Nihil Obstat Posted June 4, 2009 Posted June 4, 2009 I actually read them all... Not 100% by choice, but it's a long story. They were poorly written, full of plot holes and poor dialogue and sentence structure, but morally I don't see them being a particularly bad influence. Yea, there were less than perfect parts, but there were also some themes that weren't all that bad. My inclination would be to call these books morally neutral, but artistically lacking, with emphasis on artistically lacking.
Guest KevinSymonds Posted June 5, 2009 Posted June 5, 2009 My article is being split into two halves. The first half will come tomorrow. The other on Monday. I'll keep y'all posted!
homeschoolmom Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 I have only heard of them, know of their existance and the basics (vampires + teen novels). I was picking up hsdaughter from the library yesterday where she is a volunteer. She was going to the reference desk to sign up for the teen summer reading program. The librarian smiled and mentioned that they were having a Twilight discussion group this summer (in addition to their other stuff) and she gestured to the display. HSD looked like she'd been invited to eat a can of fish bait. I don't think she's ever heard of Twilight.
Resurrexi Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 (edited) The [i]Twilight [/i]movie was decent. Edited June 6, 2009 by Resurrexi
Nihil Obstat Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1884475' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:10 PM']The [i]Twilight [/i]movie was decent.[/quote] I'll believe *that* when I see it. Haha.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1884469' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:00 PM']I have only heard of them, know of their existance and the basics (vampires + teen novels). I was picking up hsdaughter from the library yesterday where she is a volunteer. She was going to the reference desk to sign up for the teen summer reading program. The librarian smiled and mentioned that they were having a Twilight discussion group this summer (in addition to their other stuff) and she gestured to the display. HSD looked like she'd been invited to eat a can of fish bait. I don't think she's ever heard of Twilight.[/quote] lol My kids get that look when people ask them if they like Hannah Montana.
Theologian in Training Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 (edited) I tried reading the first one, but, having a BA in English has ruined me, because I could not get through the first few pages given how many grammatical errors and poorly written sentences there were. If Stephenie is not going to bother to write well, I am not going to bother reading her books. Edited June 6, 2009 by Theologian in Training
Nihil Obstat Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 I don't have a heck of a lot of formal training in grammar, but what I do know is that I constantly had to reread sentences because they just didn't seem to make sense.
Excelsior1027 Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 (edited) What I don't get is how the character of Edward is being seen as some chaste, virtuous gentleman. I mean, he sneaks in to Bella's room at night and watches her sleep for fun...doesn't that sound more like a stalker to you? If I was a dad and my daughter was being watched by some creepy dude, I'd be pulling out the ol' Louisville slugger. Edited June 6, 2009 by Excelsior1027
HisChildForever Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 Never read the series because I have absolutely NO interest to. I am a HUGE vampire "fan" though. Anne Rice, Bram Stoker, and [b]TOTAL[/b] BtVS & AtS junkie. Twilight looks like a JOKE in comparison. I did see the first movie (watched it online), and it was just pitiful.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 I just hate how Twilight has become the new bible for teenage girls who say they like vampires. Seriously. Holy Water is the perfect antidote.
HisChildForever Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1884704' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:58 AM']I just hate how Twilight has become the new bible for teenage girls who say they like vampires. Seriously. Holy Water is the perfect antidote. [/quote] ARGH, it's even WORSE when said teenage girls act as if they are all cool and rebellious for "loving" Edward. Lame, lame, lame. The book is NOT about vampires, it's about a "tragic" adolescent romance. There has to be that "tragic" or forbidden element to it, so why not make it about a vampire?? Her version of what a vampire is is pretty sad too.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 Agreed^10 Edward is only a vampire so that she can make him 'perfect' and maintain a plotline that isn't (in her mind) completely pathetically self indulgent. Know what I mean? If she made him a regular person that was as (again, in her mind) perfect as Edward is supposed to be, it would be unrealistic, even by her miniscule standards. Since he's a vampire though, she gets to break that rule.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 Warning: mature humour... and when I say mature, I mean potentially inappropriate. It's actually pretty immature in terms of intelligence. [url="http://www.xkcd.com/591/"]XKCD meets Stephanie Meyer[/url]
Nihil Obstat Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1884722' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:14 AM']Pathetically self-indulgent, ROFL.[/quote] I should be clear: I think it's that already, but I'm talking about from her own perspective. Even she has some standards. I think.
HisChildForever Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1884724' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:15 AM']I should be clear: I think it's that already, but I'm talking about from her own perspective. Even she has some standards. I think.[/quote] Lol, you don't need to clarify yourself Nihil.
Theologian in Training Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1884710' date='Jun 6 2009, 02:01 AM']ARGH, it's even WORSE when said teenage girls act as if they are all cool and rebellious for "loving" Edward. Lame, lame, lame. The book is NOT about vampires, it's about a "tragic" adolescent romance. There has to be that "tragic" or forbidden element to it, so why not make it about a vampire?? Her version of what a vampire is is pretty sad too.[/quote] Didn't Shakespeare do this already, minus the Vampire?
HisChildForever Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1884727' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:18 AM']Didn't Shakespeare do this already, minus the Vampire?[/quote] Hence my use of quotations around tragic. It wants to be some great romance, but it falls flat on its face. Edited June 6, 2009 by HisChildForever
whatsup Posted June 6, 2009 Posted June 6, 2009 One of the things that are bad about Twlight is bad about vampires in general .....they're the bad guys......our culture has so messed up the thought of wrong and right.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now