An Old School Catholic Message Board

Churches

Resurrexi

altar rails  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SponsaChristi

Only the church of my father confessor has an altar rail - and communion is distributet there. Most of the peolpe receive communion in mouth kneeling there (but they always could do otherwise if they wanted).
I would like to go there more often than once a week (as I do now - for confession and then for mass) but it´s a bit too far away... unfortunately!

The altar rail, for me, always added a massive shot of reverence.

The altar rail placed the communicant in a position of a more humble nature, and required more attention.

Yes, I understand that there have been, and will remain, people who have tremendous difficulty with kneeling, the tight spaces, etc. For these people, the priest can use an EMHC to bring the Holy Communion to them.

No, I have not yet found a church near me which still makes use of the railing.

Excelsior1027

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1912363' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:13 AM']I have to wonder why the existing altar rails in some churches aren't used.[/quote]
I have to wonder why so many were taken out in the first place...

+J.M.J.+
no and no

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1912245' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:24 PM']I think our pastor is looking into getting an altar rail. However, as he says, You don't just pick one of those up at Wal-Mart. Give em time![/quote]
:hehe:

We have an altar rail in the chapel of the cathedral I go to. We have TLM in the chapel because of the rail. And we use it :)

I had to answer "no" to both questions, because Eastern Churches do not have altar rails.

To be honest, as far as Western Churches restoring altar rails is concerned, I would rather see the restoration of rood screens.

Maximilianus

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1911967' date='Jul 5 2009, 06:47 PM']I pray for yes and yes, as for now no and no.[/quote]

Same here, except I'll settle for a building that actually looks like a church.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1912697' date='Jul 6 2009, 01:01 PM']To be honest, as far as Western Churches restoring altar rails is concerned, I would rather see the restoration of rood screens.[/quote]

Rood screens were never used universally in the West.

princessgianna

At the latin Mass at my parish they use the first pew for the "altar rail". Nobody sits there. And when times comes for Communion- it is converted to the "Altar rail".

I love the really pretty wooden ones in some older city churches. :love:

Edited by princessgianna