An Old School Catholic Message Board

Justifying Contraception

mortify

well as long as you dont take highschool sex ed too literally and leave the condom on the banana, its not rocket science. :) but you are right, there are people dumb enough to screw everything up. :P

Edited by Jesus_lol

MissScripture

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1880823' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:12 AM']well as long as you dont take highschool sex ed too literally and leave the condom on the banana, its not rocket science. :) but you are right, there are people dumb enough to screw everything up. :P[/quote]
My one and only experience with an actual condom was the one I almost stepped on at the beach last summer. I really wish I hadn't read this thread and had that memory brought back. *shudders*

But, I think that's the point. NFP isn't rocket science either! (It's biology! :hehehe: :ninja: :nerd: )

Christie_M

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1880823' date='Jun 1 2009, 10:12 PM']well as long as you dont take highschool sex ed too literally and leave the condom on the banana, its not rocket science. :) but you are right, there are people dumb enough to screw everything up. :P[/quote]

:mellow: i haven't taken that class...so i'm really trying not to imagin what you're talking about...

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1880826' date='Jun 1 2009, 10:17 PM']But, I think that's the point. NFP isn't rocket science either! (It's biology! :hehehe: :ninja: :nerd: )[/quote]

ahah nice!!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1880738' date='Jun 2 2009, 04:16 AM']i believe that NFP can work. but unfortunately its complicated. so while all the people who have enough brains to use it arent having many babies, all the people who dont know their own arse from a hole in the ground are populating the planet.[/quote]
I honestly used to think it would be really complicated, too, but it really isn't. Definitely not as confusing as Fizzbin (for any other Star Trek nerds :nerd: ). Anyway, I've personally found that charting with Billings really is easier than remembering to take a pill at the exact same time every day*, and yes I was on the pill. Besides that, it is really nice being able to truly know what's going on with my body. Even during the most confusing time in a woman's cycle: during breastfeeding.

*For the pill, especially the mini pill, to be effective, it must be taken at pretty much the same time every day, within 1 hour for the mini pill, I've heard, though that could be off. The lee-way is a little more with the combined pill, but still diminishes effectiveness.

Angel*Star

Another added bonus about knowing Natural Family Planning is if something is wrong with a woman's body, charting can give her doctor very good clues on what is happening or not happening. I have known women who went to my doctor with symptoms (pain, bleeding, unable to achieve pregnancy, etc.) and he had them learn NFP. Once they started charting, he was able to pinpoint the problem. Usually it was not tough to remedy and he never used the pill to remedy a situation.

marielapin

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1880726' date='Jun 1 2009, 09:03 PM']My first four children are about 2 years apart. It has everything to do ecological nursing. For those that do not understand ecological nursing, it is nursing a baby without bottles at all. This helps the mother's body to realize she has a baby and suppresses her cycles until the baby doesn't nurse quite so much. This can be 6 months or longer than one year. It is only then her cycles return and she can get pregnant again. Of course, this takes another 9 months which add up to about two years. Isn't God wonderful? In His precise ways He protects moms from having babies every 9 months. Of course, we have to do things HIS way, not OURS! For further information on this or NFP check out Couple to Couple League.[/quote]

Ecological breastfeeding keeps me infertile for 23 months. This has happened with both my boys. If this continues this will space all my children approx. 3 years apart. My two boys even had the same due date but were born four days shy of three years apart.

According to the figures in Kippley's "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing" the average for a woman following the rules is 15 months. I'm just a freak.

Edited by marielapin

I'm confused. Are people defending NFP by saying only idiots mess it up? I've seen a post by a couple on phatmass who messed it up and ended up with a child. I'm pretty sure they weren't idiots either.

Edited by musturde

RemnantRules

the words "mess it up" is incorrect for husbands and wives using NFP, and if they are truly using NFP in the correct manner. People that use NFP should be completely arware that God knows best, and may bless' them with a child at any time, even if the woman is on an "infertel" day. God NEVER "messes up" when giving us life.

Edited by RemnantRules

Archaeology cat

[quote name='musturde' post='1881247' date='Jun 2 2009, 07:50 PM']I'm confused. Are people defending NFP by saying only idiots mess it up? I've seen a post by a couple on phatmass who messed it up and ended up with a child. I'm pretty sure they weren't idiots either.[/quote]
No, I don't think people are saying that. I also wouldn't assume a couple who conceives while the woman is on the pill are idiots. Nothing short of total abstinence is 100% effective at avoiding pregnancy, and so there will be those who conceive despite following all the guidelines for a particular method, NFP or ABC. That doesn't make them idiots.

Angel*Star

[quote name='musturde' post='1881247' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:50 PM']I'm confused. Are people defending NFP by saying only idiots mess it up? I've seen a post by a couple on phatmass who messed it up and ended up with a child. I'm pretty sure they weren't idiots either.[/quote]

Wow! They ended up with a child? That is a problem? Please, we have such a bad thought process on children in the world. When I got pregnant with child no. 6 another woman in my parish had breast cancer and people felt sorry for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure that one!!!! The woman fought and is winning the fight while my beautiful little girl blesses me every day with her insights, wisdom and beauty. My children aren't mess ups! They are blessings! I just wish the mind set of this world would change about children!

Angel*Star

[quote name='marielapin' post='1881199' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:23 PM']According to the figures in Kippley's "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing" the average for a woman following the rules is 15 months. I'm just a freak.[/quote]

You are not a freak! You are a beautiful and blessed mother!

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1881422' date='Jun 2 2009, 04:05 PM']Wow! They ended up with a child? That is a problem? Please, we have such a bad thought process on children in the world. When I got pregnant with child no. 6 another woman in my parish had breast cancer and people felt sorry for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure that one!!!! The woman fought and is winning the fight while my beautiful little girl blesses me every day with her insights, wisdom and beauty. My children aren't mess ups! They are blessings! I just wish the mind set of this world would change about children![/quote]

remember children arent for everybody, just as the preist hood isnt, and marriage isnt always.
and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting only a few children.

MissScripture

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1881477' date='Jun 2 2009, 07:24 PM']remember children arent for everybody, just as the preist hood isnt, and marriage isnt always.
and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting only a few children.[/quote]
Nothing is wrong with people feeling as though they can only handle a few, as long as they accept all the children they are blessed with. Also, as long as they don't go around making snide remarks to people who have more, or complaining about "too many kids," especially when the people who have these kids are not involved in any way whatsoever in their lives.

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1881422' date='Jun 2 2009, 06:05 PM']Wow! They ended up with a child? That is a problem?[/quote]
No, you misunderstood me. The funny thing is, that post was a reply to something you said that I read wrong.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1881610' date='Jun 2 2009, 08:38 PM']Nothing is wrong with people feeling as though they can only handle a few, as long as they accept all the children they are blessed with. Also, as long as they don't go around making snide remarks to people who have more, or complaining about "too many kids," especially when the people who have these kids are not involved in any way whatsoever in their lives.[/quote]

yeah those people piss me off. though having more kids doesnt make you a better person either, so the snide comments about people who "can only handle 5 kids etc" are just as unwarranted.

some people take other peoples pregnancies entirely too personally.