An Old School Catholic Message Board

Desert Experience Retreat

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

My mom suggested that I take a Greyhound bus to Mobile, AL if I want to make the Desert Experience retreat with the Visitation order there. My birthday is this month, so I am planning to put any birthday money I get towards the bus ticket which is only $38.50 each way. I need to write to the nuns to see when the best time is to come.

I was wondering if anyone here had been on the retreat and how long did you stay? How was the experience?

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1911976' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:53 PM']My mom suggested that I take a Greyhound bus to Mobile, AL if I want to make the Desert Experience retreat with the Visitation order there. My birthday is this month, so I am planning to put any birthday money I get towards the bus ticket which is only $38.50 each way. I need to write to the nuns to see when the best time is to come.

I was wondering if anyone here had been on the retreat and how long did you stay? How was the experience?[/quote]

I haven't been (so helpful I am!), but it looks great. Stay as long as you can afford to, that's always the way to go unless you are really really not sure it will be a good experience.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1912152' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:38 PM']I haven't been (so helpful I am!), but it looks great. Stay as long as you can afford to, that's always the way to go unless you are really really not sure it will be a good experience.[/quote]

I'd love to stay a few days at first, since this is the first time I would encounter a cloistered order, but if I like it, I'd be really inclined to go for a week or more the second visit. :)

On a separate note, I love your avatar! Have you read the book, "A Right To Be Merry"?? I believe the nun cutting off the novice's hair is Mother Mary Francis of Roswell, is it not? ;)

Edited by InHisLove726

the lords sheep

Just from my experience with traveling and visiting orders: stay at least 5 or 6 days if you can. You'll be exhausted from the trip the first day, you'll be just settling into things the second day and third day, then you still have 2 or 3 days left to feel out the life, speak with the Sisters, etc
If you are really unhappy, you can usually change your bus ticket to go back early with little or no problem.
Don't be afraid to be uncomfortable there. The Sisters will do everything they can to make you comfortable, and the rest is up to the Lord. Sometimes the Lord works and reveals with discomfort too- it's not necessarily a bad thing.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1911976' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:53 PM']My mom suggested that I take a Greyhound bus to Mobile, AL if I want to make the Desert Experience retreat with the Visitation order there. My birthday is this month, so I am planning to put any birthday money I get towards the bus ticket which is only $38.50 each way. I need to write to the nuns to see when the best time is to come.

I was wondering if anyone here had been on the retreat and how long did you stay? How was the experience?[/quote]

Around this time of year in 1987 I had just finished a retreat with the Toledo Visitation, and had been slated to enter on July 16 when I was called upon to housesit for my sister. On July 4, 1987, I was taken to TN to start my "temp job." The housesitting was nice--very eremitical with a couple of animals (dog Muffin and cat Spooky) to keep me company.

Pardon my grousing--this time of year seems to set me on my ear because I was never permitted to try the Visitation pre-postulancy, and I was taking to the life like a duck to water.

Alas, I digress.

I arrived on a Wednesday, and left on Monday morning. I was there for Ascension Thursday, and Visitation Saturday, which was highly unusual, calendar-wise. The retreat was directed, and on the third day there, I was permitted to "go on the stalls" with the nuns, and follow their horarium (timetable/schedule).

Monday morning, I attended Mass in the public chapel. I sat as close to the nuns as I could, which put me in the front right corner of the pews.

I learned more about the Sacred Heart from those days with the nuns than I had in 20 years of studying the subject. I pray you have a beneficial experience, and remember the Holy Ghost works on attraction.

Blessings,
Gemma

InHisLove726

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1912485' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:43 AM']Just from my experience with traveling and visiting orders: stay at least 5 or 6 days if you can. You'll be exhausted from the trip the first day, you'll be just settling into things the second day and third day, then you still have 2 or 3 days left to feel out the life, speak with the Sisters, etc
If you are really unhappy, you can usually change your bus ticket to go back early with little or no problem.
Don't be afraid to be uncomfortable there. The Sisters will do everything they can to make you comfortable, and the rest is up to the Lord. Sometimes the Lord works and reveals with discomfort too- it's not necessarily a bad thing.[/quote]

That's true. I looked on the bus schedules and the ride will be about 11 hours and 45 minutes (including stops). I've never been on a Greyhound bus before. I'd take a train if it wasn't so expensive these days. :(

I really do want to make this retreat. :) Please pray for me. If the Lord wills it, I will be glad. If He doesn't, I'll just go later. ;)

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1912195' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:59 PM']On a separate note, I love your avatar! Have you read the book, "A Right To Be Merry"?? I believe the nun cutting off the novice's hair is Mother Mary Francis of Roswell, is it not? ;)[/quote]

Mais oui! I saved it from the Roswell website a while ago and found it on my computer when I decided to get a new avatar. Thanks!

Actually, although I read a LOT, the first time I stayed with a cloistered order for discernment it was for two and a half weeks. Granted, I was pretty sure I would like it, and the ticket cost a lot more than $40, but [i]getting [/i]there took about the same amount of time. ...remembers... I did stay at a semi-cloistered monastery for a weekend, but that was mostly as lodging, we only went to three parts of the Office the whole weekend and then the Masses.

