An Old School Catholic Message Board

Silence And Solitude

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

For those of you familiar with both St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross... one of the conditions that these two masters of contemplative prayer say is required is silence and solitude. Hence their preference of the cloistered life, so as to reach the heights of contemplation.

Now, obviously most of us don't have the means (or the calling) to the contemplative life. Yet that doesn't mean that a) we aren't called to contemplation or b) that we aren't called to the same conditions of silence and solitude, if only in a different sense. (Sorry for the double negatives!)

Jesus tells us that when we pray we should go to inner chambers (Matthew 6:6), which St. Augustine says signifies the inner recesses of the mind, which is free of our speaking, so that God may more fully communicate himself to us and provide for our needs.

All that said... I just wanted to jump start a conversation about silence and solitude, and how as people in the world we can cultivate these into our relationship with God.

One thing I've noticed, for myself at least, is that television and music and some novels, even, really make this difficult. Back at school I have no access to television, nor do I listen to music all too often. When I go to pray, even when prayer is dry, I recognize that I have the "silence."

On the other hand, here at home, with constant tv access and music in the radio and on my computer... I find that when I go to pray, especially when prayer is dry, I cannot cultivate that same silence. Instead I have in my mind songs that I've listened to, stuck in my head. Thoughts race about the themes of the current novel/tv show I'm reading/watching. Mostly it's just the music-- always having songs stuck in my head. And it's difficult to have that silence and solitude with the Lord, even when I'm alone with him in adoration.

So... just some thoughts... Open for discussion. :-)

When I'm on the bus and train, I usually prefer not to listen to my iPod, because it's just a way to avoid thinking. It takes effort to spend that time thinking about something. Even though it's not "quiet," if I'm using that time productively, I can turn it into a certain kind of "quiet," because I am alone with my thoughts. Sometimes I listen to podcasts, so that I have something to listen to; the podcasts are not just music that distracts me from thinking, but rather the podcasts are something intellectually and/or spiritually productive.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Era Might' post='1895318' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:46 PM']When I'm on the bus and train, I usually prefer not to listen to my iPod, because it's just a way to avoid thinking. It takes effort to spend that time thinking about something. Even though it's not "quiet," if I'm using that time productively, I can turn it into a certain kind of "quiet," because I am alone with my thoughts. Sometimes I listen to podcasts, so that I have something to listen to; the podcasts are not just music that distracts me from thinking, but rather the podcasts are something intellectually and/or spiritually productive.[/quote]

Yeah, I do the same when I fly back and forth from school to home. 7 hour plane rides give you a lot of time to think and pray, even when there are external noises.

And that's a distinction that is made about silence as well: External silence and interior silence. In most cases, the latter is more important than the former, although there are times when the former is needed.

LouisvilleFan

Well, since the amp in my ride bit the dust a few months back, I've been listening to my iPod in the car (which I know looks very cool as I roll up at stop lights) but lately I'm starting to enjoy the times of silence. I couldn't handle it for long trips... road noise tends to cause drowsiness :) But on short trips in the city, I've been using more of that time just to think.

You know, the only people who are truely lonely are those who can't handle being alone.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1895302' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:15 PM']For those of you familiar with both St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross... one of the conditions that these two masters of contemplative prayer say is required is silence and solitude. Hence their preference of the cloistered life, so as to reach the heights of contemplation.[/quote]
I think it's worthwhile to go beyond simple auditory silence and physical solitude. Avoid every distraction, involvement, or time sink possible. TV is probably the biggest one. News is another -- most of it is just meant to frighten and outrage. Gossip, either about acquaintances or famous people, too. Games, books, or hobbies which are more involving than relaxing.

From St. Teresa's [i]Interior Castle[/i] [First Mansions, Chapter 2, #16]:

[indent]It is most important to withdraw from all unnecessary cares and business, as far as compatible with the duties of one's state of life, in order to enter the second mansion. This is so essential, that unless done immediately I think it impossible for any one ever to reach the principal room, or even to remain where he is without great risk of losing what is already gained; otherwise, although he is inside the castle, he will find it impossible to avoid being bitten some time or other by some of the very venomous creatures surrounding him.[/indent]
In my experience, willfully avoiding as she says, "all unnecessary cares and business" really does help with prayer.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote]One thing I've noticed, for myself at least, is that television and music and some novels, even, really make this difficult. Back at school I have no access to television, nor do I listen to music all too often. When I go to pray, even when prayer is dry, I recognize that I have the "silence."

