Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898938' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:46 PM']The sheets on the bed while it was being blessed could serve as your holy sheets that you use on special occasions.[/quote]

Like what? Christmas and Easter? Anniversaries and birthdays? :unsure:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1898951' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:58 PM']True. But that would probably not be every night. Can you see it? The hubby is getting all excited because he sees that his wife is putting on the "good" sheets.... :yahoo:[/quote]

:rolling:

I hope I never forget this post, HSMom.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1899007' date='Jun 22 2009, 07:13 PM']Like what? Christmas and Easter? Anniversaries and birthdays? :unsure:[/quote]

Well, if one only used the holy sheets on one's wedding anniversary and Christmas and Easter, one could keep them for all 60 to 80 years of one's marriage.

:yes:

Edited by Resurrexi
Posted

One detail people forgot about "disposing" of sacramentals: fire. :mellow:


This is a great thread. A blast from the past, and a little recent humour :mellow:

Posted

Burning mattresses is cool.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' post='1899095' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:29 PM']Burning mattresses is cool.[/quote]
Unless you happen to be in it at the time.

Posted

Burning a mattress would cause a bunch of toxic fumes.

rose wrought of iron
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1898951' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:58 PM']True. But that would probably not be every night. Can you see it? The hubby is getting all excited because he sees that his wife is putting on the "good" sheets.... :yahoo:[/quote]
:rolling: :lol_pound:

If I remember it by then, this will probably be one of those things that makes me laugh in my eighties... :lol:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1899110' date='Jun 22 2009, 09:44 PM']Burning a mattress would cause a bunch of toxic fumes.[/quote]

For some reason this makes me think of a speech someone in my speech class gave over bedbugs. :blink: :pinch:

missionseeker
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' post='1899095' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:29 PM']Burning mattresses is cool.[/quote]


[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1899102' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:36 PM']Unless you happen to be in it at the time.[/quote]


:lol_pound:

DominicanPhilosophy
Posted

With regards to the sacramental properties of the sheets or bed or whatever...I think it's important to keep in mind that, as humans, we must be practical. Receiving a blessing doesn't mean to forgo practicality. Sheets need to be washed, and, even if the sheets themselves are considered blessed, I think God would be just fine with us throwing Tide on them. It's all in the motivation...sort of like the Spirit of the Law vs. the Letter of the Law. I think that a lot of people tend to get so tied up in the preciseness of actions and acting correctly (sort of like the Pharisees) that they forget we live in a fallen world and not always can things be perfect. That carries over into a lot of liturgical stuff, too, but that's a completely different topic. :cool:

+JMJD

AbsconditaInDeo
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898448' date='Jun 22 2009, 08:53 AM']I want this blessing for my wife and me on our wedding night:

BLESSING OF THE BED

V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.
Priest: Let of pray.

Bless, O Lord, this bedchamber and all that dwell herein, that they may be established in Thy peace and abide in Thy will, and in Thy love may live and grow old, and be multiplied unto length of days. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

(The newlyweds stand next to the bed, and the priest blesses it)

V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.
Priest: Let of pray.

O Lord, Who neither slumberest nor sleepest, Who keepest Israel, bless this sleeping-chamber. Keep Thy servant and Thy handmaiden resting on this bed from all phantasies and illusions of demons; guard them as they wake, that they may meditate on Thy commandments; guard them as they sleep, that in their slumber they may be conscious of Thee; and that they may be defended by the help of Thy protection, here and everywhere. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

(The couple climb into the bed and the priest blesses them)

Let us pray. May God bless your bodies and souls, and bestow His blessing upon you, and may He send His holy Angel to keep you all the days of your life.
R. Amen.

Let us pray. May the hand of the Lord be upon you, and may He send His holy Angel to keep you all the days of your life.
R. Amen.

Let us pray. May the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit bless you.
R. Amen.

(The priest sprinkles the couple with holy water)

:yes:[/quote]

If I wasn't called to be a religious and I was called to marriage I would do this, and if I my husband wouldn't want to I would talk him into it. This sounds really cool, and yeah, I do admit it may be a little awkward but I think the awesomeness of it all would totally surpass the awkwardness. :cool:

Just think of the sentimental value your bed would have :saint:

princessgianna
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1898698' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:55 PM']I thought that video was really cool.[/quote]
And I obviously didn't.

[quote name='piano_freak184' post='1898747' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:56 PM']:mellow:[/quote]
I don't piano freak is thrilled with the idea.

Resurrexi dude-don't go scarying her away from the Church. :ninja:

Posted

I agree with St.Colette. If it floats your boat, go for it. I don't think I would want it though. I kinda thing that the marriage is the sacrament so from that comes the consumation. And ta da. Instant holiness...sorta.

Posted

This question might come out stupid, but does the blessing have to be right before "bedtime"? Couldn't it be done after the wedding during the day, then the couple leave the bed? lawl.

Posted

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1899361' date='Jun 23 2009, 02:45 AM']This question might come out stupid, but does the blessing have to be right before "bedtime"? Couldn't it be done after the wedding during the day, then the couple leave the bed? lawl.[/quote]

What if they never want to leave?

VeniteAdoremus
Posted

The blessing actually only mentions "being awake" and "sleeping". It's so unspecific. Where's the part where the night-long interspousal chess matches get blessed?

...because that's what married people do in beds, right? (My brother told me.)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1898925' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:40 AM']Yes. Once something is blessed, does it not then become a sacramental? Should you just toss sacramental sheets in with the dirty towels to wash them with a scoop of Tide?[/quote]

This actually scares me a little, because my dad has a holy water font hanging from his bedroom doorframe thingy, and I knock it off about twice a month. Half our house must be blessed by now, including my shoes many times over...

[quote name='picchick' post='1899375' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:10 AM']What if they never want to leave?[/quote]

Good point. Don't forget to let the priest bless the bedside fridge.

Posted

[quote name='picchick' post='1899375' date='Jun 23 2009, 01:10 AM']What if they never want to leave?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:hehehe:

Posted

[quote name='picchick' post='1899375' date='Jun 23 2009, 01:10 AM']What if they never want to leave?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:hehehe:

Posted

[quote name='picchick' post='1899375' date='Jun 23 2009, 03:10 AM']What if they never want to leave?[/quote]

lol :lol: That's very much a stereotype of newlyweds lol

Posted

I think a Nuptial mass would be enough of a blessing for me. No need to drag the priest to the bed. I'd like to do night prayer though. That'd be sweet.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1899216' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:56 PM']I don't piano freak is thrilled with the idea.

Resurrexi dude-don't go scarying her away from the Church. :ninja:[/quote]

:mellow:

Edited by Resurrexi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...