DiscerningSoul

I stayed for two weeks as a discernment retreat, you get to follow along with the Nuns, work, rec time, DO, and free time where you can take a nap, walk or read.
I just came home from a week with them again. Oh so wonderful my time there, it was the best retreat I have had ever!(LOL no crying, no phone calls to mom, no getting sick)
I was in VA thou. Each house may do the same thing but each house has a different feel to it.
Even thou I live only about an 8 hour drive my mother had me fly out.(4 to 5 hours)
Good luck with your search.

:saint:

InHisLove726

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1912808' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:58 PM']I stayed for two weeks as a discernment retreat, you get to follow along with the Nuns, work, rec time, DO, and free time where you can take a nap, walk or read.
I just came home from a week with them again. Oh so wonderful my time there, it was the best retreat I have had ever!(LOL no crying, no phone calls to mom, no getting sick)
I was in VA thou. Each house may do the same thing but each house has a different feel to it.
Even thou I live only about an 8 hour drive my mother had me fly out.(4 to 5 hours)
Good luck with your search.

:saint:[/quote]

Wonderful, DiscerningSoul! So are you entering with them this year (I remember reading about your discernment, but I forgot if you are entering for sure or are still in the application process)??? Someone recently told me to check out Rockville, VA as well, so they are on my interest list. However, since I am not working, I'm trying to stay close to home. The Mobile, AL and Snellville, GA are closest (the later is only 5 hours away). :D

I'll be praying for you!

InHisLove726

I need to write "snail mail" to the Visitation monasteries in Snellville, GA and Mobile, AL because I want to find out more information. The only thing is, this will be the first time writing to a cloistered order, and I wanted to know what I should include in the letter. I intend to discern with both monasteries and I want to receive an information packet from them if they have it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to write the letter without sounding too needy or generic? Thank you in advance. ;)

kavalamyself

Whatever you do, don't do what my crazy friend did! When she got to her retreat, she told the nun who answered the door that their veil was the ugliest she had ever seen! Needless to say, that wasn't her vocation! Be a good guest and all will be well.

I think when you write, you should be clear, simple and honest. People have posted good sample letters before. If you want some ideas that are more specific, PM me and I will give you mine.

And I do have a suggestion when discerning. Be careful that you share your information, thoughts, motivations and outside advice with a spiritual director. I had a bad experience with a novice mistress once (Mother Luke, RIP) and she ended up doing some damage to me in terms of my vocation. Had I been smart enough to get a spiritual director and have some balance, I would not have had such a difficult time. Remember that religious are people too and all can make mistakes. Writing is very different than face to face.

Take gentle care,
Kavala

InHisLove726

[quote name='kavalamyself' post='1913807' date='Jul 7 2009, 06:39 PM']Whatever you do, don't do what my crazy friend did! When she got to her retreat, she told the nun who answered the door that their veil was the ugliest she had ever seen! Needless to say, that wasn't her vocation! Be a good guest and all will be well.

I think when you write, you should be clear, simple and honest. People have posted good sample letters before. If you want some ideas that are more specific, PM me and I will give you mine.

And I do have a suggestion when discerning. Be careful that you share your information, thoughts, motivations and outside advice with a spiritual director. I had a bad experience with a novice mistress once (Mother Luke, RIP) and she ended up doing some damage to me in terms of my vocation. Had I been smart enough to get a spiritual director and have some balance, I would not have had such a difficult time. Remember that religious are people too and all can make mistakes. Writing is very different than face to face.

Take gentle care,
Kavala[/quote]

That's good advice, LOL! I would NEVER think to tell a nun that her veil was the ugliest to her face, although, if I had to say that something was the ugliest, the Daughters of Charity and their "flying nun" hats would be the first. ;) Thank God they don't wear those anymore! :topsy:

I do have an SD, but he is out of town for a while, and I don't know when I'll see him again. I was supposed to see him tomorrow, but his request for vacation apparently got approved. :sadder: I hope to see him as soon as he gets back.

InHisLove726

Well, I have finished writing letters on Google Docs for both the Snellville Visitation and Mobile Visitation with a few minor differences between the two. I am going to print them and mail them tomorrow. I hope to hear from both of them soon! :D

InHisLove726

Don't you just love it when you are trying to write a letter to a Vocation Director and your printer runs out of ink? :rolleyes: Apparently, my dad used the last of it and didn't tell anyone! :annoyed: Looks like I'll be making a trip to the public library to use their computer and printer!

InHisLove726

I am really hunkering down and trying to be more cautious with my money so I can afford a trip to the Visitation in Mobile if God makes it possible. I don't know how long it will be until I hear from them, but I'm expecting either a phone call or a letter acknowledging my request to make a retreat. My spiritual director is more than willing to write a letter for me if need be and I also have my parish priest on my side just in case. ;) I'm really excited. Even if this turns out to be where God is not leading me, I am looking forward to the silence and learning more about cloistered orders. :D