An Old School Catholic Message Board

Silence And Solitude

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1930768' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:48 AM']+J.M.J.+
i find that if i get around a lot of people (which at my family functions is A LOT of people), i get really emotionally drained. as in, breaking down in tears drained. so, i have to set aside time for silence and solitude so as to recharge myself and give myself a break from having to deal with other people's emotions, problems, etc.[/quote]

I absolutely feel the same way! Ugh, malls? The worst.

Last year, we had quite a few 'issues' with some family members, including divorce and it WASN'T pretty. :( I would end conversations or visits so tired I could barely drive home.

Even now, I can only watch so much TV or listen to radio without having to turn it off.

I SO enjoy my solitude. God is SO good that I'm able to have that 'me' time.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='HisChild' post='1931165' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:38 PM']I absolutely feel the same way! Ugh, malls? The worst.

Last year, we had quite a few 'issues' with some family members, including divorce and it WASN'T pretty. :( I would end conversations or visits so tired I could barely drive home.

Even now, I can only watch so much TV or listen to radio without having to turn it off.

I SO enjoy my solitude. God is SO good that I'm able to have that 'me' time.[/quote]

Malls are the best, there is no time (you are hard pressed to find a clock) you can walk aimlessly with no on bothering you, and you don't have to go into any store if you don't want to. If I am at the mall, I find I can pray a rosary quite easily. It is all about allowing the silence and solitude be a part of you, rather than letting the noise of the world impose itself upon us.

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1932500' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:23 PM']It is all about allowing the silence and solitude be a part of you, rather than letting the noise of the world impose itself upon us.[/quote]

I like that perspective... but I find it very hard to do.

Especially since I left the monastery, I've noticed that more and more, I'm finding myself wanting noise just for the sake of having noise. At first, I was totally shocked by it and really, really didn't like it, to where it was making me kind of anxious. But I've noticed that little by little it's almost like I get anxious now when there isn't noise. Almost like I want to drown out... just being, kind of, if that makes sense? Definitely a problem I think. Something I'm really going to have to work on.

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1932500' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:23 PM']Malls are the best, there is no time (you are hard pressed to find a clock) you can walk aimlessly with no on bothering you, and you don't have to go into any store if you don't want to. If I am at the mall, I find I can pray a rosary quite easily. It is all about allowing the silence and solitude be a part of you, rather than letting the noise of the world impose itself upon us.[/quote]

See, I can't get into the whole mall scene. I'd much prefer walking around my block to pray the rosary. Much more quiet and easier for me to reflect without distractions.

That's quite a talent and blessing you have.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1932550' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:17 PM']I like that perspective... but I find it very hard to do.

Especially since I left the monastery, I've noticed that more and more, I'm finding myself wanting noise just for the sake of having noise. At first, I was totally shocked by it and really, really didn't like it, to where it was making me kind of anxious. But I've noticed that little by little it's almost like I get anxious now when there isn't noise. Almost like I want to drown out... just being, kind of, if that makes sense? Definitely a problem I think. Something I'm really going to have to work on.[/quote]

I didn't realize you'd left the monastery? How long has it been for you? Can you believe it's been 3 yrs for me? The day I left, everything seemed so LOUD. Then, gradually I craved anything to drown out the silence. Lately, in the past few months, the noisier it gets, not only with audible noise, but all the other nonsense the world throws our way visually, etc. I've become so dissatisfied with the noise and find myself spending entire weekends not leaving the house (backyard not included) with no TV or radio playing at all. The desire for silence has returned and it's returned with a gusto and fervor I hadn't known before.

Feel free to PM if ever you need a shoulder, my friend. I'll keep you in prayer. Please pray for me as well.

Theologian in Training

Practice silence daily and it becomes easy to recognize in the loudest of places, even malls.

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1932634' date='Jul 26 2009, 04:53 PM']Practice silence daily and it becomes easy to recognize in the loudest of places, even malls.[/quote]
That's absolutely right. :)

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1932500' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:23 PM']Malls are the best, there is no time (you are hard pressed to find a clock) you can walk aimlessly with no on bothering you, and you don't have to go into any store if you don't want to. If I am at the mall, I find I can pray a rosary quite easily. It is all about allowing the silence and solitude be a part of you, rather than letting the noise of the world impose itself upon us.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
do you think that's how St. Pio could pray so many rosaries in a day?

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1933115' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:03 PM']+J.M.J.+
do you think that's how St. Pio could pray so many rosaries in a day?[/quote]

Most definitely, though he was not in a mall, he was in a confessional, but still, the ability to maintain the inner silence is what is key

[quote name='HisChild' post='1932563' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:36 PM']I didn't realize you'd left the monastery? How long has it been for you? Can you believe it's been 3 yrs for me? The day I left, everything seemed so LOUD. Then, gradually I craved anything to drown out the silence. Lately, in the past few months, the noisier it gets, not only with audible noise, but all the other nonsense the world throws our way visually, etc. I've become so dissatisfied with the noise and find myself spending entire weekends not leaving the house (backyard not included) with no TV or radio playing at all. The desire for silence has returned and it's returned with a gusto and fervor I hadn't known before.

Feel free to PM if ever you need a shoulder, my friend. I'll keep you in prayer. Please pray for me as well.[/quote]

Yeah... it's been about a month and a half for me... so strange... It doesn't seem like its been that long. Wow... 3 years... that is hard to believe. One thing I found shocking was how claustrophobic I felt... Everything seemed so small compared to the monastery... and cluttered. I hated that. And people are just a lot more talkative and, I don't... a little bit like they're picking you apart kind of. You might be staying in a small area space-wise in the monastery, but you have a lot more mental space, if that makes sense. :lol:

Please do keep praying for me... I am having a hard time... a lot of ups and downs kind of thing. But I'm okay... slowly but surely getting there, anyway. And I will definitely pray for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
kavalamyself

I have found some good resources on the internet about "urban monasticism" which offers a lot of practical suggestions.