An Old School Catholic Message Board

Customs!

mariaassunta

dominicansoul

I also, do not find my Sisters to be "fashion misfits" just because they wear socks with sandals...

Heck,

The beauty of the Dominican Habit makes up for any fashion faux pas!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1904068' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:38 PM']I also, do not find my Sisters to be "fashion misfits" just because they wear socks with sandals...

Heck,

The beauty of the Dominican Habit makes up for any fashion faux pas![/quote]

:yes:

Deo Volente, 15 months until I'll be wearing one ;)

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1903935' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:49 PM']As long as they're not leather :)[/quote]

I've washed leather ones before now without any problems, apart from a funny look from my housemate when he went into the bathroom and they were merrily drip-drying into the bath.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1904294' date='Jun 28 2009, 05:32 PM']I've washed leather ones before now without any problems, apart from a funny look from my housemate when he went into the bathroom and they were merrily drip-drying into the bath.[/quote]

Really!? I live in Texas, and I usually get a new pair of leather sandals every few years because, as I don't wear socks with them, the linings just get really gunky... you can kind of scrape at them but it doesn't help very much. So you put them in the washing machine? *astonished and fascinated* :detective:

the lords sheep

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1904646' date='Jun 29 2009, 03:17 AM']Really!? I live in Texas, and I usually get a new pair of leather sandals every few years because, as I don't wear socks with them, the linings just get really gunky... you can kind of scrape at them but it doesn't help very much. So you put them in the washing machine? *astonished and fascinated* :detective:[/quote]

Yeah, I can't believe that it doesn't just destroy the look and feel of the leather!

Cool.

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1904646' date='Jun 29 2009, 03:17 AM']Really!? I live in Texas, and I usually get a new pair of leather sandals every few years because, as I don't wear socks with them, the linings just get really gunky... you can kind of scrape at them but it doesn't help very much. So you put them in the washing machine? *astonished and fascinated* :detective:[/quote]

I make no guarantee that this will work for your sandals, but this is what I did:

My washing machine is a front-loader, rather than a top-loader. I ran them through on a gentle (wool cycle, temperature about 30*C) setting, with about half the recommended dose of deterngent and no fabric conditioner/softener. I turned off the spin part of the cycle, gaven them an extra-long rinse, took them out when the machine had drained, and hung them out to dry.

They were at the stage when they were practically walking by themselves, and I thought "what have I got to lose?" It is also important to note that if they had fallen apart, I could afford to buy a replacement pair.

Mum washes dad's trainers all the time, and so long as you don't have the water too hot or put them in the tumble dryer (you'll melt the glue), they're generally fine. However, I wouldn't do it with my bestest fancy party shoes (or any shoes, to be honest, in case the leather shrank), or anything that you'd be heartbroken/couldn't afford to replace if it didn't work. The leather was a little stiff the first time I wore them afterwards, but otherwise it was fine. And don't wash them with anything else, in case the dye runs.

VeniteAdoremus

My running trainer also says you can wash running shoes, as long as you take the insoles out and do it at the gentlest cycle without tumbling. Manufacturers say you can't, but apparently manufacturers don't do anything they do out of pure love for us their customers :o

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1905110' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:19 AM']I make no guarantee that this will work for your sandals, but this is what I did:

My washing machine is a front-loader, rather than a top-loader. I ran them through on a gentle (wool cycle, temperature about 30*C) setting, with about half the recommended dose of deterngent and no fabric conditioner/softener. I turned off the spin part of the cycle, gaven them an extra-long rinse, took them out when the machine had drained, and hung them out to dry.

They were at the stage when they were practically walking by themselves, and I thought "what have I got to lose?" It is also important to note that if they had fallen apart, I could afford to buy a replacement pair.

Mum washes dad's trainers all the time, and so long as you don't have the water too hot or put them in the tumble dryer (you'll melt the glue), they're generally fine. However, I wouldn't do it with my bestest fancy party shoes (or any shoes, to be honest, in case the leather shrank), or anything that you'd be heartbroken/couldn't afford to replace if it didn't work. The leather was a little stiff the first time I wore them afterwards, but otherwise it was fine. And don't wash them with anything else, in case the dye runs.[/quote]

Thanks for the how-to! I may try that, with my oldest pair, some day no one else is at home.

Getting back to customs, the Poor Clares of the Immaculate, and I think lots of other communities too, draw saints for the year on Epiphany. Some postulant was assigned to type up a million slips of paper in different colors, and ten or so bowls held different categories: "Virtue," "Choir of Angels," "Scripture verse" (this year all from St. Paul), "Title of Our Lady," "Male saint," "female saint," etc. They drew some for their Bishop and the seminarians of the diocese, too! It was fun to sit and see what everyone would get.

the lords sheep

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1902729' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote]
Something unique to my future community is that novices only wear the white veil when at home. If they are out in public or doing any type of ministry, they wear the black veil. It goes back to their foundations when people in hospitals would refuse the help of the "white veils" because they were new. School children also wouldn't respect the "white veils" as much. So now, when they're out and about (especially during their mission year), novices sport a black veil.[/quote]

That is so interesting; which community is this?
[/quote]

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma. One of the things that I love about them is that they're practical. They also do not where a rosary on their habit because (as many of them work in medical professions) they found that the rosary was constantly getting caught in the hospital beds and breaking or causing other problems.

