An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children Being Blessed At Communion Time

princessgianna

princessgianna

So why is that a big deal? :idontknow:
I (personally) find it to be a sweet gesture however I have done no background study.

And how is that abuse?

Thanks
Gina

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1868827' date='May 16 2009, 04:30 PM']So why is that a big deal? :idontknow:
I (personally) find it to be a sweet gesture however I have done no background study.

And how is that abuse?

Thanks
Gina[/quote]
Only a priest can bless someone elses child.

There are certain types of blessings--one is liturgical and the other is by laypeople.

The liturgical one is from a priest. Only priests have actual God-given power to bless. When other people try to act like priests, it takes away from their authority, which is abusive.

That's how I see it, anyway. There's nothing wrong with saying "May God bless you", but actually laying hands and acting as the priest would is wrong.

princessgianna

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1868831' date='May 16 2009, 02:34 PM']Only a priest can bless someone elses child.[/quote]
well the priest does! *confused*

*sudden realization* OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when the lay people do that-it's abuse!

yea that's wrong! :mellow:

Sorry I was thinking that when a Mom goes up to communion the priest will bless the little child. and some people thought that to be abuse.

my mistake.

princessgianna

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1868835' date='May 16 2009, 02:37 PM']There are certain types of blessings--one is liturgical and the other is by laypeople.

The liturgical one is from a priest. Only priests have actual God-given power to bless. When other people try to act like priests, it takes away from their authority, which is abusive.

That's how I see it, anyway. There's nothing wrong with saying "May God bless you", but actually laying hands and acting as the priest would is wrong.[/quote]
Right thanks!

that is when the lay people try to bless the kids.

k got it ;)
thanks

Nihil Obstat

I've talked to certain people that get *really* uptight when I bring this up. :( Ignorant Catholicism disturbs and frustrates me.

Lay people no priests yes

I have had lay people pray over people who come up but do not recieve. "May God protect you." I see no problem with that.

at my church the EMHC put their hand on the kid (if they can reach, they don't go out of their way) and say "Jesus bless you". so what does that fall under? because they are laying their hand on them, but it sounds like the blessing itself is okay.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Brigid' post='1869934' date='May 17 2009, 10:10 PM']at my church the EMHC put their hand on the kid (if they can reach, they don't go out of their way) and say "Jesus bless you". so what does that fall under? because they are laying their hand on them, but it sounds like the blessing itself is okay.[/quote]

It is an abuse.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1869943' date='May 17 2009, 11:16 PM']It is an abuse.[/quote]
dang. well, sadly, I'm not surprised. :ohno:

Nihil Obstat

Even what they do that's technically allowed is *so* borderline. The average person doesn't really distinguish between someone saying "May God bless you" and "I bless you". To most people it all falls under "giving a blessing." This I know for sure. I'd probably prefer if the practice was 100% eliminated, instead of being 'technically' all right.

[quote name='picchick' post='1869717' date='May 17 2009, 06:27 PM']I have had lay people pray over people who come up but do not recieve. "May God protect you." I see no problem with that.[/quote]
It is not their place to do what you are talking about. In fact, they have been deputed simply to distribute communion, and that type of deputation of the laity should only be done in extraordinary situations.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1868831' date='May 16 2009, 03:34 PM']Only a priest can bless someone elses child.[/quote]

or Deacon ^_^

she_who_is_not

During RCIA, I would go up for a blessing during communion and the lay ministers would sometimes give a blessing. I just assumed they were allowed to do this. It is good to know!

[quote name='StColette' post='1870119' date='May 18 2009, 08:50 AM']or Deacon ^_^[/quote]

the bishop blessed my baby cousin last week at my brother's confirmation :saint: it was so cute i could hardly stand it :)