An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purity Rings

brokensparrow

Spem in alium

I think purity rings can be very useful. I've seen them worn on left and right ring fingers. 

I wear a silver ring, usually on my left hand. It's got Maltese crosses around it, and has a very strong significance for me. I don't consider it a purity ring as such, but a "Beatitudes ring", with the Beatitudes inspiring me to be pure.

One of my friends wears an "agape" ring on his right ring finger. He told me it's a reminder for him to strive to grow in love of God and others and to do so until he can make his agape ring his wedding ring. I particularly like that.

Credo in Deum

While I do not have a problem with purity rings, I can see how it could deter men who might be interested since they could think you are engaged or married.  I usually wear mine on my right ring finger, however, I've been told either way could signify engagement.   In any case I just said whatever and left it on my right ring finger since I'm not going to be wearing a purity pinky ring, lol. 

When I did my Consecration to Mary I made my memento of my consecration my purity ring and placed the inscription "Ad Jesum Per Mariam" on the inside of the ring.   When I was picking up the ring the song playing in the jewelry store was the "Let it Be (Mother Mary)" song by the Beatles.   I laughed.