Another Mercy custom is that Sisters do not choose their own name. Mother chooses the name for you, and when she "names" you, she gives you a mystery and a feast day to go with that name. For example, there is Sister a named for St. Mary Magdalene, and the mystery of name (if I remember correctly) is that just as Mary Magdalene was the first to see the risen Christ and proclaim the resurrection to the world, so Sister too will proclaim the hope of the resurrection in her religious life.

Edited by the lords sheep

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1908001' date='Jul 2 2009, 06:27 AM']That is so interesting; which community is this?

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma. One of the things that I love about them is that they're practical. They also do not where a rosary on their habit because (as many of them work in medical professions) they found that the rosary was constantly getting caught in the hospital beds and breaking or causing other problems.

Another Mercy custom is that Sisters do not choose their own name. Mother chooses the name for you, and when she "names" you, she gives you a mystery and a feast day to go with that name. For example, there is Sister a named for St. Mary Magdalene, and the mystery of name (if I remember correctly) is that just as Mary Magdalene was the first to see the risen Christ and proclaim the resurrection to the world, so Sister too will proclaim the hope of the resurrection in her religious life.[/quote]
I love the tradition of Mercy sisters wearing a cross without a corpus so that they may become the crucified Christ in their life and works.

the lords sheep

[quote name='shortnun' post='1908298' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:57 PM']I love the tradition of Mercy sisters wearing a cross without a corpus so that they may become the crucified Christ in their life and works.[/quote]

:yes:
When one of the Sisters was describing the cross to me and it's symbolism, that's when I first realized, in a profound way, that I could be called to this order. The cross is an ebony cross with an inset of ivory, and there is no corpus on the cross as shortnun said. The symbolism of the cross is that the Sister herself is to be the body of Christ through which the mercy of God (the ivory) meets the misery of man (the ebony). God will use her hands, her words, her heart to spread his mercy to the world. It's beautiful. :love:

The cross on the Franciscan Crown that OLAM wears also has no corpus... just simple wood. I think for the same reason. Actually, the crosses on many sister's rosaries were made from a tree from the Irondale monastery... kind of cool. And the black beads that most sisters have are actually seeds from Brazil. I always liked to think of them as the seeds of the gospel, that Jesus would sow with our prayers. :)

The type of crucifix is up to the monastery though. In Phoenix they have a San Damiano crucifix... I don't know about France or Texas. They have different beads, too, I think.

I will post the story about the where the Crown came from later. It's very cool.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1909310' date='Jul 3 2009, 11:17 PM']And the black beads that most sisters have are actually seeds from Brazil. I always liked to think of them as the seeds of the gospel, that Jesus would sow with our prayers. :)[/quote]

Wow. I'd never have thought of it that way. That's so beautiful!

Even though to me, the rosary will always be my sword :sword: ;)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1909382' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:48 PM']Even though to me, the rosary will always be my sword :sword: ;)[/quote]

That's why you're Dominican, and I'm Franciscan. :lol: No, we think of it as our weapon too... Remember Maximilian Kolbe and the Militia Immaculata is Franciscan ;)

Now for that story... So there was this young novice with the first order, (I can't remember exactly when... maybe 100 years after Holy Father Francis' death?) who, sad that as a novice he could no longer afford to crown Our Lady's statue with flowers, resolved to leave the Order.

But then Our Lady appeared to him, and encouraged him always to persevere in following the way of Holy Poverty, in accord with the Holy Gospel and "the footprints of Jesus Christ. And she invited him, instead of a crown of material flowers, to weave her an even more beautiful crown... a seraphic crown in honor of the joys of her life with Jesus. I want to say that she also said that anyone who prayed it would never stray from true Franciscan poverty, but I can't say for sure where I heard that.

And eventually, this crown of prayers evolved into a rosary, or the Franciscan Crown! :) And... an interesting side note... the Crown is the most highly indulgenced rosary in the Church, and to gain the indulgence it isn't necessary to meditate on the mysteries, but to just pray them in honor of the mysteries.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1909310' date='Jul 3 2009, 04:17 PM']The cross on the Franciscan Crown that OLAM wears also has no corpus... just simple wood. I think for the same reason. The type of crucifix is up to the monastery though. In Phoenix they have a San Damiano crucifix... I don't know about France or Texas. They have different beads, too, I think.

I will post the story about the where the Crown came from later. It's very cool.[/quote]

I know for Franciscan friars, whether they are allowed to have a crucifix depends on whether they are OFM, OFM Cap., OFM Conv., or TOR. Only one of the groups is allowed to have a crucifix on their rosary. I don't remember which. Someone else might though.