An Old School Catholic Message Board

Desert Experience Retreat

InHisLove726

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1917058' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:42 PM']I am really hunkering down and trying to be more cautious with my money so I can afford a trip to the Visitation in Mobile if God makes it possible. I don't know how long it will be until I hear from them, but I'm expecting either a phone call or a letter acknowledging my request to make a retreat. My spiritual director is more than willing to write a letter for me if need be and I also have my parish priest on my side just in case. ;) I'm really excited. Even if this turns out to be where God is not leading me, I am looking forward to the silence and learning more about cloistered orders. :D[/quote]

Good luck! :D Or we should say, may God's will be done!

InHisLove726

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1917061' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:43 PM']Good luck! :D Or we should say, may God's will be done![/quote]

Amen. ;)

InHisLove726

Has anyone ever been on a Greyhound bus before? I was just checking the time and it's 11 hours and 45 minutes to Mobile from home, including transfers and drop-offs (and pickups). Maps @ Google says it takes only 6 hours and 15 minutes to get there if traveling directly. I'm seriously thinking about renting a car for a week through BJ's Wholesale Club (discounts for members) and driving myself. If I take a bus, I won't get to the convent before 8pm! By then, all the Sisters will be going to sleep. If I go by car, I'll make it in the mid-afternoon, and I don't have to worry about anyone picking me up from the bus station. The only cons to that is that it's more expensive (which means more saving time of money) and I have to drive myself, but the pros are infinitely greater.

1) Stop to go to the restroom when I need to
2) No stinky bodies next to me (LOL!)
3) Get in earlier
4) Able to leave sooner if needed
and more...

I have a car, but it's 17 years old, and I doubt it would make it. I think it's probably got a year or so left if I just keep it to the town and around. Long trips always seem to have something go wrong when I drive my own car. :( Plus, no air conditioning. :annoyed:

I haven't heard from the nuns yet. I don't intend to make any plans until I hear whether or not I can come. I have everything ready if they need any letters from spiritual directors or anything as such. :D Please keep praying that, if it's God's will, I can find a job soon. It will make traveling arrangements INFINITELY easier! I'm going to apply for the WorkSource service tomorrow if I qualify. I need all the help I can get! :saint:

Edited by InHisLove726

Laudem Gloriae

I don't mean to scare you and my experience may not be YOURS! Also Austin is big with the slogan and bumper stickers that say "KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD" so no wonder there were weirdos on my bus!

I took a Greyhound bus from Austin, TX to Cleveland, OH to see a communite of PCCs about 4-5 yrs ago and hated it! It took about a day for me. There were a million stops and a lot of weird types on the bus. They didn't bother me but I wasn't thrilled! They stop often to pick up and drop people off and then for breaks (bathroom, snacks) and longer for meals. I was uncomfortable the whole time though there was a bathroom on the bus, I was NOT about to use it!

I also got a bad does o motion sickness (didn't know I would on a bus so didn't take Dramamine or anything!) and the diesel/fumes smell and my luggage got on the wrong bus when we changed buses but then airports do that too!

I would never take a bus again - unless it was a ONE way to a community I was going to enter! I save up for the plane. Is there anyone in your parish who could donate some of their frequent flyer miles to you? Someone did that for me once - but that was a few years ago so maybe it can't be done anymore?

Did you think about Amtrak? Some train destinations aren't too expensive.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1919170' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:36 PM']I don't mean to scare you and my experience may not be YOURS! Also Austin is big with the slogan and bumper stickers that say "KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD" so no wonder there were weirdos on my bus!

I took a Greyhound bus from Austin, TX to Cleveland, OH to see a communite of PCCs about 4-5 yrs ago and hated it! It took about a day for me. There were a million stops and a lot of weird types on the bus. They didn't bother me but I wasn't thrilled! They stop often to pick up and drop people off and then for breaks (bathroom, snacks) and longer for meals. I was uncomfortable the whole time though there was a bathroom on the bus, I was NOT about to use it!

I also got a bad does o motion sickness (didn't know I would on a bus so didn't take Dramamine or anything!) and the diesel/fumes smell and my luggage got on the wrong bus when we changed buses but then airports do that too!

I would never take a bus again - unless it was a ONE way to a community I was going to enter! I save up for the plane. Is there anyone in your parish who could donate some of their frequent flyer miles to you? Someone did that for me once - but that was a few years ago so maybe it can't be done anymore?

Did you think about Amtrak? Some train destinations aren't too expensive.[/quote]

Good to know! Just more of a reason to rent a car! :)

I was looking at all my options and Amtrak does not have a station anywhere near Mobile (too close to the ocean, I guess). They have a regional airport, but the airlines are $300 round-trip and above. My best bet other than taking a bus is to rent a car. If I get it from BJ's Member Savings, I can get an economy car or the next step up for about $170 a week. That's probably the route I will take. :D

LOL, did you notice I said "stinky bodies" on the previous post? Looks like I was correct! :lol_roll:

InHisLove726

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1919170' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:36 PM']Is there anyone in your parish who could donate some of their frequent flyer miles to you? Someone did that for me once - but that was a few years ago so maybe it can't be done anymore?[/quote]

I don't believe that you can transfer FF miles anymore, but I may be wrong. The only airline I have ever taken is AirTran. They have a different system for FF, called A+ Rewards. I saw that you are able to give those to someone, but you have a limit as to how many, I think.

Man, if someone was able to donate their FF miles, and did, I would take them in a heartbeat! There are so many communities I want to visit and money is TIGHT! :annoyed:

• 1 year later...