Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1895977' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:49 PM']+J.M.J.+
did you post there? <_< i think it's stupid, personally. it's a rip off and not Christian.[/quote]
I've been there once, and now I can't remember why, but I didn't think it was terrible. What makes you say this?

Posted

+J.M.J.+
you should really be contacting CatholicMatch, since that's the parent company.

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1896072' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:12 PM']I've been there once, and now I can't remember why, but I didn't think it was terrible. What makes you say this?[/quote]
Because they are basically trying to trick people that are looking for the Phatmass Phorum by having a Google ad that says "PhatMass Forums" that points to their own forum.

Yes, it's shady. It's also very funny.

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1896072' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:12 PM']I've been there once, and now I can't remember why, but I didn't think it was terrible. What makes you say this[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
uh, them using phatmass' good name and reputation to spur their own online forum doesn't strike you as dishonest? it does for me. that's what makes me say it is unChristian. otherwise their forum looks very nice, and i'm sure is a good way to meet other Catholic adults. though it doesn't strike me as a particularly youth oriented site.

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='dUSt' post='1896074' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:14 PM']Because they are basically trying to trick people that are looking for the Phatmass Phorum by having a Google ad that says "PhatMass Forums" that points to their own forum.

Yes, it's shady. It's also very funny.[/quote]


[quote name='Lil Red' post='1896075' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:15 PM']+J.M.J.+
uh, them using phatmass' good name and reputation to spur their own online forum doesn't strike you as dishonest? it does for me. that's what makes me say it is unChristian. otherwise their forum looks very nice, and i'm sure is a good way to meet other Catholic adults. though it doesn't strike me as a particularly youth oriented site.[/quote]


Ooookay, from the way Lil Red's original post was worded, I thought she was saying she didn't like them aside from this (like she had some previous experience with them that was not good). Yes, I would agree that it is not cool to trick people. I just misunderstood her post.

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1896079' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:19 PM']Ooookay, from the way Lil Red's original post was worded, I thought she was saying she didn't like them aside from this (like she had some previous experience with them that was not good). Yes, I would agree that it is not cool to trick people. I just misunderstood her post.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
yeah, i re-read my post after i posted in response to you. i wasn't clear, i apologize. i've edited my original post.

Posted

+J.M.J.+
i didn't want to go through the rigamarole of creating an account so i contacted them by creating a 'help ticket'. here's what i sent them:
[quote]Is there a reason your website is misdirecting people when they search for phatmass.com by pointing them to your own forum website?

I'm a member there and I feel you are taking advantage of the goodwill and popularity of the phatmass.com forums by purchasing a Google ad that says:

[quote]PhatMass Forums
www.4marks.com/forums Meet and disucss 1000s of topics. Great Catholic discussion.[/quote]

How is this Christian? Look, if you want to spur the growth of your forum's popularity by purchasing a Google ad, I commend you. Just don't take advantage of what has taken the webmaster and creator of phatmass.com years to build up; and don't trick people who are legitimately looking for phatmass.com into coming to your site. Do your own legwork.

By the way, you should make sure what you are doing isn't illegal.[/quote]

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

I don't think its fair when dUSt travels and uses his own money to pays $800 dollars to attend conferences to help promote phatmass and the crowd that we are suppose to be getting is going to someone else? It takes a lot of work, time and resources to do the hard work dUSt is doing. And like Lit Red mentioned, has been doing it for years! Using the name and promoting their link in place of it is wrong if when you come online to search and get misguided somewhere else. :club: :blink: >:( :o

Posted

Well, technically, I only use "my" money until I can pay myself back with "your" money. lol

Posted

[quote name='dUSt' post='1896094' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:56 PM']Well, technically, I only use "my" money until I can pay myself back with "your" money. lol[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
yeah, and you're in debt because 'we' stink at giving you money.

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1896097' date='Jun 19 2009, 05:01 PM']+J.M.J.+
yeah, and you're in debt because 'we' stink at giving you money.[/quote]
What is debt? Money debt? blah

I am truly in debt to all of you--not because of donations, but because y'all give me a reason to overcome my distorted humanity in an attempt to be something good. No amount of money can repay that.

Posted

[quote name='dUSt' post='1896105' date='Jun 19 2009, 03:12 PM']What is debt? Money debt? blah

I am truly in debt to all of you--not because of donations, but because y'all give me a reason to overcome my distorted humanity in an attempt to be something good. No amount of money can repay that.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
geez, what a guilt trip! :sadder: man, you are definitely Catholic!! :weep: okay, i'll donate some more!!

:P

seriously, i'll be trying to help you cover monthly hosting costs from here on out. i had to cancel my game membership to bigfishgames.com, but i think phatmass is worth more than a monthly game. :think: i think.

franciscanheart
Posted

before you hate on the site, i would find out who did it. it easily could have been someone who left phatmass angry (because he/she is a baby who can't handle rules and/or hasn't learned to play with others) and did it just to pull traffic away. it would be funny if someone was actually spending money to do it. sadly, it wouldn't surprise me.

CatholicCid
Posted

Assuming "Phatmass" is copyrighted, which the front page says it is, can't you send them an email informing them to remove the term "Phatmass"?

Posted

Dust needs to copyright and trademark the Phatmass name in all is possible permutations:

Phatmass
PhatMass
pHATmASS
PHATmass
phatMASS
PhAtMaSs

etc.

Posted

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1896126' date='Jun 19 2009, 05:51 PM']before you hate on the site, i would find out who did it. it easily could have been someone who left phatmass angry (because he/she is a baby who can't handle rules and/or hasn't learned to play with others) and did it just to pull traffic away. it would be funny if someone was actually spending money to do it. sadly, it wouldn't surprise me.[/quote]
Personally, this is what I suspect.
The first thing I noticed when I saw the ad was the sloppy misspelling of "disucss."
Such an obvious and sloppy typo in an advertisement simply does not look like anything I've seen from 4marks.com, which, whatever else you might say about them, has been quite professional and "slick" in their presentations, and not prone to that kind of sloppiness, which smacks of amateurism.

Besides, it really makes no sense for a large, respected business like 4marks to pull a stunt like that. Anyone following the link looking for Phatmass, can see that it is not in fact Phatmass, and using the Phatmass name would merely give free advertising to Phatmass and do little to "help" 4marks.
And, no offense to dUSt and Phatmass, but 4marks is a bigger, better-known enterprise than Phatmass, so such a move on the part of 4marks would make no sense.

The whole thing smacks of some amateur mischief to me, rather than an actual "marketing" move by 4marks.com.

Posted

[quote name='Socrates' post='1896316' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:56 PM']Personally, this is what I suspect.[/quote]

Budge?

Posted

[quote name='Socrates' post='1896316' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:56 PM']And, no offense to dUSt and Phatmass, but 4marks is a bigger, better-known enterprise than Phatmass, so such a move on the part of 4marks would make no sense.[/quote]
Yet, according to Alexa.com we have twice as many sites that link to us.

Brother Adam
Posted

And really have very little that is unique and original to offer.

Posted

I loved that video that 4marks put out about the church. That was awesome. I just signed up in their social network. Requested that phatmass be a "celebrity" profile. We'll see.

I don't hate, I cooperate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...