An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children Being Blessed At Communion Time

princessgianna

[quote name='mcts' post='1870172' date='May 18 2009, 12:05 PM']the bishop blessed my baby cousin last week at my brother's confirmation :saint: it was so cute i could hardly stand it :)[/quote]

Bishops fall into the category of priests ;) so he's covered in the topic :)

inunionwithrome

In our parish, the EM's are allowed to give a simple gesture. I know because I serve as one. We are allowed to give them the sign of the cross on the forhead. I may say May God bless you protect you and keep you. It is not the same as a Sacramental blessing which the priest or deacon gives. Technically in a dire or serious situation a lay person can also baptize a person if they are about to die and no priest is available. :seehearspeak:

Guest sarahdab

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1868835' date='May 16 2009, 02:37 PM']There are certain types of blessings--one is liturgical and the other is by laypeople.

The liturgical one is from a priest. Only priests have actual God-given power to bless. When other people try to act like priests, it takes away from their authority, which is abusive.

That's how I see it, anyway. There's nothing wrong with saying "May God bless you", but actually laying hands and acting as the priest would is wrong.[/quote]

This is actually interesting, my dad and I were having this conversation just the other day. When you say "May God bless you" You are giving a blessing (which only a priest can do.) When you say "God Bless you" (like when someone sneezes) it is just common curtousy, you are basically saying I'm praying for God to bless you.

[quote name='StColette' post='1870185' date='May 18 2009, 11:28 AM']Bishops fall into the category of priests ;) so he's covered in the topic :)[/quote]

yeah, i know, but it was so cute i thought i'd share :love:

HisChildForever

What kinds of words distinguish between a blessing and a prayer? If an extraordinary minister, for instance, simply nods to the child and says "God grant you many graces" or something to that effect, how is that different from praying for someone at night, when we say "Lord, please grant ___ many graces."

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting topic. We, EMHC, at my parish were always told to say/pray something like "may God bless you" but rarely do we have to because it is such a small parish and normally the priest is the only one doing the Body of Christ.

At my parish, the kids come up after the distribution of communion, and the priest blesses each one...it takes a long time, cause he actually bends down, puts both hands on their heads and says a blessing...maybe about 5 seconds for each kid. Blessing the kids takes almost as long as communion.

It is so great to see all the kiddies come running up the aisle to be blessed...

cassandragirl

Gina,

I am an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (EM) and we have been told that we do not bless people to avoid confusion between a priestly blessing and any blessing a layperson might do (i.e. parent blessing their kid). We are instructed to simply say ' receive the Lord Jesus in yur heart' if they come up for a blessing.

Hope that helps.

cassandragirl

[quote name='jumpfrog' post='1886651' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:49 PM']At my parish, the kids come up after the distribution of communion, and the priest blesses each one...it takes a long time, cause he actually bends down, puts both hands on their heads and says a blessing...maybe about 5 seconds for each kid. Blessing the kids takes almost as long as communion.

It is so great to see all the kiddies come running up the aisle to be blessed...[/quote]

I like that idea - it makes it even planer that the blessing given by the priest is extra special.

Guest Quis Et Deus?

Some people have a problem with this because it can be viewed as adding something to the mass, which is not permitted. Back in the 'old' days, when people could not receive communion they would simply stay at their seat and pray to receive communion because they could not, as is what one should be doing. However, I believe that many people do not want to be 'judged' because they cannot receive, so they would rather receive a blessing to relieve their paranoia. In any case, there is no point in receiving a blessing at communion because EVERYONE receives a blessing at the end of mass.

I do not think that the Vatican has an official statement on the matter, but I do know of a diocese or two that has stopped allowing blessings to occur, at least by lay people.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Quis Et Deus?' post='1889114' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:40 PM']I do not think that the Vatican has an official statement on the matter, but I do know of a diocese or two that has stopped allowing blessings to occur, at least by lay people.[/quote]
Well it's pretty clear that lay people shouldn't do it.

I guess the next logical question is should priests be doing it at that time in the Mass?

Off the top of my head, I can't say I have a problem with it, but other people should comment.

inunionwithrome

This was just brought up in our training session on Saturday morning about the blessing of children. Father said it is not the same because he is the only one who can give a sacramental blessing. Also in our parish, the parents kind of expect it. We have about 800 people in our parish and usually around 230-325 for the mass I serve at. So, it is also up to the priest.