On the other hand, here at home, with constant tv access and music in the radio and on my computer... I find that when I go to pray, especially when prayer is dry, I cannot cultivate that same silence. Instead I have in my mind songs that I've listened to, stuck in my head. Thoughts race about the themes of the current novel/tv show I'm reading/watching. Mostly it's just the music-- always having songs stuck in my head. And it's difficult to have that silence and solitude with the Lord, even when I'm alone with him in adoration.[/quote]

This is very true, and it's very telling that you have found this in your own experience. We know that all spiritual teachers recommended silence even centuries before all that noise (TV, Ipods, whatever) was possible ... how much more we need silence and solitude in this sickly noisy world we live in now, which does not allow space for reflection, and especially for listening to the gentle Voice of the Spirit within.

Obviously this has to be a personal choice and we need to put personal discipline into it. But it's worth!

As a contemplative I find that images are even more pervasive that sounds, so I stay away from Tv and other sources. And it helps the silence, indeed :D.

What a wonderful topic.

Although I am in the world, I've attempted to cut back on extraneous noise. Television (although I never was a big watcher), chatting with friends and coworkers 'just because', most secular books (a very difficult goal for me) and a lot of music--even Christian music have all taken a back seat to my desire to be more alone with the Alone.

It reminds me of something St. John of the Cross once said: you should live in the monastery as though no one else were in it. One doesn't have to be a vowed religious to practice this. The term custody of the senses comes to mind. We should focus on our Lord alone and stay out of others' business. Easier said than done, but it's a task that I strive to fulfill each day with our Lord's help.

Blessings on your journey.

One thing my spiritual director once suggested to me was to work on being fully present in the present moment as much as possible. For example, while listening to someone telling me something, try not to be thinking about what I need to do that night. Or thinking about whether or not I remembered to put everything away after making breakfast that morning while I am doing tasks at work.

My natural tendency is to have a very dispersed and haphazard thought pattern, with things popping up here, there and everywhere. When I focus on organizing my thoughts and taking control of my own stream-of-consciousness in my day-to-day life it becomes much easier to focus and have an interior silence during prayer as well.

I love that! It's something I work on every day. Being in the world, bombarded with information overloads- sights, sounds, and other sensual stimuli- it's perhaps one of my most difficult tasks. I am much better than I used to be but of course have a long way to go.

I help myself by rarely turning on the TV or radio. Silence externally helps me more with my internal silence.

Someone asked me why God spoke to people like Moses or Noah, but doesn't so much anymore, and I said because even if God was trying to speak to us, how would we hear him over the din?

+J.M.J.+
i find that if i get around a lot of people (which at my family functions is A LOT of people), i get really emotionally drained. as in, breaking down in tears drained. so, i have to set aside time for silence and solitude so as to recharge myself and give myself a break from having to deal with other people's emotions, problems, etc.

[quote name='morostheos' post='1923783' date='Jul 18 2009, 12:03 PM']One thing my spiritual director once suggested to me was to work on being fully present in the present moment as much as possible. For example, while listening to someone telling me something, try not to be thinking about what I need to do that night. Or thinking about whether or not I remembered to put everything away after making breakfast that morning while I am doing tasks at work.

My natural tendency is to have a very dispersed and haphazard thought pattern, with things popping up here, there and everywhere. When I focus on organizing my thoughts and taking control of my own stream-of-consciousness in my day-to-day life it becomes much easier to focus and have an interior silence during prayer as well.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
this happens to me while i'm trying to pray LOTH :wacko: i try really hard, but sometimes it is a challenge when you've got a two and a half year old running around and a 3 month old crying :wacko:

[color="#483D8B"]RECHARGING, yes! Renewing our minds, restoring our faith and connection and resolve.

I know, in this fast paced world it can be hard to find the time --so we have to take 5 minutes here and there and go really deep in our connection to Him.

We actually HAVE to - to function properly -meaning - in love, in patience - examples of what Christ has done in our lives. .. That we do have the answer to peace of mind and contentment.

A car doesn't run on empty...

:)[/color]