An Old School Catholic Message Board

Changing Your Own Oil

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

Okay, so I think I have it figured out how to change the oil in my own car, instead of paying a place $40.00 to do it, the only question is, how do I dispose of the oil myself. obviously it can't go down the drain or in a river, so where do I take it to have it disposed of?

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1912721' date='Jul 6 2009, 12:35 PM']Okay, so I think I have it figured out how to change the oil in my own car, instead of paying a place $40.00 to do it, the only question is, how do I dispose of the oil myself. obviously it can't go down the drain or in a river, so where do I take it to have it disposed of?[/quote]
Pour it into the gutter, but only do it when no one is watching.

;)

Christie_M

i usually take it down to a mechanic/auto shop and give them about $5 to take care of it. there's also a place near the beach that is a recycling center for used oil (i'm not exactly sure you're that close to it. :unsure: )

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1912731' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:46 PM']i usually take it down to a mechanic/auto shop and give them about $5 to take care of it. there's also a place near the beach that is a recycling center for used oil (i'm not exactly sure you're that close to it. :unsure: )[/quote]

Yeah lots of mechanic shops, especially mom and pop ones, will recycle it for you for a low fee. And our recycling center has an area for used oil as well. .

LouisvilleFan

AutoZone will let you pour it in their recycle bin in the back room for free. Buy the new oil there and change it in their parking lot: done in one trip.

I used to change my own oil, but it was often so physically difficult. The oil fiddler was in the most awkward position that could only be accessed at a particular angle, and if I ever had someone else change it, the fiddler was screwed on so tight it might be impossible to remove by hand. So that's one thing I don't mind paying for, even though I'd rather do it myself if it was easier.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

I just burn the stuff in my own yard.

Then again, my nieghbor is bear, and he doesn't complain much.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1912749' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:11 PM']I went ahead and dumped it in the gutter.[/quote]

:mellow:

Not sure if these recycling centers are near you, Adam, but I believe some of them take used oil

[url="http://www.co.livingston.mi.us/SolidWaste/wastereduction2a.asp?subject=Recycling+Centers+"]http://www.co.livingston.mi.us/SolidWaste/...ycling+Centers+[/url]

Motor Oil Recycling Centers

[url="http://www.co.livingston.mi.us/SolidWaste/hhwOilRecyclers.htm"]http://www.co.livingston.mi.us/SolidWaste/...ilRecyclers.htm[/url]

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1912725' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:39 PM']Pour it into the gutter, but only do it when no one is watching.

;)[/quote]
:getaclue:

I hope you're kidding. That stuff is super toxic. Storm sewers generally drain into local waterways -- in other words YOUR local water supply.

Either take it to AutoZone or burn it. ("Recycling" just means they sell it as cheap heating oil. It's going to be burned.)

morostheos

It's not a good idea to burn it on your own. When you burn oil on your own instead of it being used for a boiler the burn is not as clean and produces a lot more pollutants. Back yard burning of oil and other wastes is actually a significant contributor for several air pollutants.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1912721' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:35 PM']Okay, so I think I have it figured out how to change the oil in my own car, instead of paying a place $40.00 to do it, the only question is, how do I dispose of the oil myself. obviously it can't go down the drain or in a river, so where do I take it to have it disposed of?[/quote]
autozone

franciscanheart

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1912749' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:11 PM']Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and dumped it in the gutter.[/quote]
I hope you get caught doing that someday. :mellow: You've just endangered the lives of people AND animals. :rolleyes: Dumb move.

kamiller42

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1912721' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:35 PM']Okay, so I think I have it figured out how to change the oil in my own car, instead of paying a place $40.00 to do it, the only question is, how do I dispose of the oil myself. obviously it can't go down the drain or in a river, so where do I take it to have it disposed of?[/quote]
I used to go to Walmart and buy their unadvertised "bring your own oil" deal. You bring your own oil, pay them $10 for labor, and you're done. Now you can't walk away without spending $30. Ouch. The Goodyear place next door advertises $22 changes. Sometimes I do that or get a package deal with a local car wash. $34 for oil change and a good cleaning.

When I did the changes myself, I would dispose for free at AutoZone. The other auto parts dealers, Pep Boys and O'Reilly, might offer a similar service.