. But what am I supposed to do? She left after school before I could see her, she wouldn't tell me what was wrong tonight, and she didn't respond "I love you" back. I might as well end it tomorrow.[/quote] aww. It'll be ok, S'mores. It'll be maybe, but will be ok. [quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1859233' date='May 5 2009, 10:36 PM']I don't know if this belongs on this thread, but sometimes i feel like the phrase "I love you" is one of the most abused in the world. Sorry.... I rarely ever say it. I try to only use it when I mean it. And I think that too many people use that phrase without truly grasping what it means. Not just "I have strong feelings for you" but "I'm willing to do whatever is best for you even at the expense of myself." I really don't know your situation, and I have no way of knowing what is in you heart, so I'm not really saying anything against you. That's just my opinion.[/quote] I would agree that it's the most overused misunderstood phrase in the world. I think that it becomes a word and not an act. Have you ever seen "My Fair Lady" where she starts singing "Words! Words! I'm so sick of words! I get words all day through;First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do? Don't talk of stars Burning above; If you're in love, Show me!"? I think that's kinda true. Not that it's bad to tell someone that you love them. But they shouldn't be hollow words. You can tell someone you love them over and over but if you don't act, then.. what does that say? In the same manner, you can rarely say it to someone and yet always find the littlest ways to constantly show them that you do love them. Just TINY things. But they make much more of an impact than simply (only) saying them. (Not that I'm against saying it often) Love is kind of like faith. It's not just a word. It's an act.
rose wrought of iron Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 [quote name='missionseeker' post='1859262' date='May 5 2009, 11:53 PM']I would agree that it's the most overused misunderstood phrase in the world. I think that it becomes a word and not an act. Have you ever seen "My Fair Lady" where she starts singing "Words! Words! I'm so sick of words! I get words all day through;First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do? Don't talk of stars Burning above; If you're in love, Show me!"? I think that's kinda true. Not that it's bad to tell someone that you love them. But they shouldn't be hollow words. You can tell someone you love them over and over but if you don't act, then.. what does that say? In the same manner, you can rarely say it to someone and yet always find the littlest ways to constantly show them that you do love them. Just TINY things. But they make much more of an impact than simply (only) saying them. (Not that I'm against saying it often) Love is kind of like faith. It's not just a word. It's an act.[/quote] Exactly. I try not to say it unless I'm going to back it up. And that's basically what I look for. Oh man, I My Fair Lady!
Nihil Obstat Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 Depends what 'love' means to you. I wish we had lots of distinguishing words like the Greeks. People are so uptight about 'love', but we shouldn't have to qualify it so often. I think it's underused. Definitely abused in teenage relationships, but underused nonetheless. We should be able to tell somebody (anybody) that we love them, and mean it. Semantics though. They frustrate me. Such is life.
missionseeker Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 I actually say it a lot. Which is kinda funny considering something...
Nihil Obstat Posted May 6, 2009 Posted May 6, 2009 [quote name='missionseeker' post='1859286' date='May 5 2009, 11:04 PM']I actually say it a lot. Which is kinda funny considering something... [/quote] Considering you don't love anybody?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now