An Old School Catholic Message Board

Customs!

mariaassunta

mariaassunta
:topsy: Anyone know of any customs from community's :lol_roll: , Good topic I think!

I know Poor Clare's go bare foot in the confines of the Monastery.

InHisLove726

I know the Franciscan Friars and Sisters of the Renewal go barefoot when in a chapel for daily prayer. I've also seen photos with the Friars and Sisters barefoot during profession ceremonies. ;)

I also know that it is a primary custom (although others may do it) that the Carmelites use the phrase "Praised be Jesus Christ!" as a greeting, where the other person is supposed to respond, "Now and Forever!" I couldn't quite get the hang of this with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in East Chicago. There was one Sister that repeated it 3 times before I knew what she said. LOL! I felt so bashful afterwards. :topsy:

Edited by InHisLove726

VeniteAdoremus

Dude. Where to start?

First: not all customs apply to all communities, even within the same Order :)

Dominican nuns wear shoes! Not because they're not hard-core (they are) but because St. Dominic was asked to wear shoes while preaching, to tell him apart from Albigensian preachers. They used to be very strict about this, but nowadays some nuns and sisters wear sandals if they want to.

Dominicans sing the Salve Regina every evening after Compline (many others do too, nowadays), and serve the youngest friar/sister first at meals. (Both are traditions from the early days of the Order.)

Carmelites have an empty Cross (that is, without Corpus) above their beds to remind them that they should partake (love that word*) in Christ's crucifixion themselves.

Contemplative Sisters of St. John go to manifestations etc. to pray for those there. Even when they don't give a talk, and if applicable all through the night.

Most rosary-wearing religious wear it on their left side, because right-handed people would wear their sword there (for easy pulling).

*partly because it sounds like "pancake", I admit.

Are you sure Dominicans [i]always [/i]pray the Salve Regina after Compline? They might change with the seasons (like my Franciscan Community.)

We chant the Salve Regina during ordinary time.

There are quite a few Marian antiphons, actually, but in the Liturgy of the Hours, the four most widely used are sung after Compline (Night Prayer) according to the liturgical season.

Alma Redemptoris Mater (sung at from the first Sunday in Advent until Candlemas)
Ave Regina caelorum (from Candlemas until Wednesday of Holy Week)
Regina caeli (sung during the Easter Season)
Salve Regina (ordinary time)

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1894774' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:09 PM']Are you sure Dominicans [i]always [/i]pray the Salve Regina after Compline? They might change with the seasons (like my Franciscan Community.)

We chant the Salve Regina during ordinary time.

There are quite a few Marian antiphons, actually, but in the Liturgy of the Hours, the four most widely used are sung after Compline (Night Prayer) according to the liturgical season.

Alma Redemptoris Mater (sung at from the first Sunday in Advent until Candlemas)
Ave Regina caelorum (from Candlemas until Wednesday of Holy Week)
Regina caeli (sung during the Easter Season)
Salve Regina (ordinary time)[/quote]

I'm almost positive that Dominicans always chant the Salve Regina after Compline. I know that during certain season like during Easter, they may add another antiphon like the Regina Caeli after chanting the Salve Regina. But yes, Dominicans always chant the Salve Regina after Compline. And I think most also chant the O Lumen (a hymn to St. Dominic) as well after the Salve procession.

VeniteAdoremus

They do :) ALWAYS.

And yes, the O Lumen too, although I don't know how widespread that is. My community does it. And during Eastertide they add the Regina Caeli, but nothing extra during Advent.

(You can see it in a bad video [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4o0GOb3D0g"]here[/url] - this was the feast of the birth of St. John last year, hence the cappas.)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1895039' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:27 AM']They do :) ALWAYS.

And yes, the O Lumen too, although I don't know how widespread that is. My community does it. And during Eastertide they add the Regina Caeli, but nothing extra during Advent.

(You can see it in a bad video [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4o0GOb3D0g"]here[/url] - this was the feast of the birth of St. John last year, hence the cappas.)[/quote]

Surely. Salve Regina+O lumen after Completory. I read an article about it... ;)

OSM always sing the half of the Ave Maria before all their community prayer (Liturgy of Hours) and even before Masses! They end the L.of H. with prayers in connection with Our Lady, Mother of Graces.

And when I go there, my first way should be: kneeling before the Blessed Sacrament. :)

In some convents they pray Ave Maria before meals. Some nuns also pray Ave Maria before writing a letter.

the lords sheep

Something unique to my future community is that novices only wear the white veil when at home. If they are out in public or doing any type of ministry, they wear the black veil. It goes back to their foundations when people in hospitals would refuse the help of the "white veils" because they were new. School children also wouldn't respect the "white veils" as much. So now, when they're out and about (especially during their mission year), novices sport a black veil.

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1894774' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:09 AM']Are you sure Dominicans [i]always [/i]pray the Salve Regina after Compline? They might change with the seasons (like my Franciscan Community.)[/quote]

No, we always say the Salve. St Dominic had a vision of Our Lady, St Cecilia and St Catherine of Alexandria. Our Lady told him "I am she whom you invoke every eve, and when you say, [i]Eia ergo, advocata nostra,[/i] I prostrate myself before my Son, entreating Him to protect this Order."

Since then, Dominicans have always sung the Salve after Compline.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1895096' date='Jun 18 2009, 01:38 PM']Something unique to my future community is that novices only wear the white veil when at home. If they are out in public or doing any type of ministry, they wear the black veil. It goes back to their foundations when people in hospitals would refuse the help of the "white veils" because they were new. School children also wouldn't respect the "white veils" as much. So now, when they're out and about (especially during their mission year), novices sport a black veil.[/quote]

Oh, that's a really nice quirk :) I love the practical streak :)

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1895103' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:18 PM']No, we always say the Salve. St Dominic had a vision of Our Lady, St Cecilia and St Catherine of Alexandria. Our Lady told him "I am she whom you invoke every eve, and when you say, [i]Eia ergo, advocata nostra,[/i] I prostrate myself before my Son, entreating Him to protect this Order."

Since then, Dominicans have always sung the Salve after Compline.[/quote]

And Our Lady gets a LOT of exercise.

Man I love her :)

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1895096' date='Jun 18 2009, 01:38 PM']Something unique to my future community is that novices only wear the white veil when at home. If they are out in public or doing any type of ministry, they wear the black veil. It goes back to their foundations when people in hospitals would refuse the help of the "white veils" because they were new. School children also wouldn't respect the "white veils" as much. So now, when they're out and about (especially during their mission year), novices sport a black veil.[/quote]

Wow, it's very similar to a Congregation - unfortunately it joined to another Congregation. :) The novices wore white veil at home and black in church. For first profession they got a silver ring, for final, they got a golden one. :)

Maria_Faustina

Poor Clares start their day at in the midnight hour. They rise to say Matins, and then go back to sleep, and then rise again for Morning Prayer! It's beautiful.
They also observe the Lenten fast year-round (that includes a perpetual abstinence from meat).
The superior of a Poor Clare community is an abbess, even if the convent isn't technically an abbey, or connected with an abbot.
...Franciscan joy is also a custom. :)