An Old School Catholic Message Board

Diff. In The Dominican Communities

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

So, this question has been popping up a lot... what exactly [i]is[/i] the difference between these two wonderful and active Dominican communities? I asked my s/d this question, and he laughed, saying he didn't exactly know. Now, I know the apostolate's are slightly different and obviously the location. But are there any other differences? Differences in how they live their lives? Policies they have? Etc etc.

((Sorry if this was asked elsewhere))

TotusTuusMaria

The school size is much smaller for the Ann Arbor sisters and they look at that a bit differently then the Nashville.

The Nashville Dominicans are a bit more strict on visits and a nun returning home for certain events then I believe the Ann Arbors are.

dominicansoul

their charisms are slightly different.

Ann Arbor Dominicans consecrate themselves as a community to Jesus through Mary using the De Montfort formula.

Ann Arbor Dominicans are open to all forms of evangelization not only teaching.

Ann Arbor Dominicans spend an hour in adoration together as a community.

Ann Arbor Dominicans are more diverse, as they don't really have a "mold" that young ladies need to shape and shift and change into. While I was in Nashville, I felt I had to become some type of southern belle. I'm not a southern belle. In Ann Arbor, I felt I could breathe and be more of myself. I felt the Ann Arbor community uses the differences and the uniqueness of each individual to form her into that consecrated relationship with Jesus. And all our differences came together to form a very special family.

Ann Arbor Dominicans are limiting their community to only 100 members, and are already looking toward the future. After 100 is met, a WHOLE NEW MOTHERHOUSE and a WHOLE NEW COMMUNITY will be formed in Buda, TX. This is unheard of in Nashville. All other convents in the Nashville branches are only mission convents, not totally new communities.

Nashville is a well-established community, who's future endeavors include a convent in Australia and convents in diocese across the country. But they are happy with the home-base continuing to be Nashville. Ann Arbor was created to spread convents (formation houses, motherhouses) and create new communities across the country, with the hope that everywhere more and more Catholics would be able to witness the true form of Consecrated Life as envisioned by St. Dominic.

So, there is quite a difference in their charisms. Different means, but the same end: spreading the Gospel and being "lights in the darkness."

Edited by dominicansoul

AbsconditaInDeo

Ann Arbor has a daily Eucharistic holy hour and I don't think Nashville does. Also, I've heard that Ann Arbor is a little more charasmatic than Nashville and although they're both musical, I think Nashville is a bit more so than Ann Arbor. Also, the Dominican Sisters in Ann Arbor consecrate themselves to Mary (using the St. Louis de Monfort formula) every year and I'm not sure if Nashville does that.

Their veils are also a little different and the Sisters in Ann Arbor also wear a medal and the Nashville Dominicans don't. ^_^

AbsconditaInDeo

DominicanSoul, I basically said the same thing as you but we posted at almost the same time. Sorry for the repeat :topsy:

dominicansoul

that's okay! :)

And Nashville does not consecrate themselves to Jesus through Mary as a community. They can do it individually, but it isn't written in their constitutions to do so together as a community. IN Ann Arbor it is. IT's actually a very important aspect of the Ann Arbor Community to be consecrated in this way.

I would disagree with you about the musical aspect of each community. I think Ann Arbor is more musical, in that every Sister is professionally trained to sing her part in the choir. I entered not knowing how to sing, and came out of there singing like a bird! It was a miracle. In Nashville, it seems only an exclusive group of Sisters make up their Schola. In Ann Arbor, there really is no schola, as every member is expected to learn and sing her part.

Edited by dominicansoul

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1865374' date='May 12 2009, 04:01 PM']that's okay! :)

And Nashville does not consecrate themselves to Jesus through Mary as a community. They can do it individually, but it isn't written in their constitutions to do so together as a community. IN Ann Arbor it is. IT's actually a very important aspect of the Ann Arbor Community to be consecrated in this way.

I would disagree with you about the musical aspect of each community. I think Ann Arbor is more musical, in that every Sister is professionally trained to sing her part in the choir. I entered not knowing how to sing, and came out of there singing like a bird! It was a miracle. In Nashville, it seems only an exclusive group of Sisters make up their Schola. In Ann Arbor, there really is no schola, as every member is expected to learn and sing her part.[/quote]

Please excuse my mistake! :saint: I didn't know that, but I think we can both agree that they both sing gloriously! :)

dominicansoul

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1865382' date='May 12 2009, 02:14 PM']Please excuse my mistake! :saint: I didn't know that, but I think we can both agree that they both sing gloriously! :)[/quote]

:yes:

Both communities have a gift ... their voices are like angels

Maria Faustina

Haha yay! A new thread on this! Lol got a tiny bit of a bias there, dominicansoul? :lol_roll: haha im just kidding! both communities are absolutely beautiful. I'm leaning a lot more toward Nashville, however. But, if that does not work out, Ann Arbor would be my second choice. But there will always be a special place in my heart for the Saint Cecilia Dominicans :love: !!!!!

