An Old School Catholic Message Board

Death Penalty

MC Just

I was at my sisters protestant church, a while back and their Pastor was saying he's pro-life and and believe's abortion is wrong, but he supports the death penalty saying: "Putting crimals to death is a authority given to the Government by God" It's supported by Scripture" So he says.

What are your takes on this people?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I know the Catholic Church is against the death penalty, but it doesn't outlaw it in extreme cases. This being said, is it right to support a total BAN of corporal punishment in the US?

IcePrincessKRS

In cases where its necessary the death penalty is allowable, so I'm not completely against it (for example I would support the DP for serial killers).

A TOTAL BAN on all corporal punishment is not practical at all. That would give license for even more crime, I think. If you aren't going to be punished for your offenses then why not wreak havoc?

the way i see it death penalty is a way of living eye for an eye. like a guy murders people. so to teach him not to we murder him. i see no sense in that.

I understand having the DP IF AND ONLY IF the legal system is 100% safe and fair. However, it can NEVER be 100% because it is the human. Plus human life is sacred from brith to natrual death. We should hate the sin and love the person.

Capitol punishment has been abolished here in Canada. Its good, but then again the penalty for murder is life(25 yrs), and at 20 years, the murderer can apply for parole. Its a joke. I dont support the death penalty, and I am pleased that is has been abolished here at home, but I think our legal system needs to be a little more harsh on the ones that cause much unneed conflict.

Peace yall

mom25angels

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Mar 26 2004, 08:17 PM'] I understand having the DP IF AND ONLY IF the legal system is 100% safe and fair. However, it can NEVER be 100% because it is the human. Plus human life is sacred from brith to natrual death. We should hate the sin and love the person. [/quote]
This is right on. Also if there is NO OTHER WAY to punish a criminal then DP would be acceptable. In our country in our time this does NOT apply. We have the resources to imprison criminals for the rest of their lives and therefore we have no moral right to execute.

Sarah

Livin_the_MASS

"Defend the right to life from conception to natural death" JPII.

The pastor is wrong. Life is a gift, left for God to take when He says it's time.

The Death Penalty is wrong. "Let the one without sin cast the first stone."

In the Love of Christ
Jason

"corporal punishment" is spanking.

The Church teaches that Governments have a right to use capital punishment when necessary. When

In today's day and age, it is not necessary to kill most people.
[list]
[*]It's cheaper to lock them up for life instead of kill them
[*]They have a chance to repent and be saved for Christ if they live
[*]Today's prisons are top notch, we can protect society by locking them up.
[/list]

[b]Political Responsibility [/b]
p. 16.
"The Church's commitment to the value and dignity of human life leads us to oppose the use of the death penalty. We believe that a return to the use of the death penalty is further eroding respect for life in our society. We do not question society's right to protect itself, but we believe that there are better approaches to protecting our people from violent crimes. The application of the death penalty has been discriminatory toward the poor, the indigent, and racial minorities. Our society should reject the death penalty and seek methods of dealing with violent crime that are more consistent with the gospel visions of respect for life and Christ's message of healing love. This principle is set forth in the new Catechism of the Catholic Church

[b]Catechism of the Catholic Church [/b]
[b]2266[/b]
"Preserving the common good of society requires rendering the aggressor unable to inflict harm. For this reason the traditional teaching of the Church has acknowledged as well-founded [b][u]the right and duty of legitimate public authority to punish malefactors by means of penalties commensurate with the gravity of the crime, not excluding, in cases of extreme gravity, the death penalty.[/u][/b] For analogous reasons those holding authority have the right to repel by armed force aggressors against the community in their charge."

[b]2267[/b]
"[u][b]If bloodless means are sufficient to defend human lives against an aggressor and to protect public order and the safety of persons, public authority should limit itself to such means, because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person[/b][/u]."

popestpiusx

I support the death penalty 100%. But it must be used properly, in keeping with the traditional teachings of the Catholic Church.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 27 2004, 12:20 AM'] I fully support the death penalty [/quote]
i'm fully against it.

that's just me, not worth arguing about.