Resurrexi Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 (edited) I want this blessing for my wife and me on our wedding night: BLESSING OF THE BED V. The Lord be with you. R. And with thy spirit. Priest: Let of pray. Bless, O Lord, this bedchamber and all that dwell herein, that they may be established in Thy peace and abide in Thy will, and in Thy love may live and grow old, and be multiplied unto length of days. Through Christ our Lord. R. Amen. (The newlyweds stand next to the bed, and the priest blesses it) V. The Lord be with you. R. And with thy spirit. Priest: Let of pray. O Lord, Who neither slumberest nor sleepest, Who keepest Israel, bless this sleeping-chamber. Keep Thy servant and Thy handmaiden resting on this bed from all phantasies and illusions of demons; guard them as they wake, that they may meditate on Thy commandments; guard them as they sleep, that in their slumber they may be conscious of Thee; and that they may be defended by the help of Thy protection, here and everywhere. Through Christ our Lord. R. Amen. (The couple climb into the bed and the priest blesses them) Let us pray. May God bless your bodies and souls, and bestow His blessing upon you, and may He send His holy Angel to keep you all the days of your life. R. Amen. Let us pray. May the hand of the Lord be upon you, and may He send His holy Angel to keep you all the days of your life. R. Amen. Let us pray. May the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit bless you. R. Amen. (The priest sprinkles the couple with holy water) Edited June 22, 2009 by Resurrexi
TotusTuusMaria Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 (edited) Like the thing on the Marie Antoinette movie... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXX_yofG0NM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXX_yofG0NM[/url] 2:34 - 3:38 awkward. Edited June 22, 2009 by TotusTuusMaria
homeschoolmom Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=38514&hl=marriage%20%20bury&st=0"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...20bury&st=0[/url] Believe it or not, we already have a thead that covers this topic.
Resurrexi Posted June 22, 2009 Author Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1898471' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:49 AM']Umm no thank you.[/quote] You don't think it's awesome?
StColette Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898478' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:09 AM']You don't think it's awesome? [/quote] It's not something I would have done, but if you can find someone who agrees with you to do this than all power to ya. I would have found it very awkward. Kinda like when Micah's mother called us our first night as man and wife to see how things were going.
Resurrexi Posted June 22, 2009 Author Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1898483' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:23 AM']It's not something I would have done, but if you can find someone who agrees with you to do this than all power to ya. I would have found it very awkward. Kinda like when Micah's mother called us our first night as man and wife to see how things were going. [/quote] Getting the marriage bed blessed might be a good idea for those who are tempted to pull a Christopher West, though.
CatherineM Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1898483' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:23 AM']It's not something I would have done, but if you can find someone who agrees with you to do this than all power to ya. I would have found it very awkward. Kinda like when Micah's mother called us our first night as man and wife to see how things were going. [/quote] My mother in law got the hotel to put through her call at midnight. She wanted to sing to us. I can't imagine a priest wanting to do this. My father in law did an Anglo-Saxon blessing at the end of the service. Something traditional about a father giving his blessing to the marriage. I don't speak Anglo-Saxon, so it could have been Satanic for all I could tell, but it seemed very important to him.
OraProMe Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 If I was the priest doing that I'd feel so awkward. I'd be tempted to make shifty eyes at the husband and wife.
Resurrexi Posted June 22, 2009 Author Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1898498' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:51 AM']I can't imagine a priest wanting to do this.[/quote] It was a cherished medieval custom, though...
Lil Red Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 +J.M.J.+ [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1898468' date='Jun 22 2009, 07:11 AM'][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=38514&hl=marriage%20%20bury&st=0"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...20bury&st=0[/url] Believe it or not, we already have a thead that covers this topic. [/quote] wow. [quote name='StColette' post='1898483' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:23 AM']It's not something I would have done, but if you can find someone who agrees with you to do this than all power to ya. I would have found it very awkward. Kinda like when Micah's mother called us our first night as man and wife to see how things were going. [/quote] wow.
Resurrexi Posted June 22, 2009 Author Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='OraProMe' post='1898500' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:58 AM']If I was the priest doing that I'd feel so awkward. I'd be tempted to make shifty eyes at the husband and wife.[/quote] If I were I priest, I would not think doing this awkward at all. In fact, I would see it as a great opportunity to pray for a healthy and fertile marriage for the couple.
rachael Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1898483' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:23 AM']It's not something I would have done, but if you can find someone who agrees with you to do this than all power to ya. I would have found it very awkward. Kinda like when Micah's mother called us our first night as man and wife to see how things were going. [/quote] wow. i so would not have picked up that call.
StColette Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 I think you should think about the difference between Medieval custom and today's custom. Many couples are going to a hotel or traveling on a plane after their wedding. It would be kinda weird having a priest come with you to your hotel room to bless the hotel bed lol or fly with you to your honeymoon destination to bless the bed there. Many people no longer stay at home for their honeymoons, which they did during Medieval ages. I think the practicality of the entire matter should be taken into account.
StColette Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898489' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:36 AM'] Getting the marriage bed blessed might be a good idea for those who are tempted to pull a Christopher West, though. [/quote] lol I would say that for the majority of chaste Catholics who get married there is enough awkwardness within the first night of marriage that temptations do something that's inappropriate is out of the picture. lol It's what Alice Von Hildebrand calls holy bashfulness. [quote name='Lil Red' post='1898502' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:59 AM'] wow.[/quote] Yeah [quote name='rachael' post='1898515' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:09 AM']wow. i so would not have picked up that call.[/quote] lol Oh, we didn't. We let it go to voicemail and listened to the message later. lol I can tell you it was pretty awkward calling my dad the next day to tell him that we reached our travel destination safely. lol
Resurrexi Posted June 22, 2009 Author Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='StColette' post='1898519' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:13 AM']I think you should think about the difference between Medieval custom and today's custom. Many couples are going to a hotel or traveling on a plane after their wedding. It would be kinda weird having a priest come with you to your hotel room to bless the hotel bed lol or fly with you to your honeymoon destination to bless the bed there. Many people no longer stay at home for their honeymoons, which they did during Medieval ages. I think the practicality of the entire matter should be taken into account.[/quote] My wife and I would obviously stay at our new home one night before we went on our honeymoon.
she_who_is_not Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898501' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:58 AM']It was a cherished medieval custom, though... [/quote] Medieval people had very different notions of privacy than we 21st century folk. While it is a beautiful idea, I don't think it is one that resonates with most contemporary people. Our culture celebrates the marital union with ceremonies and traditions that are most relevant to the culture or cultures of the bride and groom.
StColette Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898523' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:21 AM']My wife and I would obviously stay at our new home one night before we went on our honeymoon.[/quote] Make sure she's okay with that before you start making plans
Moosey Posted June 22, 2009 Posted June 22, 2009 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1898468' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:11 AM'][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=38514&hl=marriage%20%20bury&st=0"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...20bury&st=0[/url] Believe it or not, we already have a thead that covers this topic. [/quote] Lol! That's such an old thread! Obviously before Sean met my sister. Time Warp, man.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now