Ohh...and if you haven't heard the Nashville Dominicans sing Cantantibus Organis...you need to hear it!!! It is probably the most beautiful music I have ever heard!!!!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJe6G6XVZw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJe6G6XVZw...feature=related[/url]

Edited by Maria Faustina

dominicansoul

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1865493' date='May 12 2009, 04:40 PM']Haha yay! A new thread on this! Lol got a tiny bit of a bias there, dominicansoul? :lol_roll: haha im just kidding! both communities are absolutely beautiful. I'm leaning a lot more toward Nashville, however. But, if that does not work out, Ann Arbor would be my second choice. But there will always be a special place in my heart for the Saint Cecilia Dominicans :love: !!!!!

Ohh...and if you haven't heard the Nashville Dominicans sing Cantantibus Organis...you need to hear it!!! It is probably the most beautiful music I have ever heard!!!!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJe6G6XVZw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJe6G6XVZw...feature=related[/url][/quote]

:lol_roll: yeah, i knew you would see my bias. :lol: they are definitely beautiful communities. Any young lady called to either one is blessed!

[url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/video_choose.php?id=22"]http://www.sistersofmary.org/video_choose.php?id=22[/url]

This will get you to click on a link to hear the Ann Arbor Doms singing their prayer for vocations.

enjoy!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1865355' date='May 12 2009, 03:48 PM']their charisms are slightly different.

Ann Arbor Dominicans consecrate themselves as a community to Jesus through Mary using the De Montfort formula.

Ann Arbor Dominicans are open to all forms of evangelization not only teaching.

Ann Arbor Dominicans spend an hour in adoration together as a community.

Ann Arbor Dominicans are more diverse, as they don't really have a "mold" that young ladies need to shape and shift and change into. While I was in Nashville, I felt I had to become some type of southern belle. I'm not a southern belle. In Ann Arbor, I felt I could breathe and be more of myself. I felt the Ann Arbor community uses the differences and the uniqueness of each individual to form her into that consecrated relationship with Jesus. And all our differences came together to form a very special family.

Ann Arbor Dominicans are limiting their community to only 100 members, and are already looking toward the future. After 100 is met, a WHOLE NEW MOTHERHOUSE and a WHOLE NEW COMMUNITY will be formed in Buda, TX. This is unheard of in Nashville. All other convents in the Nashville branches are only mission convents, not totally new communities.

Nashville is a well-established community, who's future endeavors include a convent in Australia and convents in diocese across the country. But they are happy with the home-base continuing to be Nashville. Ann Arbor was created to spread convents (formation houses, motherhouses) and create new communities across the country, with the hope that everywhere more and more Catholics would be able to witness the true form of Consecrated Life as envisioned by St. Dominic.

So, there is quite a difference in their charisms. Different means, but the same end: spreading the Gospel and being "lights in the darkness."[/quote]

Awesome-- that helps bring out some of the differences. A few follow-up questions (since you seem to know both communities fairly well):

In Ann Arbor, do all of the Sisters get their Masters in Education, or do some of them further their education in other fields? Do all further their education?

How many Sisters does Ann Arbor have currently? 'Cause it seems like that 100 mark might be quite soon.

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1865622' date='May 12 2009, 08:17 PM']Awesome-- that helps bring out some of the differences. A few follow-up questions (since you seem to know both communities fairly well):

In Ann Arbor, do all of the Sisters get their Masters in Education, or do some of them further their education in other fields? Do all further their education?

How many Sisters does Ann Arbor have currently? 'Cause it seems like that 100 mark might be quite soon.[/quote]

I don't know much about either of the communities, but I find myself looking at the websites and at their pictures and videos. They are such beautiful bride's of Christ!

On the Ann Arbor website, under the "Meet Our Sisters" it says "over 80 sisters." I think that was also there last year, i'm sure it is probably a lot more now.

dominicansoul

yes, it's about 80. I won't be surprised if this next group coming in August will top it close to the 100 member mark. This is why they are already planning on beginning a new community, where the limit will be 100, too. That's another difference. Ann Arbor tries to keep the communities small. This way every Sister gets to know each one of her sisters personally. That isn't easy when you have 200 + that you might never see for months and years.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1865530' date='May 12 2009, 07:19 PM']:lol_roll: yeah, i knew you would see my bias. :lol: they are definitely beautiful communities. Any young lady called to either one is blessed!

[url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/video_choose.php?id=22"]http://www.sistersofmary.org/video_choose.php?id=22[/url]

This will get you to click on a link to hear the Ann Arbor Doms singing their prayer for vocations.

enjoy![/quote]

I gotta admit, that is some beautiful singing :)

tinytherese

I'll be doing a vocation retreat to Ann Arbor towards the end of this month! :cool:

I like the idea of the closeness of their community. I'm finishing up my time at my current two year women's college that's really tiny. 311 total students and we live in suites. I live with 9 other girls.