An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Heretics Be Burned?

Patrick

Exsurge Domine (1520)  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Patrick' post='1901497' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:43 PM']Would you expect him to answer "yes" given the context?[/quote]

Why would he not, if it is true?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1901508' date='Jun 25 2009, 04:56 PM']Why would he not, if it is true?[/quote]

Well, for one thing, notice that he, as many other Protestants, list their religion as simply "Christian" instead of acknowledging their affiliation to a particular tradition.

But for two, even what with assurances that the Catholic Church, for whatever reason, doesn't act in this way toward heretics these days, in the context of having just talked about the burning of the founder of that line, your question could be seen or felt as calling him out, and as being somewhat aggressive.

[quote name='Patrick' post='1901517' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:04 PM']Well, for one thing, notice that he, as many other Protestants, list their religion as simply "Christian" instead of acknowledging their affiliation to a particular tradition.

But for two, even what with assurances that the Catholic Church, for whatever reason, doesn't act in this way toward heretics these days, in the context of having just talked about the burning of the founder of that line, your question could be seen or felt as calling him out, and as being somewhat aggressive.[/quote]

I have no problem being aggressive.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1901519' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:11 PM']I have no problem being aggressive.[/quote]
Understatement of the [s]day[/s]
[s]week[/s]
[s]month[/s]
[s]year[/s]
century.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Kitty' post='1901606' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:16 PM']I love religion. It's a good excuse to kill people.[/quote]

Yeah, its a shame nothing else is worth killing over isn't it. I mean, no one has ever been killed over land, or money, or taxes, or sex, or "rights", or because they were a rotten piece of refuse, or becuase they were the wrong race, or the wrong ideaology, or they married someone of the wrong class, or they resisted those in power, or they were in power and were resisted effectivly or any other of numerous reasons, Religion is the only reason people ever kill anyone else. Isn't it grand.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Don John of Austria

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1901616' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:25 PM']Religion is the only reason people ever kill anyone else.[/quote]

Did I say that?

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1901616' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:25 PM']Yeah, its a shame nothing else is worth killing over isn't it. I mean, no one has ever been killed over land, or money, or taxes, or sex, or "rights", or because they were a rotten piece of refuse, or becuase they were the wrong race, or the rong ideaology, or they married someone of the wrong class, or they resisted thoe in power, or they were in power and were resisted effectivly or any other of numerous reasons, Religion is the only reason people ever kill anyone else. Isn't it grand.

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Well no offense but when people of your apparent mindset (based on your recent comments) get actual power than yes, religion does become a very dangerous thing.

"Most people with even an elementary knowledge of Christ will admit that such killing is inconsistent with His teachings. People often try to justify their hatred, actions, and even killing by appealing to whatever is held in high regard by the population. It follows that if Christianity is or was held in high regard by populations, that certain people with the power to carry out atrocities would attempt to justify them in the name of Christianity."

-Kirk Durston, National Director, New Scholars Society

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1901622' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:33 PM']Well no offense but when people of your apparent mindset (based on your recent comments) get actual power than yes, religion does become a very dangerous thing.[/quote]

Yeah, thats it. My mindset is the one thats dangerous.

Wait people with my mindset had actual power for most of the history of the world. Almost everywhere. How many people died in wars or religion, how many died in wars of politics since the birth of the Secular State?

Societies that have aunifying religion protect it. THat is the norm for all societies everywhere. Societies that do not have a unifying religion tend to break up over time anyway.

That said, the general attack on religion is meaningless. This thread is about the understanding of Catholic dogma and doctrine, since niether of you are particularly concerned with that there is no constructive reason for your presence on the thread.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Kitty' post='1901626' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:39 PM']"Most people with even an elementary knowledge of Christ will admit that such killing is inconsistent with His teachings. People often try to justify their hatred, actions, and even killing by appealing to whatever is held in high regard by the population. It follows that if Christianity is or was held in high regard by populations, that certain people with the power to carry out atrocities would attempt to justify them in the name of Christianity."

-Kirk Durston, National Director, New Scholars Society[/quote]

oooh appealing to authority only works when the person [i]has[/i] authority. That said, I find it funny it is from an article explaining how much better less horrifying they were than the atheist State.
Probably people with an elementery knowledge of Christ would say such killing are inconsistant wiht his teachings, most elementary studnets will some up chirstianity as "BE NICE TO PEOPLE".

However those with a more developed understanding might not say that.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1901637' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:52 PM']Yeah, thats it. My mindset is the one thats dangerous.[/quote]

correct.

[quote]Wait people with my mindset had actual power for most of the history of the world. Almost everywhere. How many people died in wars or religion, how many died in wars of politics since the birth of the Secular State?[/quote]

No idea. We would want to do percentages of populations rather than raw numbers, if we were going to do the test. Either way it has little to do with my point. It is not religion in itself I consider dangerous. I also don't consider communism, in itself dangerous. However just as communism becomes dangerous when a man with a mindset like Stalin comes too power, so religion becomes dangerous when individuals like you come to power.

[quote]Societies that have aunifying religion protect it. THat is the norm for all societies everywhere. Societies that do not have a unifying religion tend to break up over time anyway.[/quote]

Could be. We'd need to look at the data though. I'm not sure how we'd piratically go about doing that.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1901637' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:52 PM']That said, the general attack on religion is meaningless. This thread is about the understanding of Catholic dogma and doctrine, since niether of you are particularly concerned with that there is no constructive reason for your presence on the thread.[/quote]

I understand it. I just don't agree with it.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1901637' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:52 PM']This thread is about the understanding of Catholic dogma and doctrine...[/quote]

and the shock that came from it. Ever since the first post, there was a place to express one's reaction to it (and to defend one's reaction to it).

But returning to the thread's theme is a good reminder. I would like to take an hour or two and sum up the knowledge gained on this thread, in terms that (I hope) everyone, or most everyone, reading here would agree to. A challenge indeed! I don't have the time tonight. Of course, if someone else wants to take a crack at it, I'm grateful.

Although, before we jump all the way back, I was curious how Don John was going to respond to my Jan Hus post a bit ago.