An Old School Catholic Message Board

Twilight Novels

Guest KevinSymonds

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1887339' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:37 PM']To be fair, when he said lines like
he was referring to why it was dangerous for Bella to be around him, and why she should have nothing to do with him. He did try to convince her not to become attached to him. Let's not take things out of context.[/quote]

I don't take it like he said that.

I think he had a snap moment. He totally flipped out a bit. He was doing all he could to stay away from her and she was saying, "I am not afraid of you."

And snap.

He was like, "Don't you see?"

And then comes the line. "Everything about me brings you in, as if I don't need it." And then he flips out and starts jumping all over the place and throwing trees around just to show how terrible he really is.

I think it was a snap moment and a kind of pent up frustration he was letting out. Like, "don't you get it? look at what i am!" I don't think he told her that to necessarily protect her.

... i guess you are right. maybe he did mean it that way. it wasn't how I took it at first though.

Unlike the devil he did seek to protect Bella (the soul) from himself. True. True. However, the vampire... the character itself is alluring on purpose and for bad reasons. Just as the devil is. And just kind of as the book is...

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Nihil Obstat

Maybe we just took it two different ways.

In any case, there are plenty of reasons I don't like the book, both in terms of literature and morals... but I wouldn't draw more than a passing similarity between Edward and Satan, in that they both look nice but are actually harmful.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1887354' date='Jun 9 2009, 06:52 PM']Maybe we just took it two different ways.

In any case, there are plenty of reasons I don't like the book, both in terms of literature and morals... but I wouldn't draw more than a passing similarity between Edward and Satan, in that they both look nice but are actually harmful.[/quote]

similarity none the less.

and when friend was telling me, I thought of Fr. Euteneuer. Edward basically calls himself out.

[quote]“Fr. Euteneuer explained the basic exorcism procedure, and the tactics the devil uses to possess a person. The first tactic relies on seduction, trying to get the victim to invite him into their lives.

‘Most people with demonic problems have opened a door somewhere,’ said Fr. Euteneuer. He cited the popularity of the occult in bringing people closer to demonic interaction, primarily through the growth of the New Age movement and other paraphernalia. He said that even Hasbro markets Ouija boards to children.

‘I’m very set against Harry Potter,’ he said. ‘It’s pumping into our children’s minds the language and imagery of the occult. It’s extremely spiritually dangerous.’
He also called attention to a growing fascination with the cult of the vampire, especially through the popularity of books and movies like Twilight, where the main character falls in love with a vampire.

‘I predict that in the next 10 years or so, we’ll see an explosion of occult activity,’ said Fr. Euteneuer. ‘The number of soft-core occultism in the form of things like Harry Potter, Wicca and the New Age is on the increase. These are the gateways to the hardcore stuff. Ask any inner-city police department if they’re seeing evidence of Satanism. They’re organizing whole task forces to deal with crimes having to do with these things. As society becomes more faithless, this wickedness comes and fills the vacuum.’”[/quote] - [url="http://spesunica.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/twilight-deemed-dangerous-by-exorcist/"]http://spesunica.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/...us-by-exorcist/[/url]

Another friend of mine has went out and bought an encyclopedia on vampires. not something everyone would do, but still...

Meyer was saying in the interview how she wants the reader to experience the story as Bella experiences it. She wants the reader to have, through the book, the same experience as Bella. What is Bella's experience? An obsession and fascination with Edward... with becoming a vampire.

And many girls seem to be having that experience. Some just the obsession and fascination with Edward. (i.e. quitting job if the movie is taken down, watching the movie 8 times) Others even with the idea of vampires. (i.e. going out and buying a vampire encyclopedia, reading other books related to the idea of vampires)

And both of these lead in a direction away from God.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1887258' date='Jun 9 2009, 04:14 PM']A lot of girls think right now that an un-vampire like Edward is out there waiting to bump into them...[/quote]

Well, once they find out that that isn't going to happen, they will be sad and disappointed and realize how dumb they were. That's all.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='jmjtina' date='03 June 2009 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1244070178' post='1882346']
a lady with a rosary.
[/quote]
Cause 'lady with the rosary' in Italy definitely narrows down the person being spoken about.
It's like saying 'get the guy with the bagel' on the lower east side.

Laudate_Dominum

My wife has read all the books (for research purposes) but I only just saw the movie version for the first time recently. I hate to admit that I kind of got into the movie, especially with RiffTrax. It is still hokey and all that, but I'm looking forward to seeing New Moon because I want to know what happens with Bella and Edward Cullen! hahahaha. Oh, I'm waiting to watch it until it comes out on dvd and RiffTrax are available.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='25 November 2009 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1259178616' post='2009343']
My wife has read all the books (for research purposes) but I only just saw the movie version for the first time recently. I hate to admit that I kind of got into the movie, especially with RiffTrax. It is still hokey and all that, but I'm looking forward to seeing New Moon because I want to know what happens with Bella and Edward Cullen! hahahaha
[/quote]
I made a deal that involved me reading the first book...... and unfortunately I neglected to remember the fact that once I start a series, I almost always have to finish it. :wacko: So I read all of them.
Then got tricked into watching the movie. It was a dirty trick.
They said it was Transformers. :weep:

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 November 2009 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1259178697' post='2009345']
I made a deal that involved me reading the first book...... and unfortunately I neglected to remember the fact that once I start a series, I almost always have to finish it. :wacko: So I read all of them.
Then got tricked into watching the movie. It was a dirty trick.
They said it was Transformers. :weep:
[/quote]
Wow... It is good to know that there are others out there. We should form a support group. "Men who have read or watched Twilight and got into it, anonymous." MWHROWTAGIIA... We can talk about the name.

Actually, in my mid-teens I did write a ton of fanfic. ^_^ Mostly for an original work on FictionPress that had a pretty large following.

And as far as vampire novels go, I've never been a fan. I hate vampire stories; they all seem so silly to me. That's probably a bit strange when you consider that high fantasy is one of my favorite genres for both reading and writing.

...I prefer succubi. :mellow: